41. Rem Mag, a worthy step up?

Love my S&W M&P model 58.

I reload for it, but if I didn't already have it, I'd not even remotely consider getting into the .41 Mag cartridge now.

The .41 Mag is bordering on being a "dead round" in factory ammo today. And as others have pointed out, sourcing components is iffy in the current post-Pandemic market. The .44 Mag dwarfs it in both areas - factory ammo and reloading components.

Ammo thing will pass

I was a 44 magnum fan, first had a Rugger SA (might have had a S&W 44, long ago), then I saw a 41 magnum in the N frame and fell head over heals.

Sold the whichever one I had and been shooting the 41 for 40 some years now.

Granted I reload for it, plenty of powder and bullets.

Never had to use it but it was my woods gun when back in the day I prowled around lakes and streams fishing. Mostly it was intended as a noise maker.

Back then it was curl up (Grizzly) and take your beating unless it did not stop.

Now its bear spray.

If you want into the world of “big bore magnums”, no. It’s not worthy.

There is something really special about full-house .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .460 or .500. It means maybe working out doing hand-strength exercises, preparing to absorb massive recoil, wear plugs and muffs, and throw fire hydrant sized slugs of lead like Thor’s hammer down range, propelled by tablespoons of H-110.

It’s something. But after a summer of having fun and one white-tail season, I backed off. Backed off to stout .44 Magnum level. Then backed off again to stout .45 Colt loads. Now I enjoy solid .44 Special range loads more than beating myself silly. But I am glad I tried that world out. It was fun.

.40 is stout enough to make you shake your hand and say “howdy” after a cylinder of stiff loads, and elite enough that you’ll never be let down that you can’t find a box at the local Fleet Farm. Of course you can’t find it, you never could. You’re an elite hand loader, and that’s cool.

Your pistol is going to be much lighter and handier to walk the woods with than a real big bore hand cannon, too. In a pinch though, it won’t anchor a bass boat near as well as a .500 S&W.

I’ve never owned one, but it strikes me as a very practical revolver for hunting even very large white-tails. Sort of the perfect revolver that is just enough for any practical uses. Therefore, it’s a commercial flop. Because “bigger is better” is easy to sell.

It’s a great practical hunting choice, it’s just not a hand cannon. If you want elk, moose, Cape buffalo, dinosaurs… .44 Magnum might do it, but I’d go for the Casull. Wait, no, I’d use a rifle.

For walking around, .32 H&R for me. All the trouble of hand loading with none of the hand-slapping recoil. I’d shoot a deer with it, in the right circumstance. Plenty were taken with .32-20 rifles in the old days. Really, I’d put slugs in my shotgun if I wanted to hunt deer again.

Last edited:
.40 is stout enough to make you shake your hand and say “howdy” after a cylinder of stiff loads, and elite enough that you’ll never be let down that you can’t find a box at the local Fleet Farm.
.40? ... Hope you meant .41, not .40S&W. :eek:

I had a .41 Mag about 40 years ago. Ruger Blackhawk, (old model) with the shorter barrel (4 5/8?")

great gun, good cartridge, I liked it a lot. BUT...after I got it, I learned that it wasn't legal for deer where I lived at the time. SO, before deer season, the nice .41 went away, replaced by a Marlin 336 .30-30 which the state had no problem with as a deer gun.

Later on, i passed over the .41 again, as #1) I had already had one, and #2) there was no gun in .41Mag that didn't also come in .44 Mag, and #3) .44Mag had lots more ammo and bullet choices.

There's nothing wrong with the .41 Mag, just not enough right things to make me choose it over a .44 Mag.

And, FWIW, TODAY that sweet little .41 Blackhawk I had would be deer legal in my state. grrrrrr....

50 years ago I had a 4 inch Smith .41 that was my regular carry gun. Lots of power but less recoil than my .44 . If you cast and lubrisize bullets,go for it. Otherwise, I recommend a Model 27 or 29. But Im a crusty old timer with lots of opinions

Here's my opinion. I've had pretty much all of them. The .41 is a good cartridge and I can't criticize it except that to get into the .41 you're going to limit yourself on future purchases since .41's aren't exactly numerous.

