.40 S&W and the guns that shoot them

The .40 cartridge has a lot going for it. The street results so far have been fantastic, and .40 pistols combine good capacity with very good ballistics. I like the cartridge. One problem: I have not yet found a .40 gun that performs to my satisfaction.

Two things have kept me from buying a .40. First, the recoil is rather sharp when compared to 9mm and .45 ACP. I blame this on the guns more than the cartridge. Most .40s seem to be built up 9mms rather than (built up from scratch). Second, I have not yet found a .40 capable of delivering consistent sub 2" groups @ 25 yards (I require very good accuracy for IPSC competition). There are many 9mm and .45 ACP pistols out there that easily match these requirements (I own several that do). Again, I think it is more a fault of the .40 guns than the cartridge itself.

Recoil: I know recoil is subjective, but here is my point of view. The worst offenders are the Glocks and Sig Sauer P-Series. The Glock .40s are just too light (in weight) to control the sharp .40 recoil to my satisfaction. The Sig Sauers in .40 have a ton of muzzle flip (especially the P239 and P229). I have tried several other .40s and some do a better job of others at controlling recoil, but as a whole they all have a "sharper" recoil than a 9mm or .45. I'd appreciate suggestions in regard to .40s out there that might handle the "snap" of the .40 better.

Accuracy: Many of the makes with great accuracy reputations such as Sig Sauer and HK do not put out very accurate pistols in .40 IMO. I have tried most of the major "brand name" .40s and so far have not found one capable of producing sub 2" groups @ 25 yards on a consistent basis. Once in a while they do it, but not consistently. Is there anything out there that I overlooked that is capable of matching my accuracy requirements? I like the cartridges potential, but so far I find the guns chambered for .40 to be lacking.

My roommate's Beretta 96 has minimal recoil and muzzle flip compared to other .40 Autos i have fired especially against a Glock 22 and a SIG 229. I was generally against the .40 Auto for the reasons you have stated but after firing his Beretta i have changed my tune. I am thinking of getting one for myself after i save up from the SIG 220 i just bought.

I agree that the Beretta had less recoil (for a .40). My main complaint with the 96s I tried was the accuracy (just average). Of course, it could just be that I am not use to the Beretta ergonomics or trigger pulls?

On the recoil issue, try a Steyr M40. It has a very low bore axis, reports are that percieved recoil is lower than with other pistols.

I've just got one of the S&W Performance Center 40 revolvers. In the next couple of weeks I hope to FINALLY get around to shooting it. Looks like fun. Uses special moon clips, which are EXPENSIVE, but at least I will not have to be chassing the brass.

Try a Glock

I recently won a Glock, but the prize specified 9mm or 40 cal, no 45 or 10mm.

I picked a G27, and while recoil is stout, it is certainly manageable. I compete in IDPA, and consistantly place in the running with others I know are of a similar ability, while the shoot full sized 9s and 45s.

It is VERY accurate, when shooting at 7 yards it is a ragged hole, 25 is about 2.5".

I would be willing to bet that the mid sized and full sized models are even easier to shoot.

You didn't say what IPSC/USPSA division you compete in but if you're considering Limited, an STI 2011 is the best choice without a doubt.

You'd be amazed at how soft an extended dustcover/tungsten rod gun will shoot with the right load; heavy bullets and a fast power.

The STI Edge has all the goodies right from the factory ($1776 list). For a few hundred more, George Smith at EGW will build one to your specs on a frame of your choice. I have a custom built STI/EGW open gun and an Edge. By far the most significant difference (besides the obvious fact that one's open and one's limited) is that I got to spec every single part on the open gun. There were a few minor changes I made to the factory STI - trigger, safeties, and front sight. George at EGW is as fine a 'smith around for IPSC guns. He's honest and he stands behind his work.

