44 Mag choices

i paid $600 for my plain-jane stainless Anaconda. it was worth the money, i like it a lot more than my Red Hawk. there are several on gunsamerica for about this price right now.

My $0.02 worth:

This is a bit big and heavy for OWB carry, but my choice for .44 mag goes to Taurus, Raging Bull, 8 3/8" barrel, ported in satin SS.

Their proprietary grip really helps with recoil, although I could use one a bit thicker/bigger for my hands / porting does a good job controlling flip and rise.

I'm shooting their adj iron sights out to 75 -100yds, usually from bag rests, some free hand, factory ammo of various mfgrs and accuracy of the weapon is better than my 59 year old hands and eyes. Have bought Taurus' scope mount and considering a couple of eer pistol scopes, just waiting for the cash flow to get a bit better.

Conclusion: I LIKE IT!!

I have really taken a shine to my new Smith & Wesson 629-5. Pre agreement/post agreement makes no difference to me. Got a good deal, and the Mountain gun shoots wonderful. It actually makes a pretty darn good CCW revolver with Sam Andrews leather, and 240 grain LSWC Blazers. MepPro night sights are next, and I have to replace those skinny factory stocks.

I'm with Fatcat. But I'd have to disagree on the Dan Wesson's. sorry but you can't get pre-new company DW's serviced without paying through the nose. They have excellent customer service but only a new Dan Wesson which you pay through the nose for.

And while Taurus' customer service and quality has improved, they still run mainlky a clone shop on the revolver side of the house.

And Colt, well, I've handled a half dozen Pythons and a dozen Anaconda's and have found their triggers to be on par with Ruger's. SW of course makes the smoothest triggers and actions in the biz.

But if Smyth and Welson is out, who else is left?

Older Smiths are nice but I'd be concerned about their ability to withstand a diet of smack down loads over time.

Recommendation: Ruger Redhawk in 7.5 or larger barrel. No scope for maximum utility. What no scope. yeah, every spank a deer? I have. Called still hunting. How do you think those poacher use a .22lr handgun on a buck. Scopes? Plezzzzz.

Or if you MUST to scope it for medical/ADA reasons, a Super Redhawk.

If you want new, non-S&W, than I have to agree with everyone and say 5.5" Stainless Redhawk. Super strong gun, easy to maintain, normally nice triggers right out of the box, several good options for replacement grips, and you can play around with all sorts of different iron sights on it easily with the spring loaded front sight.

Callahan, Until a couple of weeks ago, I was on the same mission you are on now. I had narrowed my search on two solutions: Ruger Redhawk or Colt Anaconda. My personal opinion on the Redhawk is nice sidearm, but butt-ugly, and I have a Colt King Cobra I love so I was leaning towards finding an Anaconda. My caliber of choice is .45LC, and miracle of miracles, I found exactly what I was looking for at a gunshow: Used Stainless Colt Anaconda, 6" barrel in .45LC in terrific shape for $550.

But, if I were in your shoes with the limitations of new only, and .44Mag because you have the brass and reloading dies, I'd definitely snag a Redhawk.
.....Dan in GA

From the responses here I would say you have a grand choice of a Redhawk or Super Redhawk since Dan Wesson is out of the budget. They are stout guns and I have had a Redhawk for several years.

I know they have cleaned up their act over the years, but Taurus leaves me a little cold. I guess I will always feel that way. They used to be the king of cheaply made guns for many years, with Ruger being the queen.

They are nowhere near as nice as my SW 29 with 6 inch Magnaported barrel, blueprinted action, with Leupold 2x scope. Unfortunately, a thief unloaded that from me up in Memphis a few years ago. BTW, if anyone sees or owns my SW now take good care of it. It was truly a work of art.

One more thought. If it is a purely utilitarian gun, the ruger is by far the strongest of the bunch if you're going to run warm/hot handloads.
Also, you won't feel to bad about a few "battle scars" on the ruger. It was meant to be USED, not be a showpiece. :D

You might also consider a GOOD shoulder rig, instead of hip carry. I find that it's easier to carry that way while hiking/hunting. Less likely to snag on underbrush, better weight distribution for long days in the field.

"They have excellent customer service but only a new Dan Wesson which you pay through the nose for."

My 744 4" cost $480, I wouldn't think that was "paying through the nose" for a gun of this quality.

Out of budget? What is your budget if $480 is to much??? Last I checked, new Redhawks were in the $450 range.

I vote for the Redhawk also. I've owned two/own one and they've always been fantastic. I like the sight feature too, right now I'm using nite sites on it.

Some years back I bought a Taurus Model 44, .44 magnum, 4 inch compensated barrel. I was verry pleased with this weapon. I got the 4 inch to carry around in the woods as a back up. I treat it as a utility weapon and find it to be as hearty as the Rugers. Accuracy is very good for a 4 inch barrel, and the compensator work very well when I shoot the Georga Arms 300 gr rounds. I feel its a good choice to consider along with the Rugers.
good luck
DA:D

Well, I've decided

I went with a used Dan Wesson. Blued, excellent condition, comes with a six and an eight inch barrel and all of the tools plus a scope mount (no rings). Not a scratch or scuff anywhere.

Paid six hundred. Good deal?

MEBBE YES MEBBE NO (355g WLN mmmmmmmmmmmgood)

Some BFBullets are TFLong to fit sissy little cylinders.

Redhawks have BFCylinders.

Picked up the DW today. What a gun!!

Regarding the cylinder length issue, I don't really know fromwhere to where to measure. So I pushed a loaded cartridge into the cylinder (while the cylinder was out of the gun) and viewed the cylinder from the "business" end. Plenty of room! Heck, those heavy custom lead bullet offerings will fit with room to spare. Whew! Overall length of the cylinder is 1.755".

The blued finish is Ruger-like. Black. Not as attractive as Colt or S&W's blue finishes, but it'll do. This is gonna be a heavy use gun, not a safe queen. I shoot a lot of lead bullets so I really like the idea of being able to remove the barrel for cleaning.

Great gun. Pics and range report tomorrow.

Callahan

Back