.38 Snubby Defense Ammo...JHP or FMJ?

That's better, but I'm still looking for them at less than 25 cents a round shipped. But of course, I can buy 148-grain LWC for 14 cents each and still get the same .357 calibre hole and .357 calibre hole out--actually two holes in, two holes out, and 10 cents in change.

I use the 110 gr federal hydroshok +p personal defense ammo.
I hear other folks say its no good.

I have tested it in wet newspaper and I am impressed with the penetration and the expansion, compared to other rounds I have fired out of the S&W model 36 it is carried in.

I would recommend it as an excellent snubbie round for a .38 spl.

I guess the problem in this situation isn't what to carry, but what's safe to carry. That's why I shy away from the light weight alloys. The weight savings aren't worth the price you pay in not being able to carry +P loads. Stick with steel guns. Besides the extra weight helps with reducing recoil and faster second shots. And as for the extra weight it's the old mind over matter formula. "I don't mind, cause it don't matter!"The 125 grain JHP's and the LSWCHP would be my first choice for ammo. But I would only use it in steel guns as it would shake the light weight alloy guns apart with constant use. That's just my .02 on the subject.

My thinking on snubbie revolvers (which I carried in the past) is that most ammunition is too hard on the shooter.

My suggestion is to pick a load which is 1)inexpensive and 2)doesn't kick too much.

I have no 38s now but plan on getting a 4" SW10 in the Spring just because I like them. My plan is to buy lots of SWC or HP-SWC ammunition loaded for target work (probably S&B at $6-6.50/50rds). My reasoning is thus: I prefer to practice with my carry load. By extensive training, I expect to improve my shot placement (lots of practice with sights and pointing, less flinch) compared to using traning ammo which would be different from the carry ammo. The difference in MY performance ought to overshadow any minor variations in the ammo performance.

Oleg...

"I have no 38s now but plan on getting a 4" SW10 in the Spring just because I like them."

I assume that you mean a S&W M10. If that is true, and you get a newer one, then it should be able to stand up to +P loads on at least a semi-regular basis. You may want to try the 158 gr +P LSWCHP as a carry load and see how the 158 gr SWC works as a target/practise load.

M 10-5

It should be. I called the S&W factory a few months ago concerning this issue after another thread questionned whether the Model 10 could stand up to +P. The rep I talked stated that it would.

Does this Model 10-5 have the tapered barrel? I think that model designation (the -5) came standard with it. I have one and it is a good-looking firearm.

In the end, I think if you stick with one reputable load, whichever you choose, and practise with it, that firearm should work in about 95% of most situations you could reasonably expect to encounter as a normal civilian.

Back