.410?

The 410 is great for squirrels, But the 410 is NOT a shotgun, 410 is the bore if the 410 were a shotgun its gauge would be a 65 gauge (or therebouts)

Rather, the .410 is not a gauge, it's a bore. Shotguns can be chambered in .410 bore.

I have a .410 and it would be great for squirrel and other little critters like that. But I wouln't suggest buying one. The cost of ammo is way too much for what you get.

Buy a 12ga or 20ga instead. They are cheaper to shoot and a heckuva lot more versatile.

Don't know abut squirrels, but my Dad and I killed a ton of rabbits with the .410. Load was 3" shell and 7-1/2 shot. Always.

Biggest problem I see w/ .410, or rather its application, is use of shot size too large. Even a load of #6 shot is pretty sparse from a .410.

I found a small supply of the short 2-3/4 shell loaded with #8, and suspect that will be a good load as well, but have not hunted it.

The 410 is great for squirrels, But the 410 is NOT a shotgun, 410 is the bore if the 410 were a shotgun its gauge would be a 65 gauge (or therebouts)

The 410 is most certainly a shotgun, even though it does not use the usual gauge designation. That's not what determines a shotgun, it's more important that it's a smoothbore.

A 410 would be fine for squirrel and if that's what I already had I'd use it for that. As a weapon for deer I wouldn't go that route. And I speak as someone who killed my first deer as a child with a 410. A doe, but I shot her at a whopping 20 yards and she still ran a helluva ways. It's just pretty weak for deer.

Also as others have said already many stores carry a very limited selection of 410 shells if they have any at all. And they are pricey little suckers in stores around here too. Yeah you can order a box online but I personally hate ordering things online where the shipping costs as much or more than the thing you are ordering.

I'd get at least a 20 gauge. Some manufacturer (mossberg maybe) actually sells a combo model shotgun that comes with a smoothbore barrel and a rifled barrel for slugs.

The 410 is most certainly a shotgun, even though it does not use the usual gauge designation. That's not what determines a shotgun, it's more important that it's a smoothbore

I am not sure if it is the smoothbore what determines if it is a shotgun or not. I have shot guns with both rifled & smooth barrels, I have rifles that shoot "shot"
(bird shot). Shotguns as a rule are designated buy there gauger, 12, 20,16, 28, etc, the 410 is described by its bore. as are other rifles 30/06, .308. .270 etc.
You may well be correct!, But I think the .410 is an anomaly in the gun world and the owner can call it whatever they choose. (I know what I would call it & it would not be either) msn

Last edited:
I'll go so far as to agree that the 410 name does not match the usual convention for shotgun names.

However, trying to argue that a 410 is not a shotgun is too silly for words. Other than the name, please cite one way in which a 410 is fundamentally different than a 12 gauge.

"...please cite one way in which a 410 is fundamentally different than a 12 gauge."

"There ain't ary." :D

I saw a 9mm shotgun in the Roy Acuff collection on display at Opryland. European-made. I'm not quite sure as to an appropriate use...

"...please cite one way in which a 410 is fundamentally different than a 12 gauge."

"There ain't ary."

Precisely.

I saw a 9mm shotgun in the Roy Acuff collection on display at Opryland. European-made. I'm not quite sure as to an appropriate use...

Garden guns, for shooting rabbits, starlings and similar pests at very short range. I've seen 9mm rimfire bolt action smoothbores from Winchester (made long ago) and Anschutz (made recently). Fiocchi still makes ammo in shot sizes from 6 to 9.

I once almost bought a Bernadelli 9mm semiauto shotgun, but the deal fell through.

I'll go so far as to agree that the 410 name does not match the usual convention for shotgun names.

However, trying to argue that a 410 is not a shotgun is too silly for words. Other than the name, please cite one way in which a 410 is fundamentally different than a 12 gauge

You are absolutely right! I stand corrected, msn

I live in Pennsylvania and for a long time a .410 was not classified as a shotgun. They are now legal in shotgun (Special Regulations) areas, but were not for years because they are measured as a caliber. Many people thought that the .410 was not legal in the whole state but that is not true. I guess if a revolver and .45 caliber muzzle loader is good enough, a .410 would be O.K. for deer, although I have never used one on a deer. To listen to some people, a 12 gauge smooth bore is no longer adequate. Think about this: If a 20 gauge has a rifled bore, is it still a shotgun? I have seen Ithaca boys rifles with .22 smooth bore barrels for rat shot. What are they called?
We are drifting here. I used a .410 for years with #5 shot for squirrels. I had to special order a case to get #5 shot from Federal. Less pellets when you skin them. You can carry a whole box around with you, but they are really not cheaper than 12 gauge shells.

Last edited:
I looked at the Pennsylvania gun laws since 2006...I could not find anything saying a 410 was not a shotgun or could not be used.....Anyone have any proof?

If pennsylvania had that law on the books, it certainly did not agree with BATFE's definition. IF you cut one down under 18" w/o a O.D.D. registration you get into a heap O'trouble. Rifles you can go down to 16" before that kicks in. I think I'll go with the .fed definition.

You don't have to agree with me but if you roll the dice you take your chances.

Now I would believe that the state had a minumum power floor codified that the 410 didn't meet.

Legal for deer in a rifle area, not legal for deer in a shotgun only area. State law, what more do you need? When Pa. started special regulations areas (Shotgun only) that was the law. It may have been more than 3 years since it changed, time flies. I had no idea they made baiting deer illegal again in Spec Regs areas. I really don't keep up on the book and don't bait anyway. The .410 law change may go back more than 3 years. The original debate was "When is a .410 not considered a shotgun?". There you have it. The Pennsylvania State Game Commission did not consider it a shotgun. Other states do have a power limit on shotguns, but in Pa. it was legal in a rifle area as far back as I can remember.

Last edited:
I get it.

Shotguns are legal for hunting in shotgun areas.

.410's are not legal for hunting in shotgun areas.

Therefore; .410's are not shotguns.

:)

Another post

So I took my uncles old single shot .410 to the range this past week. It held about 4 inches at 50 yards with slugs (winchester super-x). I can only assume that with a rifled bore (which the circuit judge has) it would be more accurate, although that still puts it in the vitals of a deer at that distance.

At 25 yards with #6 it made a nice pattern although there was a good point above about the judge donuting the pattern. I wonder what effect this might have while squirrel hunting.

I may end up buying a single shot .410, Although fast-eddie's lever-action was a nice temptation. A single shot would be a good thing to give to the kid for her first squirrel hunt (5 more years). Still may buy the circuit judge, especially if they do end up making pistol caliber cartridges legal in rifles in Illinois. Plus, Art Eatman, I kinda like that silly look it has.

Back