As a B shooter, either gun satisfies my needs though the custom gun is certainly cooler. Given the amount (lack of) practice I get, 'cool' helps buffer the lack of self-esteem I get from my performance. :(

I can't speak to group sizes because I can't shoot groups for squat. My M class friend can easily put my open gun in 1" groups at 25 yds - never tried the limited gun though. 2" is plenty tight for a limited gun and 3" is probably okay for anyone short of a high A or M class. I can say for sure that my accuracy went way up when I moved from my Para P16 to the STI Edge. All around the gun shoots better and fits me better so I don't know how much of it was me and how much was the gun.

Anyway, here are some links for you:
http://www.stiguns.com/
http://www.shootersconnection.com/
http://www.egw-guns.com/

the most accurate and comfortable .40 i've ever shot is my berretta 96FS. at our last qualification, i shot master class (same as i usually do w/sig 220, shoot DM w/226) which was much better than i was able to do with the departmental 229 or my personal glock 22.

this was only the 2nd time i'd had the 96 out at the range, i was very impressed. i'd been shooting the 229 for about a year before going back to my 220/226. i've given up on the glock, going to try it out with a .357sig barrel next... don't get me wrong, i love my glock 19 but the 22 won't shoot for me

I've owned quite a few forty's over several years, Am currently down to 4 and of these the BHP in 40 is the clear winner in both the accuracy and recoil department. Give one a try, you just might like it.

try the Beretta 96 Elite 2. the Elite 2 is designed for competition shooting and has a lighter, better trigger than the standard 96. it also has a Brigadier slide which helps reduce recoil further. I have a Glock 22 and i don't find the recoil that bad. I also bought a G24C upper for my G22 and love it. the G24C is a long slided, compensated glock and it has very little recoil and amazing accuracy. the .40cal round in any gun will have sharper, snappier recoil than the 9mm or .45, i don't think it's the guns that it's chambered in; it's just the way that round recoils.

GunreviewWebmaster,

I wouldn't give up on the CZ 75 B in .40 caliber. I'm going to get mine back to the range on Thursday and I'm going to try my hardest to beat the 6.90 cm at 25 meters on the test target.

:) Anybody seen my glasses? :)

--
Mike

mbott,

I haven't given up on the CZ 75 in .40. Having owned CZs for a couple months now, I think very highly of them. I just wished/hoped that the .40 version would be as accurate as the 9mm version.

I can REALLY relate to this topic. After owning/shooting several 40s myself (and going through alot of money & trouble :(), I ended up with a Beretta Elite 2:D. All for the same reason you stated. No other 40 "in my hands" compares to it for accuracy, recoil, and handling. Honestly, I've never shot a 40cal BHP, but it seems like it would be a good choice. Anyhow, I can highly recommend the Beretta 96G Brigadier Elite II, it really makes the 40cal shine.:)

RECOIL - The least recoiling .40 I've ever fired was my father-in-law's BHP... Felt like a 9mm.

ACCURACY - A retired LEO, now gunshop counter clerk with LOTS of firearms experience (and a Glock armorer) tells me that although he HATES to admit it, his new Walther P99 in .40 is the most accurate .40 he has ever fired. He said that the trigger and sights contribute greatly to this in his opinion.

Onslaught,

I will give the .40 BHP a try soon(many people I know have that gun). I have shot a couple 9mm BHPs and they are nice except for the trigger (very poor pull weight IMO). I will have to factor in a trigger job if I get the BHP (I would not be happy keeping the stock pull weight). What is the price of the .40 BHP? Does Browning have a website?

My .02

Beretta

I have the 96 Brigadier Border Marshal. Smooth as glass compared to the plastic G22 & G23 my friends bring to shoot with. They sure put a lot of rounds through my gun. The G35 seems to recoil a little less in my hands. I'm am a diehard Sig P239 fan, but agree that the .40 S&W version can be hard to control for some. One of the reasons I went with 9mm was that reason. I've never shot a BHP in .40 S&W, but would love to try it.

Back