.44 JHP for bear?

A 240grain JHP 44 mag will kill a black bear just as quickly dead as anything else given a good hit. No matter what you use you might be engaging this bear in big hurry and up real close. So that's the part you need to consider, the bullets fine for the job. You don't need an exit wound unless you are tracking. I shot a big deer with a 240 grain JHP from a super blackhawk. I hit him in broadside right behind front shoulder but a bit high. The fully expanded bullet was located under the hide at his rump, never took a step. I noticed a big bump on the rump and split the hide and out popped the bullet. I have no fear of using JHP from a 44mag on just about anything. Is there a bullet that will shoot right through the bear, make a 44 size hole and then keep flying? Yes there is. But for self defense that's not always a good thing. IMHO, you have the bullet I would carry.

Again thanks for the replies. I am going to pick up a can of spray, good idea. .44 ammo has been like hens teeth in my area, Cabelas may have some Buffalo Bore. Bear hasn't been back that I know of, but now it sure gets my attention when the dog goes off! The pelts I've felt, doesn't seem like their hide is extraordinarily thick, thick skull with pronounced angles so I can see why a head shot might not be a good idea.

It has been pretty well established for a long time that a heavy hard-cast semi-wad-cutter bullet with a large meplat works very well from the .44 Maggie.

Conventional wisdom has always said hard cast wadcutters are the best way to go. But there is a guy who hangs out over at The Highroad and on a few other fourms named JJHack. He is a guide who has used 44 mag revolvers quite a bit on some bear a lot bigger than 400 lbs. He seems convinced that at least some JHP bullets are a better choice. I've always leaned toward hardcast myself, but it is hard to argue with someone who has had personal experience dozens of times vs theory.

Lots of us are members of both fourms. Might be worth a PM to get his advice in more detail.

Back