38 wadcutter through a 357

99.9% of my ammo is cast lead in .357 revolvers. Not a real problem. I've used the Lewis Lead Remover, bronze brushes, Chore Bot copper pot scrubber, and lead away cloth. Normally, leading is minimal and no problem, I do shoot at .38 velocities NOT .357. I have shot full .357 loads with bullets cast of pure linotype metal with good results. I also shoot cast in the 45 ACP. I recently shot 1000 cast 124 gr bullets thru a 9MM 1911, no major leading problem in it either.
I nearly forgot, I've shot a lot of Hornady lead HBWC loaded in .357 cases, was my target load when I shot bullseye.
Shoot em up!

I have S&W 14s-15s-19s -27s. I don't use any of them for anything other that
target. 99% of shooting with cast WCs. In fact I only shoot WCs in my m25s
and 29s, 24s. Except a 83/8" 45Colt that I shoot 250RnFp cast for deer. The
only S&Ws I use SWC is in 57s, cause I have not found a good 41WC mold
Excellent accuracy if keep about 750-850fps in 357. Cast from straight WWs.

I will assume a battleship displaced 16,000 tons (that's a guess; probably more).

Guess you'll need to re-do your math, 16,000 tons displacement is a cruiser.

WWII battleships (all nations) range in the 40,000 -60,000 ton range.

.38 wadcutters in .357? fine, people have been doing it since 1935.

if crud builds up, clean it. Simple, really. IF you actually shoot enough wadcutters (or any .38) to score the chamber, get it fixed. You've already spent more in ammo than the cost of a new gun. :D

The best method I've found to clean the residue left by a 38 in a 357 cylinder it to take a empty 357 shell. Bevel it where you have to force it in the cylinder. Champher the inside of the case making it sharp. It cuts the residue out, and follow with solvent.

Works for me.

I have four 357 magnum revolvers atm. My FiL will load 38 special lead SWC for me if I pay for the materials. I'm not one to turn my nose up at practically free ammo, so that's what I shoot. (He sees no point in loading up real 357's just to shoot at paper targets.)

I don't clean them any differently than my other revolvers. I have no problems with leading, and no problems when I occasionally shoot 357's with them.

I fired thousands of round of 38 wadcutters through my Model 19 back when I first got started. I never noticed this "crud ring" others talk about now. I guess I didn't know any better. I just cleaned the gun and that was that.

I never saw any problem with the occasional 357 rounds I fired. (357 ammo was REALLY expensive back then...or more to the point, I was really cheap. :))

Back