.38 Special +p Ammunition for Short Barrels

Why does each consecutive shot of same ammo penetrate more?
Can't be a coincident that many times.
They ordered the shot data in the table based on penetration. They weren't necessarily shot in that order. So while the penetration wasn't consistent, it didn't increase sequentially. Instead, the reason for the inconsistency was the inconsistency in the expansion, which can be seen in the photo of the expanded bullets.

Plus the link above to LGL also details both specific loads quite nicely
What "loads"? Has something been deleted? Your post was a picture of four rounds of what appears to be 38 Spcl. with lead full wadcutter bullets with a large meplat hollow point. Along with some claim of better practice, better placement, and what I questioned, better pennetration. Better than what?
The rounds appear somewhat similar to Federal HST Micro. Lucky Gunner reviews showed them performing quite well from a 4" revolver. But lacking some out of a 2" gun.

One reason the police +P load used a semi-wadcutter bullet was because a true wadcutter was slower and much more difficult to reload, especially with a speed loader.

A true wadcutter might well be a superior bullet shape, but if you ever had to do a fast reload you could be in trouble.

What "loads"?
The one the OP mentioned and the full wadcutter I brought up

Better than what?
The one the OP mentioned

The rounds appear somewhat similar to Federal HST Micro.
They do not
They are plain ole 148gr full wadcutters

Lucky Gunner reviews...
...showed both loads, the OP's and the 148gr wadcutter
The WC penetrates better
The WC actually penetrates better than the majority of current, common 38 SD loads
The myth that the WC doesn't penetrate well... is just that, a myth
:)

Speer Gold Dot "Personal Protection", 135 grain, .38 Special runs at 860 FPS MV. 222 ft-lbs of ME. The '+P' part is about pressure only.
A 148 grain WC target load isn't much less. Federal Gold Match runs 690 FPS with 156 ft-lbs.

From a 2" BBL you will be lucky to get 650 fps.

From a 2" BBL you will be lucky to get 650 fps.
WC loads from the “big 3” all easily break 650 out of 2”
Winchester and Remington both typically run about 700
Federal GMM consistently run right at 660 out of 2”

Not to mention the fact that a number of manufacturers load 148 WC well into the 700’s and a few over 800, all out of 2”

No “luck” to it, quite easy to do
There just really isn’t a need to do so
700fps pushes penetration past most common 38 SD loads
All without craploads of needless flash, blast, and recoil

Last edited:
...showed both loads, the OP's and the 148gr wadcutter
The WC penetrates better
The WC actually penetrates better than the majority of current, common 38 SD loads
The myth that the WC doesn't penetrate well... is just that, a myth

I saw several shootings where target wadcutters from snubbies did not penetrate well. Swaged lead Hollow Based target wadcutters are quite different from cast DEWC's and target velocities do not help when if you are lucky you will get 650 fps in a snubby with a factory target wadcutter. If I was using a WC for SD it would be a handloaded DEWC or this.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111

Oh here we go again..... (facepalm)
“I’ve seen... I’ve seen... I’ve seen”

Interesting how every time a topic is brought up that runs counter to your bias, you just happen to “have seen” an unsupported anecdote that supports your claim. Yet when I offered you a chance to support a number of them, even invited you out to our ranch, and told you who I had worked for... you suddenly were “too busy”.

Interesting.....

WC loads from the “big 3” all easily break 650 out of 2”
Winchester and Remington both typically run about 700
Federal GMM consistently run right at 660 out of 2”

Not to mention the fact that a number of manufacturers load 148 WC well into the 700’s and a few over 800, all out of 2”

No “luck” to it, quite easy to do

OMG..... You proved me wrong... OK, so they reach 650 FPS... Good luck with that.

Oh here we go again..... (facepalm)
“I’ve seen... I’ve seen... I’ve seen”

Interesting how every time a topic is brought up that runs counter to your bias, you just happen to “have seen” an unsupported anecdote that supports your claim. Yet when I offered you a chance to support a number of them, even invited you out to our ranch, and told you who I had worked for... you suddenly were “too busy”.

Interesting.....

What? What ranch? Dude, I am semi retired and live in North Dakota. I am not driving to Arizona to watch you shoot coyotes.

Unsupported anecdote? Dude.... I was a street cop, not a photo journalist. Anyone else that saw the same stuff has the same opinion, based on the same observations. Just because you do not have the same depth of experience is no reason for your constant attacks on my integrity. It seems to me that you are just trolling.

How many people have you seen shot with wadcutters or any other handgun?
I’ve offered you the chance to get together before...The offer still stands
We can compare some real world examples, on camera
Should be quite entertaining for the viewers
Your welcome to come just about any time
:)
Open arms
Stay for a week
We are stay ranch with guests most of the year

I’ve offered you the chance to get together before...The offer still stands
We can compare some real world examples, on camera
Should be quite entertaining for the viewers
Your welcome to come just about any time

You are so fired up, why don't you come here? We are getting a little snow right now, probably 3 feet by tomorrow.

What are you going to video? You gonna hunt gangbangers in Phoenix?

For the record I neither carry not recommend a 38 snubbie.

Last edited:
Some participants may notice that some posts have disappeared. Please keep your comments on the topic, leave personalities at home or in the Private Messaging area of this site, and refute things with which you disagree with facts, not generalities or innuendo.

FWIW, NYPD uses Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Hollow Point +P in both .38 Special and 9mm for their 4" and shorter service and off-duty guns. They developed it together.

Back