.44 Mag fans

I have always wondered what a blackhawk or superblackhawk would be like to shot or how they rate compared to superredhawks I know the grips are different and blackhawks are sa but was wondering about accuracy and comfort. Any opinons?

1redneck, the Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks are capable of being just as accurate as the Redhawk/SuperRedhawks. Comfort is a very subject thing, personally I find the Super Redhawk to be one of the easiest shooting 44's around - it's much easier on my hand than the small Blackhawk grip. The recoil is different between them, the Blackhawks tend to roll up more (which beats up the pinky finger of my shooting hand) while the Redhawks come back more - they still rise make no mistake, but the recoil comes back into your hand more.

The Ruger Bisleys handle recoil much better than the Blackhawk/Super Blackhawks do, in my opinion. I'm going to be converting my 45 Colt Blackhawk to a Bisley grip soon to make it more comfortable to shoot the big loads.

JohnK. Have you ever hunted with your 44. Do you pefer hardcast or hollow point bullets. I have heard good things about both. Soft point factor loads are more accurate in my gun in factory loads I am just started to load my own and very willing to expairment with differint loads. Any input? Much apperciated. Good shootin

I have not hunted with my revolvers, I shoot a lot but don't hunt (don't have anything against it, I just don't do it :))

I have however talked with a lot of people who do. The general concensus seems to be hard cast bullets for big or tough game - hogs, bear, elk, moose etc, and hollow points for thin skinned animals like deer. Hornadys 250gr XTP seems to be very highly regarded among deer hunters. Hard cast bullets work well too, many handgun hunters belive that a shot that goes all the way through is very desirable, but I think the majority go with a hollow point for deer type game.

My Vaquero rarely gets more than 12-24 rounds run through it by me at any one sitting. I usually shoot with 1 or 2 friends, like to share the fun, and rarely have more than 50 rounds of .44 Mag ammo at the range with me at any one session.

I don't know how typical our shooting sessions are, but last big powder-burning ceremony had three shooters who consumed:

30 rds .44 Magnum
20 rds .32 H&R Magnum
50 rds .357 Magnum
50 rds .22 Magnum
20 rds .41 Magnum
26 rds 10mm Auto
40 rds .32 ACP
87 rds .45 ACP
100 rds .38 Special
100 rds .30 Carbine
150 rds 7.62x39
30 rds .303 Brit
10 rds .308
35 rds 7.62x54R
and
8 12ga shotshells
plus
a whole bunch of .22LR

As you can see, our recreational shooting sessions go more for variety than anything else... ;)

I shoot a Mountain Gun, and after 50 rounds, I've had enough. Would shooting a heavier Redhawk or Super Redhawk be easier? Has anyone shot both?

A few years ago, I believe John Taffin wrote an article in American Handgunner warning about shooting too many magnums and the adverse affects it had taken over the years on his hands and wrists. Just a thought.

>>As you can see, our recreational shooting sessions go more for
>>variety than anything else...

I'd say so.

justinr1

plnkr1234

A 5.5" Redhawk (especially when wearing Pachmayr Decelerators) is CONSIDERABLY more comfortable than a Mtn Gun.

The beauty of the .44 Mag. is that you can handload it for any occasion! Most of mine are either 5 gr. of bullseye or 8 grains of Unique or Universal. Very seldom do I need the "thrill" of 18 or 19 gr. of 2400. My handloads are very cheap, also. A nickel for the bullet, a penny for the primer and a penny for the powder. I remember reading an article about Elmer Keith, where he said that he shot his .44 Magnum about 600 times in a year. I don't believe any caliber can come close to the .44 Mag. for versatility. Tack-driving accuracy at ALL power levels and the option of any power that's needed!

On a typical trip to the range, I will usually shoot 50 rounds of .44 mag out of either my SRH or SBH. I also will shoot .45 acp, 40 cal., 9mm, .357 mag and a lot of .22.
Jim Hall

Shoulder arms- 5 shots from a .30/30 or 2 rounds of High Brass # 5's in 12 ga is my upper limit.

Hand held-Unknown. The money or attention span gave out before I did.

Beer- 3 Killian's Red Brutus's at Applebees and I'm gone :D

Hello dewey,

Thanks for the tip, I'd started light so that I could work up to something rather than just starting at the max load. I'm going to work up to JohnK suggestion rather than stopping at 20.2gr.

The reason for working up the Laser Cast 300gr TC is that I'm looking for a cheaper way to hunt. Currently I use Sierra 300gr JSP which do a great job on the wild hog here in Texas. I'd love to be able to tell you what the retained weight and expansion is but I've never recovered a bullet ( usually straight through the shoulder and out the other side! ).

Hello 1redneck,

I think that hollowpoints are the way to go for deer, and as I've said the JSP are the way to go for hard skined animals.

Regards,

Duncan

Back