.40 from a short barrel?

From what I've ran over the chronograph over the years, the .40 does very well from short barrels. It loses some compared to a more normal barrel length but it doesn't change too drastically at all.

I have 4 40 S&W guns. Also have another gun that is 357 Sig.

All 5 of them cn be converted to run40 S&W, 357 Sig and 9mm.

I do all of that with 4 of the 5 guns and have not gotten around to getting a 9mm barrel (already have magazines) for the 357 Sig gun.

One of the 40 S&W guns is a Shield 40 1.0. 3.1" barrel. I usually carry Federal HST in it and it shoots it extremely well. On a forum that discusses M&P guns, there are threads about the short barrel ammo used and it performs quite well.

I also like the Underwood 140 Gr Extreme Penetrator.

The 40 is fine, short barrel or long.
My thoughts as well. I've got .40's in a Browning HP, Sig P229 & P226, as well as a fairly rare Colt Gold Cup Elite. All are just fine with any bullet weight and the recoil is no problem...it's a matter of training. While getting the muzzle back down out of recoil may cost you several mico-seconds, over that say from a 9mm in the same gun, it is of no practical importance for CC. If you're a competitor in one of the games, then the "split" times might matter if you're at Jerry Mikulek's level. Best Regards, Rod

My thoughts as well. I've got .40's in a Browning HP, Sig P229 & P226, as well as a fairly rare Colt Gold Cup Elite. All are just fine with any bullet weight and the recoil is no problem...it's a matter of training. While getting the muzzle back down out of recoil may cost you several mico-seconds, over that say from a 9mm in the same gun, it is of no practical importance for CC. If you're a competitor in one of the games, then the "split" times might matter if you're at Jerry Mikulek's level. Best Regards, Rod

No competition here. I also think .40 S&W is fine in guns like the P226 or P229. However, those are too big for me to comfortably carry concealed.

This thread is all about EDC for me. I like to shoot recreationally with whatever I carry for defense. I also like to shoot a sample of my regular defensive ammunition in addition to target loads. (I often start a session by drawing with whatever I'd been carrying.)

I don't expect a compact EDC gun to shoot like a full-sized range gun but I don't like it to be markedly unpleasant either. Once upon a time, this outlook had me favoring .38 special or .32 H&R magnum over .357 magnum in small revolvers. I was happy to adopt .327 Federal, which I still use in my LCR and SP101. My LCR still sees a lot of carry, especially during the hottest parts of summer. This thread is largely a result of prioritizing capacity during uncertain times.

Back