4 wheeler ATV choice for the hunt ?

Just check out the UTV machines our Armed Services use.

When I worked full time for the Army Reserves at a maintenance facility we had Polaris Rangers, Kawasaki Mules, and JD Gators. I'm pretty sure the military is going all diesel for the UTV and burn JP8 in them, as long as it fits the bill they'll buy it. My last year I worked there 2012 we got 13 brand new 6X4 JD Gators and our Mules and Rangers were all 2010 or older models.

I wouldn't hesitate on the Honda IMO they have made the most reliable ATV's since they came out with ATC's.

That said we have the Kawasaki mule UTV machines the old style (3010 iirc) that are good solid machines and can be picked up reasonable.

They are not as fast or smooth as the Ranger or new Gators but they are fairly solid.

Carrying a rifle securely could be a problem.

That isn't really a problem at all. There are plenty of different attachments you can get for ATVs to carry guns.

Something as simple as this
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...ts/104194980.uts&WTz_l=undefined;cat104194980

Cases like this
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...ts/104194980.uts&WTz_l=undefined;cat104194980

Or if you go with the side by side you could go with something like this

I just threw these on here as an example because when I did a search for "ATV gun rack" Cabela's was the first site that came up and I knew they had about every different type. You can do a better more detailed search to find better prices once you know what kind you want

Here is the main page for Cabela's that came up after the search
http://www.cabelas.com/category/ATV-UTV-Gun-Storage-Mounts/104194980.uts

Honda Pioneer 500 for me! I'll order it in May so I can ram around this summer and enjoy it...that means about 5-10mph at this stage in the game!!
I looked at and tried friends Polaris 500. My back ached after riding awhile, and my arthrtic hips also.SXS is the way to go.Looking forward to some exploring, putting up some new stands, making a food plot and taking along a coyote getter (don't leave home without one).

I use the same monster I ride trails, and mud bogs with the rest of the year. Polaris 800 Sportsman. Not even cameo paint. I just cover it with a cameo cover when I get to my stand.
I even use it as a stand to sit in. I park it behind a brush pile, take the key out, and put the cover over it so it can't be considered a "motor vehicle" by the conservation agents, and sit on the seat sidesaddle style behind the brush.

I've recently bought a 2nd hand Yamaha Rhino and have to say its the best investment I've ever made! Have used a Honda TRX quad for the last few years but the Rhino is so much more comfortable and has better room for storage etc...
Highly recommend it:cool:

I've had 6 polaris' and 2 yamahas. The yamahas are much more reliable than the polaris I had. They start right up after sitting forever and are low maintenance. I've never had a honda but I have read a lot of negative reviews on the electric shift on the honda. I would avoid es models. Yamahas are a bit more expensive than the polaris but IMO worth it. If recommend an automatic and to save $$ get a used machine. A lot don't get driven much or hard.

$$$$$$$$ ya gotta be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, a bad knee due to injury, an arthritic hip opposite, now retired, guess I'll consider a ride. So much positive on the Honda Pioneer on this post, I just priced one on line.

Over $10,000 bucks........what????? And I hear other UTV's can be even more costly.

I have not paid that much for a true 4x4 pick-up or SUV, both still running, one I could drive across America, still. I'll keep limping, and leave for the woods a bit earlier.

I'm sure you can find a used atv in good condition for a lot lower than you think. Just takes time and looking.

I'm a Kawasaki fan and the Bayou was my vehicle of choice. Been using them since 87 starting with a little 185cc model and upgrading several times to the 220 and 300. The surprising thing was the 185 could go anywhere in two wheel drive. Our property was pretty swampy so if you could walk on it you could drive across it.

Polaris Sportsman 500 is probably the best value(price for usefulness) on the current market. Lots of used ones as many are buying/trading for UTVs. Over the years, I've had 5 Sportsman 500's and although you CAN break them, it takes some determined effort to do so.

My Dad used an ATV till he was in his early 80's. My cousin, on the other hand, quit ATV'swhen he couldn't get his leg over the seat. The Cuz went to a Bad Boy buggy and loved it till the Louisiana rainy season came. Then he realized that electric carts, no matter how jacked up, aren't good in deep heavy mud. He finally transitioned to a Japanese mini-truck, which was heavily modified for mud use. He had, and used, a new version JD Gator until his wife took it from him.

After watching all that evolve over the years, the electric is good if you don't have the deep mud or need a stout work vehicle. If you need gas powered, and a small vehicle is needed, the Yamaha Rhino is good in deep mud but is marginal as a work vehicle. As for other vehicles, there are plenty to choose from and I guess what you need depends on you. Pretty much anything will work fine for you if don't have to factor mud into your decision.

If you do have the deep mud, then a 4WD ATV will go where no side by side will go. I have an old Yamaha Big Bear 4WD that I have taken everywhere, and I have never gotten stuck. The winch on it has been used a lot to unstick other folks' vehicles and our Kubota UTV900 (which isn't a mud machine).

Back