41. Rem Mag, a worthy step up?

KansasTrapper77

I am trying to get into the world of large bore magnums. I would like to hunt Whitetail with it. I bought a Ruger Security Six a few years back and love the gun. It shoots well and I’m dangerous out to 50 yards, but I’d like to step it up as .357 is on the bottom of the magnum food chain. I have been looking for a SA 454 Cas specifically a Ruger Bisley. I can shoot 45 Colt all day and 454 when I need some recoil therapy. Or even load 45 Colt to 44 mag levels when I’d like some punch. But as far as I can tell they’re as rare as hens teeth and pricey when you find them, easily over $1000. I walked into a local store and saw a stainless Ruger Bisley and my heart ‘lept. No cigar, it’s a .41 Rem Magnum. I’ve always thought the .41 Rem mag was a neat cartridge but not in that “Large Bore” magnum circle really. But the price has me thinking otherwise. Would the .41 Rem Mag be a reasonable step up from the .357? Will it scratch that itch for recoil therapy? I’m sure it will flatten any whitetail that takes one in the boiler room. But would it be underpowered if I carried it as bear repellent up north? It literally ticks every box in gun design and features except for cartridge. So perhaps in the future get a barrel swapped?

I’d just like to hear some of your guy’s thoughts about the 41 Mag.

If you would like a complete comparison and a good read, find Max Prasac's Big-Bore Revolvers. I like the 41 Mag; it is currently my "woods gun". But for me it has more to do with the gun than the cartridge. My 357 is a 4" GP-100, very handy. My first "big bore" was, and is, a 45 Colt 7 1/2" Blackhawk, great gun but not as easy to carry. I also have a 44 Mag 7 1/2" Redhawk, same thing. Then I found a 41 Mag 6 1/2" Blackhawk. Like the bears' porridge, it's "just right".

That said, there's a reason the 44 Mag is dominant. And unless you load your own (Everyone should!) you may be hard pressed to find 41 ammo, even in normal times. Bear busters is another topic that generates long threads. I say "fuhgetaboutit".

Last edited:
My 1st center fire handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. I liked the cartridge but couldn't afford to feed it. This would have been late 1970's, I was in college and working part time. The last box of ammo I bought cost me over $30. Remember, this was over 40 years ago and that was a LOT of money for anyone.

In the real world it does anything the 44 mag does and for the guy who wants to be different from the crowd is a good choice. Ammo is more readily available now and the prices are closer.

The .41Mag is definitely a step up in power from the .357Mag.
So perhaps in the future get a barrel swapped?
I would highly recommend that if you want some other caliber than a .41Mag, you buy a gun in that caliber rather than try to change up your .41Mag down the road at some point.

A Barrel replacement is probably far fetched. Although I do think it might still be easier than finding a Bisley in 45 Colt. I am interested in a .41 Mag more than the .44 Mag just to be different. My ultimate goal is a 454 Casull but they’re a bit rare and pricey, so to the question. Is the .41 Mag a worth step up from .357? Maybe I’ll just climb the big bore magnums till I reach my goal or pain tolerance whichever comes first.

Side note I do have the ability to hand load. And I know there is an RCBS die set at a local store.

The difference between a 41 mag and a 44 mag is less than the difference between a 280 and a 30-06; anything one can do, the other can do. It's a great cartridge . . . go for it!

I’ve killed over fifty deer with the .357mag in several different revolvers…mostly S&W’s. I’ve killed another dozen+ with other calibers including the 44mag using a Ruger SBH and a S&W model 29 and a 629. The only deer I ever lost with a handgun was hit with the 44mag shot out of my model 629. I made a bad shot, it happens sometimes. It’s not the cartridge, it’s the shooter when hunting with a handgun. Good hits with any cartridge count a lot more than muzzle energy or diameter. As far as the 41mag goes, save yourself some time and trouble and just get the 44mag. It’s a LOT easier to find cases, bullets, and loaded ammo for the 44 and they’re both very capable cartridges.

Big fan of the .41Mag and prefer it over the .44Mag. It does well and you can thump yourself with some heavy recoil if you want to.

