40 S&W

My G23.4 to me is unbeatable. I've had HK's and SIG's and in a moment of weakness let them go. I had a 357 SIG barrel for my 229. Have an OEM 357 SIG barrel for the G23. Put the 40 caliber barrel back in the gun when the stampede of 40 haters came my way. If were not dead broke, one of those near new police trade in G22's would have been mine. All these guns were great. I like the quality of my problems having to make a choice.

Last edited:
My Kimber 1911 Long Slide Target. It is chanbered in 10mm Auto, and it feeds, and shoots .40S&W just fine. I do not have to comb the planet to find my spent brass shooting .40 S&W.

Glock 22 then the SW40VE & SD40. The S&W has better ergonomics. Both are dependable but the Glock has many more aftermarket stuff to tinker with.

Toss up between the two that I own in 40 cal. Glock 35 and S&W M&P40c.

I used the M&P40c more, can actually carry that one. Lately it's been wearing a 9mm slide at the range for cheaper ammo.

My most favored 40cal handgun

My most favored 40cal handgun: I guess luck is with me on the Glock 23. Shot 40 rounds of WW FMJ several weeks ago. Accurate with no problems.

We took the family out for a shoot the day after Thanksgiving. The grand nephews fired actually several hundred rounds in the "cluck" There were no malfunctions period

I'm cutting this short running back to see if the gun is laying in pieces from the dreaded post firing internet failure. :eek:

I really didn't pay much attention to Glock pistols until they offered the Model 23 in .40 S&W caliber. Had an EAA Witness for 25 years and it was extremely accurate, but the Glock is lighter for carry, and now with the Pachmayr grip sleeve, longer shooting sessions are much more comfortable.
I also like the fact it is a "striker" fired pistol. Faster lock-time and no hammer snagging on clothing material:

pFvXfYm.jpg

Beretta PX4 Storm. It might be the softest shooting option with a polymer frame. The ergonomics are good. For carry though, you really need to install the low-profile levers.

Sorry I did not see your post any sooner.

The Shield 40 is a joy to shoot. I am not bothered with any flip or recoil.

The Shield 40 went from a zero to a hero by putting the Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit in it. It is a 1.0 version of the Shield and the trigger WAS horrible, making the gun hard to shoot with any accuracy (i wanted to throw it in the trash can...lol). Now it is very accurate.

Beretta Storm. Bought one recently that was a police trade in. It's a soft shooter and I liked it so much I ordered another one.

I love the 40... have a USP 40 compact with LEM that is great. Rebuilt a Beretta 96 centurion with every Wilson Combat upgrade I could install... but the one I like bet is the Springfield Armory EMP in 40.

Recoil has never been an issue for me with this caliber... always will be the one I go to. Not the fastest and not the heaviest but the perfect balance. Kind of the light heavyweight of handgun calibers.

Hi Power

My only .40SW is a Hi Power. When purchased, the .40 was a new item, and as at that time, I had little confidence in the 9mm as a fighting cartridge, yet still admired the HP for its history and appearance. When the .40 became available, it was an easy choice.

My acceptance of the 9mm has altered some, but I am still glad I bought a HP in .40. Not really common, a Browning design (for the most part) and mine has proven accurate and reliable.

My current favorite for shooting is probably my M&P 40 Performance Center ported model. It is just a sweet shooter. My only problem with it is I need to find a holster that protects the magazine release. I stopped carrying it because the mag release is extremely easy to press. As a result, I have had a couple accidental magazine releases while holstered.

My old favorite was a BHP .40, and I agree with other comments that it is a very nice pistol.

On my list to try in are a Sig 229 DAK and a S&W 4006TSW. I had the opportunity to try a 9mm 229DAK during a course at the Sig Academy, and really liked the pistol. I've also always loved the 3rd Gen S&W pistols.

FWIW, In addition to the aforementioned M&P and BHP; I have owned a G22, G27, M&P40c, and a Rugerr KP94 (my first 40).

YMMV

Back