4+1... Enough?

Is 4+1 shots enough for Law Enforcement use?

• No, it is not enough for a police shotgun

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Yes, it is enough for a police shotgun

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • No, but it is enough for home defense

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
surprise

Now that is a surprise, because the Wingmaster Magnum I bought in 1980 is a 4+1 gun. Also, every 870 Wingmaster I ever encountered in agency armories were 4+1 as well, unless fitted with an extension. Some of those were earlier guns bought in the 70's and 80's, and others were purchased up into early 2000. I've never heard of a factory tubed 5+1 Remington 870 'till this post. Always believed they were 4+1 guns, and were from the start.

I have an 870 Express in .410. It is a 4+1 gun.

Dunno, it will be interesting to see what else is posted.

is 4 +1 enough?

I don't know if I am on the same page as OP, but here goes.
Is 5 rounds all you need for a Police Shotgun?

Well, if you only need 5 rounds.

But you might need more than that. What do you do? Do you either have them on board the weapon, in a side saddle, or do you have to grab extra gear?

See, Police already carry a ton of gear. Carrying shotgun shells on their person is simply another item to carry. In a real firefight, you can empty a tube on a shotty in seconds. If you are actually firing the weapon, it is because someone is shooting at you. Plus, the weapon is mostly carried in cruiser safe. So, not 4 +1, but 4.

See how much better 6 or 8 sounds now? The other issue is where it is carried. Back in the days, the shotty was carried in a rack inside the vehicle cockpit. Some racks won't allow for anything except that size of shotgun. They might not allow for a side saddle either. So, you got what you got. And, your hands are tied up with it after you've shot it dry.

No, 4 isn't enough. 6 + 6 might be. A sling is a good add on as well. Now, back in the days before double stack mags, revolvers carried 5 or 6. So, unless you were in a protracted battle, firefights ended quicker. Nowadays, you don't have anything less than 50 rounds for your primary, but so does the other guy.

Might be why they prefer 30 round mags in an AR platform with a couple spares in a mag pouch or a pocket. So, if you're going to run the shotty, you need some other stuff that's weapon specific. Still very powerful and effective in CQB, but, it's a more complex system that requires some additional training to bring it in the clutch.

Apologies for my faulty memory and confusion. Just checked a 1976 book, and it lists the 870 as a "5 shot" capacity, which I was confusing with a 5 shot magazine capacity.

So, you are correct, the 870 is a 4+1 (5 shot) gun. I was wrong.

The Win Model 12 is a 6 shot, (5+1), with the plug removed.

My 870 is an Express and not a Police, but it is the security model sold with an 18.5" barrel and a 2+ extension. Since I got it, the security models come with a 6 capacity magazine tube. I don't know if I would trust the extension, as a LEO, as it can cause the follower to catch on a ridge located where the end of the magazine and the end of of the extension mate.

I think the newer 870s that come with extended mag tubes, like the Tactical, now have a 7 round single tube, much like the mossbergs.

I have also heard that when you install the tube extension, that you should gently tap it as you're installing it, then once it's tightened down, install a decent magazine clamp to keep it from moving. If it's installed correctly, then there will be no pinch point in the seams for a spring or the follower to catch.

In my 18 years thus far in law enforcement the shotgun is the red headed step child of firearms. We do the least training on them, they get the least maintenance and cleaning, and they're all old as hell while we still replace Glocks and AR uppers every few years. It's odd. We have multiple types of shotguns on hand, but the old 4+1 patrol 870 is the most common. When I was issued a shotgun I took a winchester 1300 7+1 out of the locker. We had two of em and nobody wanted em. My current assignment doesn't warrant a shotgun.

I think the newer 870s that come with extended mag tubes, like the Tactical, now have a 7 round single tube, much like the mossbergs.

I have also heard that when you install the tube extension, that you should gently tap it as you're installing it, then once it's tightened down, install a decent magazine clamp to keep it from moving. If it's installed correctly, then there will be no pinch point in the seams for a spring or the follower to catch.

I believe to be correct on both points, Stretchman, and when I assemble my 870 I pop the magazine as I am screwing the extension on, with the effect of tapping as you have heard. Were I a LEO, I wouldn't want to count on it being properly assembled and especially if it were a pool gun. I would want the single piece magazine tube.

I have an old 870 express magnum 20" bbl. with rifle sights somewhere. It was a 4 shot tube, but I removed the restricting dimples on the i.d. and added a +2 extension a decade or more back.....nice gun but my Mossberg 930 has taken its place for at the ready. oh, here it is.

I added a +2 extension to my personally owned department approved 870. I figure that I can still prevail if I only had a four shot magazine but the two additional rounds come with no downside. This gives me six rounds of 00 buck in the magazine and six slugs in the sidesaddle. I've carried this gun for about 16 years. I've also had a rifle on occasion but the shotgun will always be with me.

Back