.40 S&W and the guns that shoot them

Here's another vote for the STI. I shoot a standard dustcover and guide rod. The whole pistol weighs under 38 ounces and the recoil is very manageable and it groups well enough to win, win, win...

TCW wrote:

Wouldn't the CZ-75 have about the same recoil as a BHP?

I believe the recoil in the CZ 75 B is quite manageable. Much more so than the Ruger P94 I sold last year: mainly 'cause I couldn't hit a thing with it.

--
Mike

[Edited by mbott on 04-18-2001 at 05:13 PM]

You said you tryed a Glock, But did you try doing something about the recoil? I use Hartt recoil reducers in mine and the G27 has about the same recoil as the G26 in 9mm. No problems with followup shots. I did replace the barrel so I could handload hot ammo, and not have to worry about the KB's (which all 40 short&wimpy factory guns have problems (A unsupported, or very nearly so, chamber)). The Hartt recoil reducer is a new spring rod filled with mercury.

The guys at Glocktalk didn't like the fact I was using it, but I have several glocks with them and many thousands of HOT loads shot through them.wolfz

the P229 was designed specifically around the 40 S&W caliber. The recoil is something to get used to. All guns have their own signature recoil for each caliber. More practice with the 40 S&W will help your muscle memory, making the gun comfortable to shoot in time.

Gunreview Webmaster

I recently bought a .40 H&K USP Expert. To me, the felt recoil (with 180 grain ball ammo) is not that much different from my Beretta Elite II. Both guns are much more accurate than my capabilities to shoot them, so I can’t comment with any authority on this aspect. I think they're both fine pistols.

You said you tryed a Glock, But did you try doing something about the recoil? I use Hartt recoil reducers in mine and the G27 has about the same recoil as the G26 in 9mm.

I never tried (or heard of the Hartt recoil reducers). Do they make them for other makes of guns too? I like .45 Glocks (21,30) and the G26 (9mm), but most of the other 9mm and .40 Glocks I don't care for. I did find the G27 and G35 to be very accurate, but the grip ergonomics don't fit me well. The only reason I still have 3 Glocks (21,26,30) is that I like to shoot GSSF and only Glocks can be shot in GSSF matches. I don't think I want or need a .40 Glock. I would likely rather go for the Beretta, BHP or CZ in .40.

If you can, try a M-40 Steyr. Even without the trigger mod which has been discussed as its main fault, I find mine to be quite accurate, much less muzzle flip than a Walther p99, and very fast to reaquire shorter range targets. Many people seem to bash this gun with only having handled in a showroom or read something in a magazine. I hope to try mine in some compitition shooting this year. Also consider Beretta Cougar, it was incredible, the one I tried, along with a custom 45 Cougar, was my gun range owners personal carry gun. The 45 was smoother, but both were great. I was shooting his reloads so I can't compare to the stuff I put through my M40. Good luck

You don't need to spend mucho $$

Try a Taurus PT940. I shoot mine more accurately than any other centerfire semi I own - including my Ultra CDP. At about $350 for the blue gun, the option of carrying in either DA or cocked & locked SA, alloy frame, 10 rounds, & a lifetime warranty, you have nothing to lose!

I never liked the .40.

They always twisted in my hand and flipped to much.

The .40 cal was not as tight a grouping ammo as my 9mm's or my .45's.

Then I tried a ParaOrdnance P16-40.

As close to a 9mm recoil as it gets. The groups still aren't as tight as a full size nine, but I blame that on the .40 cal ammo--if you're not buying $15-for-twenty-round-boxes of ammo, it's just not a very accurate caliber.

The ParaOrdnance changed my mind a bit on .40 cal and I went out and bought an HK USP40c so that I'd have a compact gun in the caliber. I didn't have the same reaction to it as you did--the recoil seemed substantially less than most other compact .40's that I've shot. It's not as accurate as my buddys USPc in .45, but it's not bad either.

As I said, I never liked the .40 until I tried the ParaOrdnance. Now I own two guns in the caliber and will probably try a third...

Back