.44 Mag fans

101_proof

How much .44 do you normally shoot in one session? I ask this cause someone posted in GD about fatigue of .44 Mag when shooting Apes.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=74150&pagenumber=2

Myself I put a lot downrange, sometimes as much as 500 rounds, it doesn't bother me at all. If I could afford it I would shoot all day long and be happy as a pig in doo doo stink. FWIW I shoot a SS Redhawk 7.5 bbl, maybe a smaller gun will wear me down? Or am I just a recoil loving psycho??????

I usually try to limit myself to 100 rnds of full snort 44mag. Not because of shooter fatigue, it's due to wallet fatigue. If I want to put an insane amount of ammo downrange, I use my .22's.

Yep, you're a recoil loving psycho :)

I normally shoot 200-400 rounds / shooting session but only maybe 50-100 will be full bore magnum rounds in my S&W M29's. The rest will be a mix of 44 specials, 22's and whatever else I brought along on that trip.

JohnK,

How do you get those .22 rimfires to shoot through a M29?:D

I probably wouldn't go over 50 rounds with my 629 in a single session for fear of developing a recoil induced flinch. It's not due to the discomfort of shooting the .44mag though.

R6

I roll my own - but even at my reduced ammo cost I'll only do a 50 box or two per outing before swithing to something else. The "lesser" calibers are just as much fun, and much easier on the wallet.

Use my 44 Redhawk at IPSC matches, 210PF.

Big booming heavy bullet nuclear grizzly-hunting loads make me stop after 20 or so (last time I made and tested some "stupids" my elbow hurt for a week).

Reloading my own vastly increases my volume of rounds per session, while reducing cost to boot. If its an insane day the .22LR comes to the range too. ... well ok maybe I spend the same amount but I sure do send more lead down range.

Normally 100 per session, more when working up a load.

This week it's been around 500, ranging from 18.2gr - 20.2gr W296 / 300gr TC Laser Cast to try an find the sweet spot for this bullet with my 7.5" Redhawk.

Regards,

UK2TX

UK2TX you might want to try 21.5gr of H110/W296 under that 300gr TC in 44 mag, that's a load that shoots very well in just about everything. Expect around1,300fps from your 7.5" Redhawk.

Hello JohnK,

Thanks very much for the tip, I've been struggling with leading in the lower powder weights and had settled on 20.2gr since it was the recommended max.

Regards,

Uk2TX

It's good to see we have some reloaders here.

I normally shoot up to 150 rounds a session. I roll my own and even with the difficulty of getting free 44 mag range brass, it costs me the same to shoot 44 mag as it does 45 ACP.

I just need to keep picking up 44 mag cases when the tourists stop playing Clint Eastwood with the range's Redhawk and 629.

No more than 50 rounds per session. It costs too much to shoot magnum ammo (even my reloads). I flirted with reduced loads and LSW's, but found that it was just like shooting a .45auto, but not as cheap.

---> HEY UK2Tx

If your .44MAG is leading at lower charges try
using a softer lead, say a BHN of 12 to 14. The
bullet base will melt easier and seal the gas from blowing by the base and melting the sides of your
bullet...ie, bump up or obturate. At higher charges this is not an issue and harder( 18+ )slugs can be used....Hope this helps....dewey

The other day i had my cousin over and we went through 210 full magnum rounds and about 500 different lighter loads.:)

I have never shot more than 100 or so but would be willing, reloaders have the advantage here they can load what works for them alot cheaper than factoryloads. super red hawks are incredibly confortable to shoot and some can probably shot as much as they want with that gun provided they had the ammo

1redneck, reloaders do have a big cost advantage over those who don't - full power magnum loads made with hard cast bullets only run $3-5/box quite a savings compared to $25 or more for factory magnums.

But cost isn't the reason that I only shoot 50-100 big bore magnums (357 isn't a big magnum). The reason I shoot that few is that my hands get tired from controlling the recoil and my shooting suffers. After that many magnums I'm just making noise and throwing lead down range in what can only loosely be described as "groups". I can shoot 357/45 acp/9mm etc all day, but the big magnums - esp in the Ruger Blackhawk - take a lot more concentration to shoot well, at least for me.

Back