.410 slug, enough to take down a deer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The energy is there, but I think accuracy is the limiting factor.

Ive thought about using my .410 single shot for PA deer season, but accuracy is terrible when shooting slugs through the full choke. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting past 25 yards.

410 enough power?

yes. a 410 slug is powerful enough to bring down a deer, however you need to get within bow hunting range. the drop on a .410 slug is rapid so aim high, I also suggest to use high base shells, hot loads, and you can find rifled slugs I think Federal makes the best ones and they have a plastic pointed tip, those suggestions will certainly increase your range and accuracy, getting up close is up to you, 50yds max. good luck.

If you question it, why use it? Obviously there are guns out there that would do a better job... why not use them instead? A lever-action 30-30 is pretty cheap, and proven to harvest deer.

I've seen a .410 slug drop a deer with 1 shot, but it was extremely close and the guy hit the deer in the neck, I doubt that was where he was even aiming. So yes it'll do it, but I doubt I'd hand it out to every Tom, Dick, and Harry that wanted to hunt on my land.

The .30 Carbine- which many folks feel is marginal at best for deer- would be better.

Sure, it can be done, but there little margin for error.

Well of course it is but it isn't BC it's simply not the way to do it. Too much chance of wounding an animal that a .243 would have humanely dispatched.

If indeed the 410 slug is legal in your State. To put a scope on. I see no problem in doing that. If that's what you want to do to accommodate, out state visitors who may want to hunt the use of your 410. Your a Good Sportsman, I commend you for your actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back