38sp load help needed

In my experience, 231 doesn’t care if you point at the ground and raise to fire or point at the sky and lower to fire, a sure way to test for dependence of powder position.

In my experience, it does. They all do in light loads with a lot of airspace.
I compared powders in .44-40 for CAS. W231 was the most position sensitive and Titegroup, in spite of advertising, was not much better. 700X was the "least bad" but gets you into large flake metering variations.

Not much airspace in .45 ACP, even with light loads, but wide variations with most powders at low pressure anyhow. Bullseye is where I landed for .45 Minor. It appears I will run out of Bullseye before I run out of large primers, so I will have to use HP38. I will have to increase the power factor a bit to get some sort of consistency.

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

308Loader said:
Generally speaking, pressure is related to velocity, I know there are variables, but... At approximately what velocity with this setup do I cross the line into +p?

There's no fixed answer to that. When the velocity is equal, a slow powder produces less peak pressure than a fast powder does. All the equal velocity prooves is the average pressure on the bullet base during its travel down your barrel was the same. Here's a sort of ridiculously extreme example. It would not work well in real life because 4227 will not be modeled correctly by the program at such low pressures, but it demonstrates the principle.

We have kind permission from Ed Dillon at NECO, which controls the QuickLOAD copyright in the U.S. market, to put up the occasional output table from QuickLOAD.

attachment.php

Since the +P designation is determined only by the peak value of pressure, and not the velocity the powder produces from it, there is no fixed velocity associated with it.

In your test of 4.8 grains, if you have the average (mean) velocity of the test, divide it by 4.8 to get the average velocity increase per grain of your lot of 231 powder. Multiply that by the difference in the velocity between your 4.8-grain load and the velocity listed for a maximum charge fired from a 4" revolver barrel in the Lyman or Hornady data. As long as their velocity is higher for the same amount of the same powder, your average pressures are lower than theirs. But if it looks like you will get more velocity from that amount of powder, your pressures will be higher.

Example:

Suppose your average velocity for 4.8 grains was 825 fps. 825 fps/4.8 grains is 172 fps/grain. Hornady says 5.4 grains should produce 900 fps. The difference between 5.4 grains and 4.8 grains is 0.6 grains. If I multiply 172*0.6, I get 103 fps added velocity. If I add that to 825 fps, I get 928 fps. This is faster than the 900 fps Hornady says you should get, so your lot of powder would produce higher pressure than theirs did.

So, apparently, your lot is faster burning than Hornady's was. This means that even if you were to match their velocity, your pressure would still be higher than theirs was. At 5.4 grains, it appears you would have average pressure that is about 6% higher than theirs. QuickLOAD, with burn rate, tweaked to a velocity match, suggests your faster powder lot would match Hornady's pressure at 5.17 grains, with a velocity of 896 fps. Using the simple 172 fps/grain number suggests that velocity will be reached at 5.21 grains. 0.05 grains is pretty good agreement and well-within shot-to-shot powder dispensing capability, so I would judge 5.2 grains to be a good number to work with as your non-+P charge weight IF 825 fps IS YOUR ACTUAL AVERAGE VELOCITY FOR THAT TEST. If not, we have to do that over again.

Note that there is no safety issue with getting to +P as SAAMI now uses the same proof pressure range for both standard pressure and +P in the 38 Special. So if you slip ever so slightly past standard and toward +P no physical danger will arise.

I didn't care to sort brass till now. Following unclenick's suggestion, I mapped the weight distribution of a bunch of LC .223 brass. I was rather surprised to see as much as 10% weight spread even among brass of the same head stamp. 10% spread in weight infers similar spread in brass volume. The spread in MV could be of similar order of magnitude.

Tight MV spread doesn't necessarily mean small group. But it should help. I pick a 3% weight range with the highest population as my "incoming QC target" to sort all my brass that I acquire. Whatever outside that range goes to recycling. That includes 1/4 of my 38 spl brass.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Other points to consider, relative to published data, is that published data is from their gun, and their lot# of powder, along with all the other variables unique to their test gun and ammo.

YOUR gun and ammo are different. The difference should be small, so that the published data is useful as guidelines, but the differences could be more than small, which is the reason we always say "start low and work up".

Differences in MV of the SAME LOAD in different guns can easily be 50fps and I've seen 100fps difference in some guns with "identical" barrel lengths, shooting the same ammo. That much difference isn't common, but its not so rare as to be unheard of.

If the book, or the program says you should get 900fps and you get 928fps (or the reverse) you shouldn't be concerned.

It really makes no real world difference if 9 or 10 angels can dance on the head of that particular pin.

Low temperatures, "cat sneeze" loads and small powder charges can show unacceptable variations. Ones that may disappear when the charge increases to "duty load" levels.

However, what ever results you get, or don't get, will be specific to your individual gun and ammo combination. Change any part of that, and you could get different results.

Back