3D Police 38spl Ammo - What Did I Buy This Time???

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'd guess these are from the 50s or 60s."

Nope. At the earliest, post 1964, and most likely into the 1970s or early 1980s due to the zip code printed on the box.

"I'd guess these are from the 50s or 60s."

Nope. At the earliest, post 1964, and most likely into the 1970s or early 1980s due to the zip code printed on the box.
Interesting. I didn't think my father still shot then that late.

I need to get some more pictures, there is some old military .45 ball that looks old too.

He might not have been shooting, but he might still have picked up ammunition in case he did....

I've been know to do that. I think that's how I've gotten half of the crap in my house... Oh, I'd better get this in case I do that... :D

Interesting. I didn't think my father still shot then that late.

I need to get some more pictures, there is some old military .45 ball that looks old too.
The first 45 ammo I ever fired was some military surplus I bought when I got my first 1911. We didn't call them 1911's in those days...late 70's, early 80's I suppose. We just called them "45 automatics." I don't think I ever saw surplus 45 ammo again.

"there is some old military .45 ball that looks old too."

Well, if it's American military, it will have 2 or 3 letters and 1 or 2 numbers (depending on age, this may vary a bit) on the headstamp.

The letters signify who made it, and the numbers are the years.

For example, FA 38 would be Frankford Arsenal 1938 production.

Its in one of those brown paper boxes and I swear it looks like its aluminum cased.

Once the killer freeze of 2021 is over, I'll get over there.

"I swear it looks like its aluminum cased."

If it's US military, it's going to be headstamped EC 43.

In 1942 the US faced big time shortages of copper, the primary material used to make brass for cases, so the military approved loading .45 ACP ammo in steel cases.

As far as I know, the only plant to make them was Evanville Chrysler Ordnance Plant, and virtually all were made in 1943 (although there have been reports of some EC 44 steel case ammo).

This ammo was never intended to be sent to combat troops -- it was intended for stateside training purposes only.

The copper shortage also caused the US mint to switch from copper pennies to steel for 1943, as well.

Concerning the 3D ammo, I bought a 50 round box of .223 55 gr. FMJ at an auction in 2007. It is marked 'For Police Use' and had a blunter bullet than usual. I bought it to get .223 cases because all I had were military 5.56 brass, which is thicker than commercial .223. Well, when I opened the box, the cases were all military 5.56. I assumed it was from the 1980s or newer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back