4+1: Enough?

Is 4+1 rounds of 12 gauge enough for home defense duty?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Probably, but I prefer more rounds

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Model12Win

Anyone run their home defense shotgun with the standard tube? On the Remington 870, that's 4 rounds of #1 buckshot for me:

rem4901lg.gif

surefire_dsf-870_profile_1986_detail.png

I love the way the standard tubes with no extension balance and point. They just feel "right", and there is very little to go wrong with them. No problems with feeding due to extension junction points or the extension becoming bent/damaged in some fashion. I believe Dave McCracken was a fan of standard-length mag tubes on defensive shotguns as well, but don't quote me on that.

It's my choice, whether a box stock old school police 870 or a newer version with more "tactical" accessories like a Surefire forend, the 4+1 setup works for me.

But what about you? Do you think 4+1 is fine for home defense, or perhaps not? Please share your thoughts. Thanks gang! :)

M12

For my specific purposes I think 5 rounds out of my shotgun is enough. I'm not going to clear the house with the things, after all. My HD shotgun is for when I'm "barricaded" in my safe room, with the door locked, everyone that's home in the walk-in closet behind me. If the BG comes through that door, from my position of concealment I mean to put 5 rounds of very nasty defensive 12 ga. shot into his torso in 3.5 seconds (about my average at the range). If he still wants to play, I'll turn 240 lbs. worth of dogs loose on him while I drop the shotgun and unholster the SIG.

If in the future, I thought I wanted to clear the house with it, I'd at least consider getting a longer tube for it.

if you stay holed up or hunkered down that's plenty. not too many bag guys can make it down a hallway to hurt you after they get hit with one load of 00 buckshot let alone 4+1.

I think it’s plenty. I have defensive shotguns, but I don’t really use them like that. I mostly blow up water jugs with mine so they have extended tubes.

The 4+1 capacity is probably enough for home defense until its not :) I'm sure it varies a lot based on location and other factors but the odds of home invasion seem fairly low for most people and I'd say a lot lower than that with regards to burning through more than 5 shotgun rounds in such an encounter. I don't think I'd be worried enough to buy another shotgun with greater capacity.

I love the way the standard tubes with no extension balance and point. They just feel "right", and there is very little to go wrong with them. No problems with feeding due to extension junction points or the extension becoming bent/damaged in some fashion.

After proper fit, those are the most important characteristics; if the gun is poorly balanced and doesn't handle well, you won't shoot it as well.

I feel the same way. I would not be using it to ever clear my house, I've no children and no reason to. The information I've researched says it's never a good idea to go busting out with a gun just because someone's steeling the TV or whatever. Best to stay holed up in the bedroom.

I should also mention that I have Beretta 92A1 ready as well. I'd grab the shotgun time permitting, if they get through the bedroom door they might need to be stopped quickly and a load of buckshot gives me a better feeling than a 9mm round if things happen fast and I only get one shot off.

Do you feel comfortable with a 6-shot revolver for home defense?

A 7~8 shot semi auto?

If the answer is "yes" above, then a shotgun with 4+1 is adequate for you.

If not....

4+1 is adequate as long as you master the "tactical reload" in a gun fight.

Personally, I prefer to avoid the gunfights and would just get behind the bed, point that muzzle at the door while calling 911. My insurance covers theft of "stuff"

Personally, I prefer to avoid the gunfights and would just get behind the bed, point that muzzle at the door while calling 911. My insurance covers theft of "stuff"
I hear ya.

That's why I buy my house in a safe neighborhood, put up "deterrence" such as well lit exteriors, secured locks, etc. Your plan of lock yourself in the bedroom along with family members then dial 911 is the best advice one can give to strangers.

But best plan goes FUBAR despite of good intention. You learned how to reload with your pistol, why not learn how to reload with shotguns?

We could talk about means, averages and standard deviations for low probability events but I only have five fingers on each hand so slap a five round side saddle on that bad boy and call it good.

I had put the two-round extended tube on my first 870 for awhile and didn't like it, went back to the standard capacity and put an 18" bbl on it to keep as an HD gun.
I eventually just bought the 7-round tactical 870 for HD and put the vent rib barrel and tube plug back on my first 870 to keep as my bird hunting gun.
They're affordable enough to have two.
I don't know if I'll ever need more than 4+1 for defensive use, but 6+1 is a little more reassuring.

Most likely zero rounds is enough for self defense, but in the rare case it is needed, i wouldn't feel under gunned with 4 rds of buckshot.

I hear ya.

That's why I buy my house in a safe neighborhood, put up "deterrence" such as well lit exteriors, secured locks, etc. Your plan of lock yourself in the bedroom along with family members then dial 911 is the best advice one can give to strangers.

But best plan goes FUBAR despite of good intention. You learned how to reload with your pistol, why not learn how to reload with shotguns?

I agree with ya; my 500 has a side saddle with more ammo for JIC.

Another deterrent, if your climate zone allows, is planting thorny bushes like roses or blackberries under the windows. No one wants to try and get through those. Along with a pea gravel path along the sides (which no one can quietly walk on) and that should help.

I think in most cases you are probably ok but I would prefer to have more. I keep a Moss 500 20 gauge around that I have a 18.5" and 26" barrel for. I feel pretty good with 5+1 capacity but my go to is a M&P 9 with TLR-3 attached to it.

Have standard field guns, with buckshot in the magazine and stock cuff, with extra rounds.

Plus an M1 Carbine with three fifteen rounders, for HD usage.

I have hunted a lot with single shots and doubles, both side by side and O/U. Lots of times one or two is enough.

Sometimes 8 wouldn’t be enough, for that matter a whole box of 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back