.410 Shotgun Squirrel Killer

My father always used a Remington 512 Sportmaster 22 S,L&LR to hunt squirrels. His father bought it in 1940 and it’s now mine and it is still extremely accurate. My grandfather would put light-anywhere matches in the edge of a piece of cardboard and then put it on the top of a fence and shoot from 15 ft away and light those matches. My father would always aim at the tree limb or trunk directly below the head of the squirrel and the squirrel would fall out of the tree and my father would put the heel of his boot on the neck of the squirrel and break its neck. No meat ruined. My father can also clean a squirrel in less than a minute.

I killed my first squirrel with a Savage 24 in 22/410 that was a friends’ fathers rifle. When I found a decent one at a pawn shop I bought it so I’d always have one. I’d like that 222/20 ga spoke of earlier!

4-6 shot is good medicine for squirrel...if you aren’t a very good shot with a 22.. ;~)

Would you say 12 gauge has too much oomph to it or is it still good for squirrel?
With a given choke, all shotguns should pattern the same. That is to say, a .410 and a 12 gauge shotgun with an improved choke shooting the same size shot should both put the same percentage of their shot within a circle at the same distance. The big difference between them is that since the 12 gauge shoots a much heavier load of shot, that works out to a whole lot more pellets.
I started out with a .410 hunting squirrels as a kid, which worked out pretty well. I eventually moved up to a 20 gauge though and I actually thought it was a lot easier to use for the reasons listed above.
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/shotgun-gauges-10-vs-12-vs-16-vs-20-vs-28-vs-410/

I you can get anywhere close to a squirrel a .410 will work great. You will need to use the 3" magnum in #4 or #5 shot but it will pull them from the tree tops if you do your part.
My old Mossberg bolt action works well to fill the dinner pot.
24mcpe9.jpg

My squirrel gun is . . .

My squirrel gun is a Savage 42. 22 mag barrel with 410 under it. I've killed dozens of squirrels with a 410 shooting #4 shot. I use the 410 barrel if the tree rat is in a tree and I'm shooting in a direction that may have buildings etc with in a mile. If I've got a clean ground shot and I know the bullet won't go far I hit it with the 22 mag. I've got a scope on the gun and the two barrels line up just fine. I've walked and stalked squirrels and I've still hunted them too. Both seem to work if you adjust for your circumstances.

My best advice about squirrel hunting is . . . leave the big red fox squirrels in the woods. Very tough. Really hard to skin and the meat is tough too.

Life is good.
Prof Young

No problems with Fox Squirrels

My best advice about squirrel hunting is . . . leave the big red fox squirrels in the woods. Very tough. Really hard to skin and the meat is tough too.

I'll admit that I prefer Greys to Fox squirrels but have never had skinning or cooking problems. Yes, I prefer the greys but never pass up a shot on any. ….. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Shot for Squuirels...

For smaller gauges, use the #6, and MOD or tighter chokes,
for 12 & 16, consider using #5 shot and you'll minimize retained shot in the meat.

For scopes, consider a 1 -4X variable, and sight-in @ 25 yards as the maximum "point-blank" will be 32 yards. Try grouping various ammo brands to see which groups /tighter and use that ammo.

I use a 16GA with either a SKT or MOD choked barrel, ,22 rifle is either, Ruger 77/22, Marlin Model 60 or Model 100.

Four inch revolver and Woodsman, sometime gets carried .

Just take your time and ENJOY the woods!

Where I used to live I had a Squirrel Problem. I had the only pecan tree for 200 yards in any direction and the squirrels knew about it. I killed way over 200 squirrels out of that one tree before I stopped counting. Some times I used CB 22s but most times it was my old Sheridan Blue Streak in 20 caliber and after that gun wore out a Crosman/Benjiman 22 caliber pump gun. Four or five pumps from either gun was more than enough for clean kills. The pellets matter more than the power.

I Don't like camo but I learned that camo clothes really confused squirrels. They see you but can't figure out what you are. I had one squirrel climb down a limb so close I thought the little sucker was going to jump on me. I waved my arms and he ran off.

About any .410 load should kill a squirrel. They are not that tough. Just never pick up a wounded one. They will bite the hell out of you.:eek:

Back