.38 snub nose suggestions?

mark357

.38 sub nose suggestions?

Any suggestions on what good quality .38 +P (around 2"barrel)make and model to buy? Looking for light weight and quality. Thanks. Gotta love typo's.

I rather like my SW342PD. I have no qualms about reccomending one if you can find one without the hokey built-in lock. If you want to shoot +p lead, then you'd probably be better off with a 642 as +p lead is not reccomended for the Titaniums.

If you look around for a used *&* 638, 37/637, or 442/642 you can not only avoid "hokey locks" as cuerno de chivo points out, but you can also avoid hokey frame-mounted firing pins and cheap-o diecast hammers and triggers. Boycott, shmoycott; if their revolvers continue to degrade in quality like they have for the last decade or so, there'll be nothing left in their lineup I'd even be remotely interested in... :rolleyes:

Tamara,

Thanks for getting the nick name right. So many refer to me as Cuervo. And a Cuervo ain't a Cuerno.

On the hokey frame mounted firing pin, I am pretty sure that no Airweights with hammer mounted firing pins are +p rated. Still, five wadcutters center of mass is going to ruin someone's day. :D

There are plenty of used S&W and Colt 2" snubbies in every gun store I frequent. The light aluminum Smith is called an Airweight and the Colt is called a Cobra or an Agent. They usually go in the low $200s.

>>hokey frame-mounted firing pins and cheap-o diecast hammers
>>and triggers

Tamara, you know alot more about guns that I do, but the quality of the newer Smiths are not hokey. I have a beautiful 686 and a 617 with those hokey frame-mounted firing pins and cheap-o hammers and triggers, pre-ban by about 3 months, fortunately. I consider them as good as my older Smiths. Taurus ain't THAT good.

justinr1

Big fan of the Colt Cobra. Six shots vs five in a light weight package. Have seen used for $175 to $400 depending upon the condition and finish. Cobras are alloy framed Detective Specials so holsters, grips, and whatever accessory you desire is pretty easy to get. S&W makes a fine gun too, but I prefer the Colt snubbies.
Take Care

I too have a pair of recent manufacture Smiths, a 686 and a model 60. Both have the frame mounted firing pin. They function well, have excellent triggers, are solid and reliable. From what personal experience do you speak as to the recent degradation of Smith quality, Mr. Tamara? I don't particularly like the idea of the new built in lock that they are starting to market, but it's too early to comment on the locks reliability. I have never liked the lock on my Taurus, just never use the locking mechanism.

Well shucks....might I suggest a nice real steel S&W Model 19, 2½" round butt ? Easy conceal, six rounds, shoot .38spec +P, .38-44, .357mag. Stone reliable, sweet triggers and pre agreement.

I think Mr. Tamara would approve ?:D

Sam........Drink Cuervo, talk with Cuerno

I would look at a total titanium Taurus. They are +P rated, have a lifetime warranty, and come with the best factory grips as compared to the competition.

They are not as pretty and as smooth as a S&W, but they are cheaper and just as durable.

Arub, I believe that is Ms (Mrs?) Tamara

SWF.jpg

Model 638

I would have to say that I would go with a j frame .38 airweight if ya want something light and small. I prefer the model 638 airweight bodyguard. It is easy to conceal and is pretty snag free, but still has just enough hammer to cock if needed.
I would at least look at it, if ya need something in the small, lightweight .38 range.
I always believe that when ya can though, it is best to carry a full-size handgun and back it up with the j-frame.
Ya pays your money and takes your chance.

Why not the gun that made stainless steel sail into the national spotlight?

The ORIGINIAL Smith & Wesson model 60 (dash nothing) .38 Special, introduced way back
yonder' in 1965. Crafty little gems that on
more than one occassion saw some limited
duty in Southeast Asia; in a place called
Viet-Nam!!!:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Last edited:
I have an older S&W M64, 2" .38Spl, kinda bigger than most snubbies but reassuringly solid in the hand.

Also have a Ruger SP101, 5 shot, 3" barrel, .357 Magnum. Another solid piece.

Almost any of the guns mentioned will serve you well if you do your part. Maybe you should buy one of each, try them, then decide. <G>

I picked up a Colt Cobra about 3-4 months ago and it is an excellent shooter. Mainly I bought it because it fit my wife's hands and she was able to pull the trigger, unlike my S&W Model 65. It may soon be my concealed carry gun if, er when, I get my permit. Then, I'll just HAVE to buy another for the house... At any rate, I found that fighting the crowds at a gun show will at least let you handle the different models, sometimes even side by side, and we were able to make a good choice. Hope this helps.

Check Six.

Back