There are more powerful cartridges than both for sure. I have a .414 Supermag to compliment my .41Mags.

41 Mag.

Don't forget the .41 Mag shoots a flatter trajectory than a .44, has less recoil and only .019 difference in diam.(.41-.429 ) The .44 should be called the .43 Mag not .44 mag!

Don't forget the .41 Mag shoots a flatter trajectory than a .44, has less recoil and only .019 difference in diam.(.41-.429 ) The .44 should be called the .43 Mag not .44 mag!

And don't forget that while true, the difference is small and largely irrelevant.

.41 "shoots flatter!" yep, it does, take a look at some drop tables. I just looked at the ones in my Hornady book.

Sighted for 25 yards,
Their .41 caliber 210gr jacketed bullet at 1500fps drops 6.6" at 100yds.
Their .44 caliber 200gr jacketed bullet at 1500fps drops 6.8" at 100 yds.

That's a whopping 0.2" difference. The book clearly shows the .41 shoots flatter, in this case by a whole 1/5" inch.

Using the more common .44Mag load of a 240gr @ 1400fps, drop at 100 is 7.7". SO the .41 shoots flatter yet, in direct comparision of drop, by abouit an inch. (1.1" in the book).

How is this important? The only way I can see it making any difference at all is if you are shooting both side by side, and for some reason using a .44 that isn't sighted in properly and a .41 that is, holding on the same aiming point.

Less recoil? Maybe YOU can tell the difference, I cannot. On paper the energy levels are less than 15% different. In guns of the same size and weight, I simply cannot tell the difference, or find it enough to matter. And I don't think there's any animal out there that can tell the difference when it gets hit, either.

The .41 Mag is a good cartridge. I've had one. My experience is that it is in not way superior to the .44 Mag, and the slightly lower power doesn't make any practical difference in the field. I don't hate the .41, but I'm not in love with it, and I choose .44s over the .41 due to the greater range of bullets available.

You've found a nice .41 at a "good price". Cool. Now, think about WHY that is? Check the pre-panic prices, and the MSRPs between similar .41 Mags and .44 Mags and there isn't much (if any) difference.

.41s on dealers shelves, (new or used) tend to stay there longer than .44s at the same price point. Its a popularity thing. Often, after a while, the .41's price gets lowered, hoping someone will buy it because it (now) costs less.

And then there is ammo availability. Back in the old days, when everything was "normal" the .41 was less likely to be found on the shelves. An inconvenience, (espeicially in the pre-internet online order days) but not a deal breaker. Today? I can't say, but I think there is a bit of a "bubble" going on.

My theory is that when one finds .41 mag guns and ammo, now, its most likely they are "leftover' from earlier production and have been sitting around waiting for someone to buy them. They're here now, simply because no one bought them before. And, I think that when the supply of those guns and ammo dries up, it will be some time before they show up again, because manufacturers are concentrating on making other, more popular guns and ammo.

If you can get a good supply of .41 ammo/cases/bullets NOW, for what you feel is a good price, go for it. Just don't expect ongoing continuous manufacturing support. Other calibers are going to have much higher priority manufacture for some time to come, at the very least.

As to why its the .44Mag and not the .43 Mag, well that's marketing and history. DO some research and you'll find out why our ".38s" shoot .36cal bullets and our .44s shoot .43 cal bullets.

The .41 Mag was a fine concept, originally envisioned and promoted by several influential gun writers as the "ideal police round". They were looking for a .41 cal 200gr(ish) bullet at about 900fps (+/-) in a police service class revolver.

Remington, in what hindsight shows to have been yet another of their many blunders, saw it as a magnum round, and that's what they focused on, and the magnum load ammo was what they first produced, and produced the most of. By the time they got around to putting out enough of the lower level "police load" (a 210 LSWC in the 900fps range) the major police groups had already tested the ".41 Mag" with mag loads and found them not suitable. SO, hope of it becoming a replacement for the .38 Special in police use went away, for good.

The .41 is niche round, it has a small, but loyal following so it has hung on, but its unlikely to ever go beyond that. The .44 Mag offers more capability and choices, and to many (if not most) that matters.

