40S&W ammo?

As a reloader and 40 lover I know that I can Safely load for more power with 165 bullets than 180s. I have to assume,because I don't care to look it up,that the ammo manufacturers generate the most power with the 165. That's power I'm talking about,weight times velocity, not taking into account sectional density,cross section or any small details available to argue about. Nick C S said it best.....

As a reloader and 40 lover I know that I can Safely load for more power with 165 bullets than 180s. I have to assume,because I don't care to look it up,that the ammo manufacturers generate the most power with the 165. That's power I'm talking about,weight times velocity, not taking into account sectional density,cross section or any small details available to argue about. Nick C S said it best.....
Kinetic energy is 1/2 mass * (velocity squared) but in the world of handguns it does not mean much. The explosive kinetic energy is only seen in rifle rounds. Normal Handgun rounds do not generate the shock wave rifle rounds do. In a handgun, you basically have permanent wound channel and depth.
The formula you list is for momentum.

I always considered. For 9mm, 115g to be light, 124g medium, and 147g to be heavy.

For 357 mag. 125s are light, 158s medium, and 180s heavy.

As a reloader I have found that I prefer medium to heavy bullets, depending on the cartridge. They just seem to be more efficient. But that's is just what I have seen. And it all comes down to personal preference.
The "light" stuff is its own category and there are people who are into it. For instance, two of the more common lightweight choices for .40S&W are 155 and 135 grains. I've seen 105 and 80 grains for 9mm. Heck, one company makes a 50-grain defensive load in 9mm!

I've shot 155-grain factory ammo when choices were limited. I didn't notice much of a difference versus my normal 165-grain. Of course, I didn't shoot that much of it and I didn't "test" it against different media or anything.

I've never messed around with the really light stuff.

Hornady Critical Defense 165's. I changed to a 45 for my carry pistol, and picked up CD 185's for that reason. Fired them into ballistic gel and they messed that gel dummy's day up. My choice and suggestion.

It's important to realize that since the rise of internet experts and another round of FBI testing, it's pretty well known that most .40 ammo is ineffective, produces excessive recoil, reduces capacity, damages firearms and threatens the climate.

If you check YouTube and many forums, it's well-accepted that .40 ammo is essentially harmless, won't stop anyone and often refuses to even fire at all. Even if it does, the person you shoot with it will simply burst out laughing at you for not using a modern 9mm defensive cartridge...

Larry

Sights

I'm a 180 gr fan, it's data brings it close to .45 acp numbers, and I'm a long time .45 shooter. But.....

My only .40 s&w handgun is a fixed sighted number, and 180's shoot to point of aim, lighter , full power bullet weights land problematically lower.

It's important to realize that since the rise of internet experts and another round of FBI testing, it's pretty well known that most .40 ammo is ineffective, produces excessive recoil, reduces capacity, damages firearms and threatens the climate.

If you check YouTube and many forums, it's well-accepted that .40 ammo is essentially harmless, won't stop anyone and often refuses to even fire at all. Even if it does, the person you shoot with it will simply burst out laughing at you for not using a modern 9mm defensive cartridge...

Larry
Thanks, I really needed that humor today :)

Back