.380 EDC Pocket Pistol

PaulF70

Hello everyone!

I recently started carrying regularly again. My current piece is a Bersa Thunder .380. What I love about this gun is its exceptional value, reliability, and the fact that I can shoot it well.

However, it's been brought to my attention that, in its pocket holster in my front pocket (I choose clothes with the deepest pockets available), the rear of the handle/mag is sometimes visible to someone behind me.

I need something a bit smaller. I am pretty set on the .380 ACP for other reasons (one being I have a lifetime supply of ammo).

I love the 1911 platform and have looked hard at the Colt Mustang (NLA), the Sig, and the Kimber Micro. However, I just don't want to carry Condition One in the pocket, even in a holster - not because of safety but because I don't want that cocked hammer letting crud in. (This is another reason I love the SA/DA Bersa.)

I am not a fan of striker guns - or at least Glocks. I really don't like them.

Here is my question. I am looking hard at the Ruger LCP and Karh .380. The former is hammer-fired but SA-only while the latter is striker-fired. I am now wondering, if the hammer is enclosed - what's the difference? Are functionality and safety pretty much the same? Let me know if I'm missing something.

Oh - I should mention that I once fired an S&W Bodyguard and hated it. The small size and DA operation made it impossible for me to shoot accurately. I realize a .380 pocket pistol is going to be a compromise in range/accuracy, but that gun was too big of one.

To be clear, here is the specific question I have: I am looking hard at the Ruger LCP and Karh .380. The former is hammer-fired but SA-only while the latter is striker-fired. I am now wondering, if the hammer is enclosed - what's the difference? Are functionality and safety pretty much the same?

I would try the Kahr 380 before you decide against it. It has been a great gun for me. I bought it on an excellent sale and after trying it, train8ng with it, I find it to really shoot well for me. Acceptable groups with great speed!

The LCP is D/A only, not S/A.
You can get a hammer fired gun and carry it with the hammer down, and learn to cock it before shooting.

Many here will recommend the LCP Max. I would have as well if not for the fact that I bought 2 and both were lemons. Constant failure to feed and failure to eject. I’ve seen and read where many owners were experiencing the same issues. On the other hand, many owners have had zero issues. I guess its luck of the draw.

The LCP is D/A only, not S/A.
You can get a hammer fired gun and carry it with the hammer down, and learn to cock it before shooting.
Thought about that a lot with a mini-1911 type. A lot of people say the 1911 hammer isn't designed to be manually cocked; certainly some of the clones are.

Indeed I may still go with one of those. It stinks that the Colt Mustang is out of prod AGAIN tho.

Original ones were…

The LCP II and Max… no way in hell would I call that DA. Trigger may move the hammer back a hair, but it is much more along the lines of SA.
That's my understanding. And thus my original question. These guns basically cock or "half-cock" when the slide is racked. That is just what striker guns do. So, hammer or no hammer, they are very similar, I think.

I bought a couple Remington RM-380’s when they were practically giving them away.

It’s always run well for me.

That's my understanding. And thus my original question. These guns basically cock or "half-cock" when the slide is racked. That is just what striker guns do. So, hammer or no hammer, they are very similar, I think.

So, the hammer on all LCPs is enclosed. The only spot open is a slot in the back of the slide, which allows you to view the hammer position.

Difference between hammer fired and striker fired… spring pulls a hammer forward verses spring pushes a striker forward. Different ways to skin the same cat.

Between the Kahr and Ruger, I’m more of a Ruger fan. I have the original LCP and the LCP Max. Never had a major issue with either.

My buddy had/has a Kahr P380. Being he had to qualify with it, it had some rounds thru it. At a certain point, it needed to be rebuilt. Like couldn’t function thru a magazine needed to be rebuilt. New springs and striker parts… which I did for him. After that, worked 100% again.

Higher round counts… I’d go Ruger over Kahr. Might piss some of the Kahr fans off, but just what I saw.

I'm retired so I can wear pretty much anything I want. So I adapt my clothing to the cc that I pocket carry, not the other way around. In the summer months down here in South Florida I can comfortably carry my Beretta 85 FS Cheetah .380 ACP in Duluth Trading Company's Fire Hose Cargo Work Pants. Large and resistant pockets. I don't feel weighed down by this all metal model.

Last edited:
I realize you said you are not a Glock fan, neither was I. I have used a Ruger Max and Sig 238. But neither is as pleasant to shoot as a Glock 42. Easy to pocket carry. Not quite as easy to rack as the Sig, but just an overall good gun. (I think the reason the .380 round is becoming more popular is partially the higher pressures they are getting loaded to. Micro guns can be rather snappy even if it only a .380.)

So, the hammer on all LCPs is enclosed. The only spot open is a slot in the back of the slide, which allows you to view the hammer position.

Difference between hammer fired and striker fired… spring pulls a hammer forward verses spring pushes a striker forward. Different ways to skin the same cat.

Between the Kahr and Ruger, I’m more of a Ruger fan. I have the original LCP and the LCP Max. Never had a major issue with either.

My buddy had/has a Kahr P380. Being he had to qualify with it, it had some rounds thru it. At a certain point, it needed to be rebuilt. Like couldn’t function thru a magazine needed to be rebuilt. New springs and striker parts… which I did for him. After that, worked 100% again.

Higher round counts… I’d go Ruger over Kahr. Might piss some of the Kahr fans off, but just what I saw.

Thank you regarding the diff! That's what I'd thought.

I'm a big Ruger fan. I've got a sweet Mk IV 22/45 Lite (ready for a suppressor as soon as my ATF permit goes thru), a 10/22 with Kidd barrel that shoot MOA, and a RAR .17 HMR. I should probably get an LCR.

I'm retired so I can wear pretty much anything I want. So I adapt my clothing to the cc that I pocket carry, not the other way around. In the summer months down here in South Florida I can comfortably carry my Beretta 85 FS Cheetah .380 ACP in Duluth Trading Company's Fire Hose Cargo Work Pants. Large and resistant pockets. I don't feel weighed down by this all metal model.

I had to look that gun up. Looks like the 9mm Beretta my cop father carried for 20 years. That gun was waay bigger than it needed to be. :)

Back