In practical terms, if you can do it with a .41 Mag, you can do it with a .44Mag and the .44 can also do some things a .41 can't.

If your ultimate dream is a .454 or one of the other monster mags, SPEND THE MONEY, and get one. I doubt anything is going to get cheaper any time soon, if ever...

I have owned revolvers from .38special to the .460. I've hunted with all of them. The only one I still hunt with is my Stainless Ruger Redhawk in .41mag. It by far is the most accurate caliber I have ever shot. It does everything I have ever needed to do and it does it very comfortably. I have handloaded for it for over 30 years so having ammo is not a problem. There are still many suppliers of components out there producing as of this post. Most current manufactures are still manufacturing cartridges in several configurations at least here in Texas.
The gun has become a cult caliber and I am a member of this cult. I no longer have the .460, .454, 45LC, 44mag, because my .41mags meet and exceed my needs. I still have my .357mag and serves purposes as well.
My advice as has already been given, choose what is best for you and go for it.
Here's my three.
41mags.JPG

I am not going to argue which is the better cartridge for deer, the .41 or the .44 magnum. Rather, I'm going to ask which is more available and at what cost? If the one you chose is going to be shot once or twice a year for hunting, then the question doesn't really matter. However, if you are going to shoot it several times a year at a range or at tin cans, I would go with the .44 magnum.

Iowans have a love affair with the 41 Magnum, maybe other midwesterners too. A 41 Bisley would bring top dollar ($650) around here, even 41 Blackhawks bring $550 - $600. They go for crazy money at live auctions, so if you can get a good deal on one I’d go for it. BUT, better see if you can get any ammo for it before you get in too deep.

ammo

I'd suggest that the .41 would be OK if you reload. If you only shoot factory ammo, the .44 (usually!!!) is easier to find, 'round here anyhow.

I'd say the .44 mag is far more versatile, having a bit more power, and a wide range of projectiles available as loaded ammo, and as components. One can even shoot .44 Specials if it comes to it.

There is nothing wrong with 41mag and it is a step up from 357mag. Other than that why mess with it? They are like 16g shotguns, not enough bigger than a 20g or smaller than a 12g to go out of your way to get. Personally a 44mag is better because of all the choices with it. Factory Ammo, Factory bullets which provide countless loads along with cast bullet choices. I’m thinning down my collection and the 41mags were 1st to go. Got rid of 3 S&W m57s in last few months. Seeing that most models are available in 41 & 44 mag at the same price, 44 is a no brainer.

After spending a weekend checking local stores and not finding a single .410 bullet I’m pretty hesitant. I can find dies and even some loaded ammo but not much in the ways of bullets. I’m pretty new to the forum and can’t figure out how to quote someone but to 44 AMP if I could find a .454 I would spend the money. But I can’t find any of the darn things. Other than a Freedom Arms that looks like it bounced around the floorboards of someone’s truck for a decade. So I’ll probably sit on my hands and try to be patient. It’s the hardest part haha.

It’s this simple, if you handload get it. If you don’t handload skip it. Brass is available from Starline, and several vendors sell bullets online. As far as bullets available off the shelf, most bigger stores that carry a good assortment of Hornady bullets will have the 210gr XTP’s on hand. Both copper plated and Hitec coated are available from a number of vendors as are cast lead. As for handloading it’s an extremely versatile round to load from mild .357 level loads up to wild thumpers.

At this time, finding .41 is not much different than finding .357, .44, or .45C.

During good times, .41 is not that difficult.

Handholding makes .41 and .44 much more versatile.

The .41 is an awesome cartridge and a huge step up from .357.

Which to choose, between .357, .41, .44, and .45C?

Easy, have all 4. When you find a good deal, JUMP.

I pretty much tell everyone who inquires about .41, .44, .45 Magnum class revolvers the same thing. Pick the one that appeals to you most. Don't worry about factory ammo availability at all.

If you don't reload, buy a set of Lee dies and a Lee APP. For the price of 100 factory rounds, you can be ready to load your own ammo.

41 mag

I love my S&W model 57 41 Mag.

It is a reloader's dream.

I shoot .41Special for indoor range practice and full house loads for boar hunting.

Go for it!

Back