.38 special and an 820 pound wild Hog

That is peanut country, and the hogs get big down the road here. Peanuts replaced cotton as the money crop after the boll weevil, Hogs fatten up on peanuts this time of year and wreak destruction for farmers.

In the attached article, Wade Seago said it took three shots to "drop the hog."

http://whnt.com/2017/07/19/photos-man-kills-820-lb-wild-hog-in-front-yard/

There is no doubt a 38 Special will kill anything, given that the bullet penetrates deep enough and causes sufficient bleeding that the animal dies of asphyxiation through blood loss. This is true of any animal that breathes and bleeds, make it bleed enough it will die!.

I have read of hog hunters who hunt the things with knives and dogs. The dogs corner the hog and the human hog hunter jumps on the hog and stabs it in the heart. From a thread I can't find but remember, the hunter was using a Cold Steel Trailmaster and claimed once he got the blade in the pig's heart, the animal died almost instantly.

Night Knife Wild Boar hunting with Juan Pozzi

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1621043/m/620109742?r=510101052#510101052

Few nice sets we got with the dogs

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1621043/m/5301082671?r=5141087971#5141087971

Knife Recommendation for Hogs

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1621043/m/6881082661?r=3491000761#3491000761

I for one, would not jump on the back of a 820 pound hog.

Attachments

• Hog killed with bowie knife.jpg
    Hog killed with bowie knife.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Hog killed with bowie knife 2.jpg
    Hog killed with bowie knife 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 57
When we raised hogs long time ago, I used a 2 inch Colt Cobra with SWC handloads to drop a running hog at 4 yards. Aimed about 3 inches below the 'fat' of the back and it took out his spine. I know this cause we processed the hog and we saw the hole in his spine!

The only real problem is shock. The .38 Spl. will kill a hog dead with a CNS shot, but stopping a wild one from goring you may need to be hit with more power. No, hogs ain't rhinos, nor are they Grizzles, but here in Texas our thinking is .357 Magnums with real magnum ammo.

Deaf

oink, oink

Now that's a lot of the other white meat!

I thought I was a hot shot for hunting hogs with my 41 mag, but this tops that easily.

Happy eating.

:D

One thing that puzzles me is he heard his daughter screaming at the front window and he runs to look out the back window.....????????????

I have read of hog hunters who hunt the things with knives and dogs.

We used to do that before I got too old to run. Nearly always at night. No guns allowed.

After we got too old to run, we modified the hunts to let the dogs grab the critters on four corners and then a 45 Colt to the boiler room.

I had to modify the loads some so that the 250 grn slug would not exit and possibly hit a dog on the other side.

An angry wild HOG, you keep shooting until the threat stops moving towards you...

Wade Seago, a deer hunter and taxidermist in Samson, said he knew something was up outside his house July 11 when his family’s dog started barking and wouldn’t stop, AL.com reported.

His daughter began screaming as he got up to check on his dog, Cruiser.

"I jumped up to see what was going on," Seago explained to the news site. "I looked out the back window and saw nothing, so I ran to the front of the house where my daughter was looking out the window. I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

He discovered Cruiser barking at the massive wild hog, which was about five yards from his family’s front porch.

"Cruiser had this huge hog confused with all of the barking and movement," Wade continued. "It was not a good situation."

Fearing the worst, Seago grabbed his .38-caliber revolver and went back onto the front porch.

Seago told AL.com that it took three shots to take the hog down before it hit the ground.

"By the time I got in a position to shoot, the hog was about 12 yards away," he said. "Cruiser was out of my line to the hog so I fired."

The point is that some will tell you .38 spl is inadequate for self defense.

Quite an accomplishment. Not a hunter, always thought hogs required at least a 41 Magnum loaded hot.
38 Special inadequate for self defense ? It's simply old fashioned. Like riding an English 3 speed.

The point is that some will tell you .38 spl is inadequate for self defense.

Well that depends on what the self defense situation is, right? Sure I like the .38 and use it, but normally I pack a Glock...

Deaf

There is a big difference in between a wild hog and a real wild boar: Wild boars are very hardy, especially if they had been shot before.

I saw a friend shot a German wild boar, one year old and only weighing about 115 lbs. with a 30/06 with premium hunting ammo at about 110 yards. The boar buckled and then ran off for about 150 yards, leaving a trail of blood that was easy to follow an hour later.

My friend is a doctor who carefully cut up the boar, one front leg was broken, the heart neatly pierced and the should blade shattered.

It used to be common to hunt them with dogs and spears like this, over 8 feet long. I used to carry that rather than a handgun when following wounded boars into thickets, or fields with restricted view. You hear them rather than seeing them.

1rXfAk34xDXO5OUtd5jSV1LHT2eLliX5DH4Y1fJOTQKX5XhC65YuN9wl4aVnoczqJKKMcviEcjeiZlQCb2B5iXkbiRwCJXYYrXG8TRjHeH2AaSMdUqNrUC8wfiUoepjykK0c5U2LbQ

I for one am not going to be out their in lion's cloth and a spear hunting wild hogs or boars. I want some good dogs and a shotgun.

I suspect the steroids in this case were green peanuts.

While you are spear or sword hunting, don't forget about the rattlesnakes. ;)

This was obviously a domestic hog, not a wild feral one. A .22 in the ear or between the eyes will take them down instantly. I wouldn't compare this situation to a confrontation with a mad boar. Head shots can be accomplished with a lot less bullet than body shots. The whole hog shooting/caliber thing has gotten blown out of all proportion.

What load was he using?

ANH WHAT"S WRONG WITH a English #-speed? I don't have to guess what to do with the other eighteen! 1963 Schwinn Sporter [aka A Rairigh without the trademark]

Back