4 wheeler ATV choice for the hunt ?

Sea Buck

At 70 my arthritic joints tell me it's time to find a new means of getting to my stands, getting to the hard to reach areas and doing chores at the camp food plot. What's your choice? I am thinking of a Honda Pioneer 500 SXS,which will get my old bones and my 30-06 or .243 to the stand and more.

Have looked at a used John Deere Gator? I have a buddy of mine that had one forever and he used it every day on his ranch. If its mainly for hunting, how about a electric golf cart kinda like a Bad Boy Buggy? I hunt with a older gentleman, just turned 83, and absoluetely loves it. What ever you decide, I'd highly recommend a winch no matter what. You'd be surprised of the uses you'll find for it.

I had a 4 wheeler, sold it last year and went to a JD Gator since my boys are about to be with me all the time. I couldn't imagine going back to a 4 wheeler again. I looked hard at the Pioneer but there was a lot I didn't like about it with all the fold down seating and drive. I want a bed to be a bed and seats to be seats.

The side by sides have a lot to offer. Lots of money too. I don't use mine for hunting, at least not yet, but picked up a used Honda Rancher several years ago for a fraction of what a side by side would cost. I added a storage box with seat. They are not recommended for a passenger, but I often use that way. I'd highly recommend Honda if you decide to go either route.

Both side by sides and traditional ATV's have their advantages. You can put the ATV into places a side by will never go, and for less money. Of course the side by sides can carry a lot more stuff, and be more comfortable.

I volunteer with a local SAR team and use mine primarily for that purpose. Our members have a mix of both types. The bigger ones are used to shuttle people and gear farther off road to get into areas we are searching. The smaller ATV's are used in some places at times where people wouldn't normally walk.

Lots of choices, and one is as good as another. If you are in areas that allow for easy travel, I would go with a side by side. If your in tighter hunting areas, I'd go with a 4-wheeler.

Only reason I posted is to let you know of a little accessory I purchased about 2 years ago, that has taken ALL the work out of hunting. I'm 65 years old, and it got where I was really having trouble lifting my game up on my 4-wheeler. I hurt myself several times trying to lift a hog or deer, and get it tied down to get it out, and back to the truck.

It's called a "Hook-a-Rack. I'm not a salesman for the company, but I should get a commission, as many of them as I have sold for them, from people who have watched mine work.

They will fit on virtually any machine, and will lift up to 350 lbs and secure the load with absolutely NO HEAVY lifting on the user.

At my age and physical condition, I can't imagine hunting without one.

Just a thought.

I like the Pioneer. With it's narrow wheel base it will go on trails that wider SXS are banned.A winch is necessary and will be part of my gear.Honda makes a box for the rear or I can fab something for a fraction of the cost.The seats look uncomfortable but I won't know until I test drive.Lawn chair cushions may be an option. Carrying a rifle securely could be a problem.

If you don't need a work sidebyside and you don't have to go through heavy mud, I'd go with an electric version. Quiet is good. The deer don't seem to pay much attention to my loud diesel Kubota, but the coyotes sure do.

In UTV's Polaris Ranger I consider being the best. 900 cc Most roomiest too. Just check out the UTV machines our Armed Services use. Then you'll know which is indeed "the best over all the rest."

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-utv/ranger-xp-900-eps-northstar-deluxe-edition

I drive a Arctic Cat 500 ATV too and from my stand. Windshield, Hand protectors & Heated handle bar grips with scabbard for my 270 or 300 Sav sure helps on those early before daylight rides. And too returning to camp in those after dark cold temps. Unlike those machines sold years ago. These new ATV's & UTVs with fuel injection always seem to start and run good. One personal reason I chose to ride a ATV back & forth to my stand. It's a 1/2 mile from my cabin. And having that ATV parked near my stand sure comes in handy every now and then. I'm never late having to use the facility's back in camp. And I always have first pick of those 4 chairs at the supper table in the evening. You'll catch me sitting in one chair at the table labeled the "Cat Birds Seat" more often than not Old Timer. Be kind to yourself and those old legs. Buy a machine. You won't be disappointed sir.

I have a disabled hunter placard so anything I am using is legally considered a mobility device. I have a JD MC crawler and I can use that if I have to. I have several motorcycles that I use and I have one of those Zooma scooters that I regeared so it will pull me and a small trailer up mountain roads.

