.40 Caliber Owner Rejoice!

The 40 S&W is like a Glock pistol to me. I have tried, very hard, to like this round. I can't. I haven't bought a Glock, but I have shot other folks, and it just dosen't fit me well; I can't shoot it accurately, either because they aren't accurate (the ones I shot) or I am not comfortable with them.

I went so far as to order, wait (9 months) and pay for a Les Baer Premier II in 40 S&W. The Premier II's are without a doubt excellent 1911's, and I know that this pistol is accurate because other folks are able to shoot it very well. I can't. I was never able to get any kind of groups with this pistol, either with open sights or with a Tasco Optima.

Before anyone tries to tell me that I am just recoil shy, and need to stay with my mild mannered .45 ACP's, I do shoot a 9x23 Win with excellent accuracy. Even when pushing a Hornady 125 gr FMJFP over 1600 FPS. This is out of a Colt 1911.

I don't know why I can't shoot 40 S&W. I have owned three pistols in 40 S&W; a Beretta Brigadear Elite, a S&W99 and the Les Baer. I have sold all three of them, because even with a lot of practice I still can't shoot them as well as my three .45 ACP 1911's or the 9x23 Win 1911.

Casey

Word on the street is that Marshall and Sanow's studies of ACTUAL SHOOTINGS gives and edge to the .40 over the .357 Sig on penetration and expansion albeit a slight margin.

The .40 is gaining a new round of approval as agencies continue to adopt it. It has my seal of approval as well.

[Edited by Will Beararms on 02-22-2001 at 01:12 PM]

Will Beararms,

I'm guessing the .40's heavier bullet weight has something to do with that. Did it state whether they were 180 grainers or even something lighter? (I'm guessing most LEO's are using 180 or at least 165/155.) Though its highly debatable whether Marshall/Sanow is the final word on performance I tend to trust their findings more than "lab" tests.

Within a given caliber its funny how certain combinations of bullet weight and velocity seem to work better than others. But the .40 seems like its fairly consistent as manstoppers in most weights while heavier bullets has the added advantage against walls and glass. Of course bullet design has come a long way to raise the performance of all loads.

FBI gel results, after cloth:

124/9 +P Gold Dot 20/.53 (410 ft lbs)

125/357SIG GD 19/.54 (506)

155/40 GD 18/.57 (475)

185/45 GD 14.75/.68 (453)
200/45 GD 18.8/.55 (490)
230/45 GD 14.3/.70 (370)

They all look pretty good to me.

Seven (7) shots is plenty. If I ever need to use em again, it will be just like the last time: over before either side gets past that. <G>

Back