40mm Ammo

HunterT

Inactive
Hi there, it's me again.
I was wondering what kinds of ammo I could get for a 40 mm grenade launcher(without getting on some govt watch list) and if I could reload my own 40mm ammo(I think it has something to do with .38 blanks:confused:).

Many thanks in advance,
Hunter

40mm ammo is listed as a dangerous device.

Every round must have an NFA tax stamp and be registered with the federal government.

There was a thread a while back on a 40mm forum about a guy loading his own rounds, pics and all...lets just say his hand and lower arm looked like a bowl of spaghetti...

For non-explosive 40mm ammo, it's easy. Buy "Grog's" 40mm reloading CD(s). Follow instructions. ;)

The launcher is regulated as a destructive device. Explosive rounds will also be regulated. Smoke, pepper, practice chalk, incindeary all should be ok.

The beehive round fires 18 22.r shells at one time for quite a punch.

The beehive round fires 18 22.r shells at one time for quite a punch.

I've always wondered about that Beehive round. As it fires more than one round with the pull of a trigger, why was it never classified as a machinegun? It is my understanding that Beehives can still be manufactured and sold without restriction (I believe that it is only the launcher that needs registration). Does anyone know if this is correct?

Wow Thanks for all the replies.
If reloading 40 mm ammo is dangerous, then I'll scrap that and keep my hands.
I think Practice rounds and the beehive rounds sound best. I don't really feel like gassing anything or blowing anything up.

Thanks

The 40mm practice rounds for the M203 simply used a .38 blank cartridge which can be pushed out after firing and a new one inserted and it is ready to go again. The blue capped rounds have an orange powder in the cap and when it impacts the cap braks open and the powder allows you to see where it hit. The problem is reusing the blue pastic caps. They can be salvaged and reglued only so many times until they look like a miniature Tiffany lampshade. They are very safe to reload, no powder or explosive is used.

I've always wondered about that Beehive round. As it fires more than one round with the pull of a trigger, why was it never classified as a machinegun? It is my understanding that Beehives can still be manufactured and sold without restriction (I believe that it is only the launcher that needs registration). Does anyone know if this is correct?

It only fires once with one pull of the trigger. It just happens to fire more than one chamber. If it were to be classed as a machine gun numerous double barrel shotguns would fit that definition.

It only fires once with one pull of the trigger. It just happens to fire more than one chamber. If it were to be classed as a machine gun numerous double barrel shotguns would fit that definition.

Shotguns only fire one shot with the pull of the trigger. My understanding is that if an o/u shotgun was modified to fire two shots at the same time, it would be classified as a machinegun. I've also been told in another discussion that modifying a COP .357 (4-barrel pepperbox pistol) to fire more than 1 shot at a time would make it a machinegun (this was done for the movie blade-runner)

1 trigger pull......more than one shot fired = machine gun. That is how the Beehive works.

My understanding is that if an o/u shotgun was modified to fire two shots at the same time, it would be classified as a machinegun.

Yes but there are already double barrled shotguns made with double set triggers that work in which the forward trigger fires one barrel and the rear both(usually sxs). The propper way of firing such a gun is to pull the front trigger first and the rear second. If the rear is pulled first both barrels are fired. Its just the way they used to be made. Even though more than one cartrige is discharged the gun only fired once.
One function of the trigger, one shot, just two cartridges.

40mm shell casings

Trying to find someone that has and is successfully loading these 40mm cases for use as training rounds. I have plenty to get rid of. Were you successful in your quest to reload?

Just reading these 40mm threads brings back fond memories of my M-79 ... it was/is an excellent weapon and you'ld be surprised at how good you'ld get with it if you used it regularly.:D

I recall seeing anti-barricade rounds for 37mm launchers at gun shows back in the early to mid '90's. They were fairly long casings with a large rounded projectile. What exactly are these rounds? They didn't appear to be regulated since they weren't made for the 40mm launchers.

HE rounds are pretty much legally unobtainable for mere mortals. You need an ATF approved magazine, a license for explosives and a $200l tax on each one. Incinderaries are as restricted.

Last edited:
Double triggers on a SxS shotgun only fire one barrel per trigger.
IIRC, front trigger fires right barrel and rear trigger fires left barrel.
There's no reason or need for them to have been designed to fire both barrels with one trigger, at once.
You risk cracking the stock by dumping both barrels at once.
Double triggers were for firing 2 shots in rapid succession, such as hunting upland game. Single triggers do the same job with one less trigger.
If one trigger fires both barrels at once, you need to have it repaired.

Double set triggers were used on some rifles to give you a light trigger pull.
Double set, single phase triggers require you to pull the the rear(usually) trigger first, to "set" the trigger/sear for a light pull, and don't allow you to fire without first setting it.
Double set, double phase triggers allow you to set the trigger for a light pull, or just pull the front trigger without setting it first, giving you a normal trigger pull.

I hate to seem like a complete idiot, but it looks like I am going to have to stick my neck out and ask. Is it really worth all the trouble to go with the 40mm, or just stick with a 37 and reload your own shells if you aren't looking to to find HE or incindiary?
I have even seen "bird bombs" at the gun shows for the 37 mm that would lob around 50 yards, then boom!!!!! Ddesigned to scare birds off of your property. I would guess in this instance the definition of birds is fairly loose.

Back