Five years ago I picked up an Agricat Model A crawler. If I drop an animal and it is way in I can drive the crawler off the trailer and then hook the trailer on the back of the crawler. I also have multiple game carts that I can hook up to what ever vehicle I want to.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I just bought a pioneer 500 & love it. I am 68 & like you can't get around my Proprty like I used to.There in big demand so should you decide on the Pioneer give yourself plenty of time before the season. I had to wait 3 mos to get mine.That also says something about their quality.

I did a lot of research before buying and it came down to the Polaris or the Honda. Recent customer reviews about quality control issues in particular engines catching on fire with the Polaris convivinced me to go with Honda. They have the best reliability record in the industry

You'll also find that you are comfortable ,have plenty of room for your hunting gear and with the use of the previously mentioned lifting device you'll never have to lift or drag a deer again

Go for it life's too short

Lots of choices, and one is as good as another.

I don't feel the above statement is necessarily true, I say this from experience.

I had a used 250 Yamaha 4 wheeler, even though it had not had a lot of TLC before I got it, it was still one heck of a good 4 wheeler.

I purchased new a Kawasaki 360 and I never plan on purchasing another one.
It seems Kawasaki built these with not enough oil passage for the bearings at the end of the crank, therefore the crank would seize up, mine did.

Kawasaki new it was a manufacturing problem but they did not do a recall on them, only replaced the cases if the customer complained enough, however the customer was stuck with the labor bill.

If I was going to buy another 4 wheeler it would be a Yamaha or a Honda.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I'm another old codger and I like the idea of a winch, and need to get one on my 4 wheeler. Lifting hogs and deer has gotten tougher every year. I have had a couple regular 4 wheelers with the last being a 600 Arctic Cat, but finally just settled on a side/side. They are not as manuverable, but enable you to do so much more with them. I use mine around the property hauling limbs, firewood, leaves, etc... I ended up with a Polaris Ranger 800 and really love the power and the nice cushy suspension.

Polaris has the military contract but that means little to civilians, they still use the 5.56 when there are much better options for them.

Polaris is great own one now... just learn to live with the belt driven system. They can burn out and wear out quick... I'm still a Honda fan. I have a 1987 Foreman, changed the battery twice and that is it. Still starts better than my Suzuki, Can Am, Yamaha, Polaris, etc... trust me I am quad wore and UTV whore

Polaris is great own one now... just learn to live with the belt driven system. They can burn out and wear out quick...
They only burn out if you misuse them.

I have three Polaris ATV's, a 95 400 Sportsman, a 97 400 Express and a 2004 500 Sportsman, and the only belt I had to replace is one I burned moving a large tree.

The tree got hung and my tires dug in so deep they stopped turning, resulting in the belt slipping on the pulley.

In normal riding, I've never had any problems with any of the bikes

I was watching a guy use a lifted golf cart a couple years ago where we were hunting. He was hauling a couple kids with him and went through the deep sand and stuff with no problems. I sure liked the quiet aspect of it.

I use Polaris 500 Sportsman.

I hunt in the Big Horn Mountains (WY) and the Wyoming part of the Black Hills.

There are a lot of snow machine trails in the national forest in these areas are open during the summer and hunting seasons for ATVs. Many limit the width of the ATVs for these trails which eliminate the side-by-side ATVs.

Normally any where I could take a Side by Side, I could take my truck. The heater is better in my truck.

So I'll stick to my Sportsmen size ATVs. I am a wimp, I did put a windshield on my Sportsman, you'd be surprised how much warmer it is with just the windshield.

My Sportsman 500 has all the power I need, I've drug full size elk and a heavy cow moose (not mine) out of the woods.

Plus it fits in the pick up so I don't need to drag a trailer.

I use a Honda Rancher 350 that my Father somewhat ill-advisedly gave me in the seventh grade.

Change the oil according to the owners manual, new tires every other year, and shift gears when the tac tells you to and it will last forever. Mine is coming up on the 16th year of operation.

Has pulled deer out. And my sister's blazer during the great blizzard of '13. :D

Got a rifle rack on the front and I bought one of those strap on seat back/storage bag combo gadgets for extra storage space (first aid kit and a fire extinguisher) plus the girlfriend, sister, whomever has a place to ride.

My old Honda has been a workhorse. 300 CC, full time 4wd, it's a little cold natured but once warmed up is great. We bought a couple new ATVS at work, ended up with Suzuki 400 fuel injected. Smoother running, automatic trans. Biggest problem I have ever had with ATVs has been batteries and fuel, mine has a back up kick start, and keeping good fuel is a must, non-ethanol premium fuel with some sea foam in it keeps it running and running. Probably due for an oil change though.

Back