I've had several of the SBH Bisley 454's and frankly, I'd pass on it. The cylinder throats are oversized and the cylinder itself is on the short side so if you were to load some longer 454's, they may not even chamber. To me it makes more sense as a "heavy" .45 Colt.

My suggestion is to go with the 44 Mag. You have a lot of options to choose from, both in guns and bullets. It's more powerful than .41 Mag and more accurate than the Ruger .45 Colts, which all have undersized cylinder throats. Yes there are bigger options out there but I've settled on the .44 Mag, it will do anything I will ever ask of a handgun and then some. Every 44 Mag Ruger or S&W I own and have owned have all be quite accurate too. You can't go wrong with the .44

Disclaimer: I don't own a .41 magnum. That said I think it is a totally capable cartridge that definitely belongs in the the "big bore magnum" club.

That said, from the tone of your posts you might be happier with the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .480 Ruger. Maybe even harder to find the gun (although Ruger still lists it at their site) and ammo but it will definitely be a step up recoil wise.

Or, if you're not wedded to a single action go for the S&W .460 Magnum and shoot the wimpy .454 Casulls or even .45 Colts where you won't even notice the recoil at all :D.

Good luck.

Ruger SBH .480
https://ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkBisley/models.html

S&W .460
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-460xvr?sku=163460
Note: also comes in shorter barrel
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-460xvr?sku=163465

I can shoot 45 Colt all day and 454 when I need some recoil therapy. Or even load 45 Colt to 44 mag levels when I’d like some punch.
Sounds like you already have a .454 and you do reload. You should be able to find cast .41 bullets on-line at just about any bullet manufacturer like Rim Rock for example. Selection may be a bit thin. And you have Starline for cases. But personally I have no use for the .41. A niche cartridge trying to find its way.... I don't think it is needed as we already have the .44 (.429) Special/Magnum. Much more common. And when you 'think' you need more power you just go up the .45 and .454, .480, .500 ... and so on. Your call though :) . This is only my opinion....

While the .41 is a good magnum cartridge (I have 3 revolvers and a Marlin carbine chambered for it), it's a handloading proposition only, and that assessment is based on normal times: (When components are readily available). From my viewpoint, you'd be far better to get a .44 Magnum...easier to find brass and bullets, and a slightly bigger punch if you hunt with it.

I have a pair of Rugers in .41. A 3-screw Old Model with a 4-5/8" bbl. that's a pleasure to carry, while the other sports a 6-1/2" bbl'd, it's a flat top that's a range toy. One nice thing about an old model .41 is that they were made with an alloy frame, saving weight on the belt. Mine's fully six oz.s lighter than my steel framed Flat Top...the down side is that felt recoil is noticeably heavier.

I also have a 6" Smith Model 57 that's basically a range gun as well. Either of the long bbl'd guns make a good hunting revolver if carried cross-chest in a tanker type holster.

.44 Magnums can be had in most any bbl. length but you pay for the caliber in weight on the gun belt. For carry, a 4" Smith is my choice since it's easy to tote on an OWB holster without poking up into your short ribs while seated in any modern conveyance.

HTH's Rod

I've owned several Smiths since the 70s and bought a Ruger Bisley in the 80s. Now, I've reloaded it since the 70s because factory ammo was and is ridiculous. I did a bunch of hotrod loading back then, too. The 57 and 657, with the extra cylinder beef, stood up to those loads much better than my 29 and 629. The Ruger is a TANK, but I confess I fell in love with the 44 Special and 45 Colt Blackhawks (2 each). I still own the 41 Bisley and cut down my 6" 657 to 4". As with the 44 and 45, I load the 41s with 215 SWC to 1000-1100 and they are delightful.

I can shoot 45 Colt all day and 454 when I need some recoil therapy.

I’d just like to hear some of your guy’s thoughts about the 41 Mag.

Perhaps if you don't reload, if you do the .44 magnum is one of the most versatile rounds out and you can reload it down to cowboy action or a hot bear round. Your .357 magnum will take a white tale but you better know how shoot and then it should be coming out of a carbine. Not many States will let you use it on deer however.

Your notion about recoil therapy, it's a lot of money for a gun and ammo you will most likely ever shoot .45 colt out of. The .454 Casull can even make a 12 gauge buckshot round feel tame.
And good luck with all that. :)

Back