.380 Auto issues

Tangolima: "Or just cull the short ones."

I can agree with that recommendation for those cases that are shorter than 0.670", which is the minimum size that extends to the maximum of 0.680". But I have found cases that are under 0.670 after firing that upon resizing still fall in the lower area of the .670-.680 range. The 50th Edition of Lyman manual tested .380 loads with cases that measured 0.677." I guess one can trim every longer case to the mid-point of 0.675" but I'd lose a lot of brass that falls below that measurement that is not likely to grow to it after firing and resizing.

I would keep the bucket with the highest population and recycle the ones that fall outside.

Well you don't really have to go that extreme. It is a pretty easy round to load. I don't even have a dedicated die set for it. Sizing is by Rem 223 sizing die. Seating is by 9mm luger seating die. From time to time I feel like I need to close up the flare a little more. I just use the rem 223 sizing die to nudge on it a little.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This may be useful for the op.

My 380 acp load has coal of 1" which is over the max of the spec. But it fits well in mag and has no problem in my Femaru 37M. Not that I want to do that. I just don't want to have dedicated bullets for this one, but would rather to use the same 125gr 9mm luger bullets.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back