.38spec in .357mag safety issue.

AR.....if they start colonizing, could go into business sellin stainless potscrubbers.

Sam....don't have to be crazy to occupy this body, but it helps.

I gotta agree there... I shoot .38special reloads out of my GP100 90% of the time if not more. Personally, I have an improperly healed "boxer's fracture" in my right hand; and pounding out 100 magnum rounds in a session (while easy and tolerable during the shooting) will leave me unable to shift gears in my car for about a week afterward. Yet, when I keep my wheel gun loaded for defense, you bet there are some hot .357mag rounds in there.

Clean your guns and I don't see a problem.

Steve
www.tacticalreload.com
FIREARMS WEBZINE

SFS: I don't think you could polish even a thousandth of an inch off the cylinder walls in your lifetime using a nylon bore brush spinning at 150 RPM with chrome polish as a cleaner. Chrome polish has almost no abrasion to it, since it would ruin the shine on the chrome if it did. I think it's about like toothpaste. As for bronze brushes, I'm not sure how much spinning it would take to get some metal off the cylinder walls (?) Proabaly an awful lot I would think.

I will confess I did the same as you at first (spun a bronze brush) and still see no wear in the cylinders. The thing I hate about bronze is that the bristles bend over and shear off after about 30 seconds. I was buying the stupid brushes 3 dozen at a time. One thing to know is that most of the new bore cleaners (and the chrome polish) have a tiny bit of ammonia in them to dissolve copper and that also dissolves bronze. I don't think Hoppes does, but I'm not sure. I just don't use bronze brushes so I have no worries.

No one has mentioned "de-leading" reamers. These are reamers which are typically made to dimensions larger than the maximum cartridge dimensions, and smaller than minimum chamber dimensions. Used with care, these will clean a chamber sufficiently for safe use with a twist of the wrist. They will not completely clean a revolver chamber, but will remove more of the "crud" than will empty cases, and are much faster than using pot scrubbers etc for doing the whole job.

Bob

I take the easy way out and load .38 pressures into a .357 case. I don't get the buildup and don't have any problems when switching to full power loads.

Bob

Back