.380?

KyJim said:
If that's the explanation, that means the data is invalid; i.e., the sample is too small, in at least some calibers, to be meaningful. I don't have the background in statistics to go any further than that dubious observation.

Data is data; the validity of inferences drawn from analyzing data depends on sample or population size.

Data is data; the validity of inferences drawn from analyzing data depends on sample or population size.

Yep. It is not worth it to argue about. The data is there and the problem in the past is a lack of data. The author was in a good position as a police firearms instructor to gather it and until a larger sample size is compiled the conclusions stand outside of arbitrary feelings or conjecture.

That lack of data has been an impediment to the military’s effort to overcome the lack in lethality in 5.56mm experienced on the battlefield. The civilian sector simply did not have enough data.

Sure is an easy piece to conceal, at a very pocket-friendly price to boot.

I like the S&W shield or Sig p365 for pocket carry, personally. But I'm a 9mm enthusiast and always have rounds on hand, whereas when I had my LCP I'd always have to run out and buy ammo before the range and it got annoying.

9mm and .380 aren't THAT different as noted above, but for me 9mm just made more sense.

I haven't seen this mentioned in the thread yet, however there has been significant advances in .380 with Underwood ammo. The Underwood "extreme defender" and "extreme penetrator" lines make the .380 a good SD round, and I'm comfortable carrying it based on the ballistic performance, and extensive testing done on the round. The Defender line meets the FBI testing protocols (14-16"), and the Penetrator (barrier) line is designed to exceed 18" of penetration. The Lehigh bullet doesn't rely on expansion to work, which is typically the downfall in hollow points with .380.

Ordered a bellyband which arrived today (ComforTac). Went running with my smallest pistol, a Glock 43. Seemed to work well. The LCP would be smaller and lighter for running, and a pocket carry option, but for now, I'll try out running with the G43.

Me? I'm seriously undergunned with my keltec P32 in my pocket, but it's better than nothing, and is nice and light. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be shot with it.

.380s have been reliably doing a great job for over 100 years. While a .454 Casull may do a better job on non-critical hits, any decently placed shot from a .380 will do just as well at 7 yards as other typically used pistol rounds.

I have two. A Kahr P380 which is a dream to carry, the slide is stiff, the trigger is just so-so, but it's not yet dependable. They say I have to run 200 rounds before it becomes reliable.

My 2nd and favorite is the Sig P238. A tad bigger than the Kahr. The trigger is fantastic and it's rock solid reliable.

For a concealable single action 380 pistol the Sig P 238 cannot be beaten, with the Kimber Micro running a close second. For dropping in a pocket the S&W Bodyguard just cannot be beat.
Small nine mm pistols find the Sig P 938 and Kimber Micro 9 at the top of my list for reliability, concealability and ease of shooting (low recoil). None of the pistols I have listed required firing “200 rounds” to make them function properly, they worked right out of the box.

If it’s good enough for James Bond, European police and South American LEO, it can’t be too bad, right?[emoji23]

I shot the LCP and P3AT and the recoil was fierce because of the width of the grip. If you can stomach the cost, the Sig P238 is lighter than a S&W 442 but handles recoil very well. Even a Glock 42 in 380 is pretty darn accurate and handles recoil like a champ. Both of these, can ring steel plates at 25 yards for me.j

Just a little bigger though, and you’re in the 9 mm territory with a Glock 43, Sig P365, Sig P938.

For the most discrete carry of all, it would be hard to beat the North American Arms 22 Magnum. I carry 2 at once. With proper technique, 7-10 yards by point shooting is achievable. If I’m wearing business dress or formal, I usually carry these two, myself.

As for comparing caliber X to Caliber Y, just having a handgun is better than nothing. It is likely someone with a knife attacking you is not going to want to have a dose of lead.

Also, as you’re running, if you see someone suspicious or suspicious activity, you can just turn around long before getting into a confrontation.

Only thing that I foresee is unavoidable is a mountain lion attack as they’re cunning. They attack from behind. Just avoid running in the woods, I say.

Lastly, if you have to draw and fire, shot placement is critical. These smaller calibers are better for control and accuracy than some bigger caliber other than a Single Action 1911 45 ACP. A shot to the face or neck if you can pull it off is better than a gut or chest shot because of depth of penetration for vital structures.

Lastly, you really need to practice shooting these micro guns one handed. Most people I observe shooting shoot with two. It is unrealistic and unwise. It is more likely you will have to do it with one hand.

Whatever you consider, at least rent or try a friend’s firearm first. It is better to know beforehand, rather than making a bigger financial mistake by buying something that turns into a disappointment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thread now includes the two primary criteria for selecting a pistol to defend your life with: :rolleyes:
wouldn't want to be shot with it
better than nothing

Who cares about 12-18'' penetration & consistent expansion :rolleyes: ;)

OP posted carrying 9mm Glock 43 on the 17th - decent minimum. :)

Ah, the much maligned .380. I'm a big fan of John Browning's invention over 100 years ago. Arthritis in wrist plus a poorly repaired dislocated RH thumb(thanks USN docs) has been an issue. Ruger LC9, Glock 43, LCP..all hurt to shoot..and we know, you don't like to shoot it, you don't get good at it.

Found nirvana with my Glock 42..tried the Sig P238 but disliked the square grip and not a fan of '1911' format/hammer. Love the G42...easy to conceal, great to shoot. PLUS modern .380 ammo, like Lehigh/Underwood/Blackhills'Xreme Defender(yup, it's expensive) has some of tested effectiveness on par with 'some' 9mm JHP, particularly from a short barrel(read, poor expansion)..

I also have a LCP..hate to shoot it buy carry it when riding a bike..after going toe to toe with a deplorable in a truck with a tire iron.

Like .380 SO much(as mentioned, OK for many police agencies, south/central american CCW, James Bond), been looking for that unicorn, Glock 25..essentially a G19 chambered for .380. I know the USA restrictions, but found a retailer in South Africa that'll sell me one(Rand8500, about $590) but how to import is the issue..any ideas? I also know it's blowback so recoils 'about' like a G19(which I own also).

Long first post but have stepped away from a few other gun forums..W/o getting into it, I like that this one is limited to 'gun related' posts and no BS politics..that wears me out.

If I live long enough, I think 20 years from now the "is 380 a defensive carry caliber" debate will still be raging, in spite of all the God knows what kinds of ammo will be available in 380 in 20 years, IF ANY! That said, WHEN I carry (I live surrounded by communist states where I'd be an immediate felon soon as I crossed the border, as I sometimes have to) but when I do carry it's my very concealable LCP sometimes, and my Sig P938 (9mm) other times. I don't really feel all THAT less protected with my LCP than the 9mm. I figure at the close range I would actually be using the gun (parking lot? church? car jacking?), ease of shooting and handling the gun is at least AS important, and my LCP with defense ammo would work fine.

Back