.38-55 v .357 carbine balistics

Maybe I am not rational, but I always considered it a bit silly to bother carrying a rifle then having it chambered for a pistol cartridge. For some reason, folks who like to do that seem to exaggerate the power of the pistol/revolver cartridge; I have been told that a .44 Magnum out of a rifle has more power than a .30-'06 from the same length barrel!!

Jim

In my own case, I have the .357 & .44 Marlins, not because they're superior necessarily ballistically, but because they're relatively light & handy with 16-inch barrels & they mate with handguns in the outback where I need a certain level of power.

I use heavy-for-caliber loads in both calibers in the carbines & the handguns.

They're far from do-it-alls, but they fit a niche, for me.
If I think I need more distance, or more horsepower, I take along something else. :)

Denis

The 1885 trapper comes in 45-70 as well ( they are still around NIB).....much more readily available ammo and the factory loads offer more variety and are generally more powerful ! I have a modern 92 chambered in .357 magnum and it is a blast to plink with but I'd use one of my 45-70's for bigger pigs or black bear ! I'd like to see a big comeback of both the 38-55 and 25-35 but apparently most folks don't share the same appreciation for older cartridges as I do ! :D

If I were piggin' with a single-shot, I'd go for a .45-70, but that's just me & I've been trying to avoid running off track with alternate suggestions. :)

Been actually considering cutting my Rolling Block back to 20 inches, but even there I wouldn't go down to 16.
Again- just me. :)
Denis

I have to agree with JamesK about pistol cartridges in long guns, I too think often times the capabilities of them is overstated. The 38-55 will make a good hog gun and you usually don't get more than one shot at it anyway. I have shot hogs with this caliber and consider it more than adequate for hogs or deer up to 100 yds.
To me, the 38-55 is sort of like a little brother to the 45-70. These are both very versatile cartridges capable of good ballistics or slower plinking loads....or anything in between. The 38-55 started life as a deer sized hunting cartridge and still does a tolerable job of it.

It ain't the caliber as much as the barrel length. :)
In two 16-inchers, I'd expect to get more downrange oomph out of a .45-70.
Denis

Maybe I am not rational, but I always considered it a bit silly to bother carrying a rifle then having it chambered for a pistol cartridge. For some reason, folks who like to do that seem to exaggerate the power of the pistol/revolver cartridge; I have been told that a .44 Magnum out of a rifle has more power than a .30-'06 from the same length barrel!!
If all you have to cover is 150yds, why do you need a rifle cartridge? Ya know, some folks even use muzzleloaders that weigh 10lbs and are only good for about 100yds. Imagine that!?!?!?!

Maybe I am not rational, but I always considered it a bit silly to bother carrying a rifle then having it chambered for a pistol cartridge. For some reason, folks who liketo do thatseem to exaggerate the power of the pistol/revolver cartridge; I have been told that a .44 Magnum out of a riflehasmore powerthan a .30-'06 from the same length barrel!!

My .44 mag with 240g handloads is easily more effective on dear/hogs inside 100 yards than my 30-30, both out of 20" 94 wins.

If all you have to coveris 150yds, why do you need a riflecartridge? Yaknow,some folks even use muzzleloaders that weigh 10lbs and are only good for about 100yds. Imagine that!?!?!?!

I've taken a deer at 330 yards with my .58 caplock with a 525g mini. However my .62 is limited to about 150 yards due to the trajectory of it 900g bullet. Don't fall for the Myths on muzzleloaders.

Boomer

Last edited:
I'm not falling for a myth but thanks for the condescension. I'm talking about round balls. Not everybody who hunts with a muzzleloader uses conicals. Or even rifled bores for that matter. :rolleyes:

Yeah my trade rifle is a little limited, but you can't hunt with round ball anymore where I live in Oregon.

I've also shot Longgang at black powder rendezvouses with round ball out to 500 yards.

I guess I just have a pet peeve about people saying black powder is inaccurate or under powered. I cast a few hundred .62 900g bullets for a friend of mine the drop a 8 ton African elephant with one shot. He also killed the rest of the big 5.

900g bullet at the link http://TheFiringLine.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87490&d=1361936719
Left to Right...... .44 mag for scale .619 900 gn. Custom made mold 440 gn. .575 R.E.À.L.Bullet 150 gn. .308,accu-bond 53 gn. .223 V-max

Boomer

Last edited:
I didn't say it was underpowered or inaccurate. My .54's are extremely accurate and I typically run a .535" roundball over 100gr FFg at 1850fps. They are, however, by nature of the projectile, limited in range. That said, where I hunt, even a pistol cartridge levergun offers nothing more for the first shot because it's a rare instance where a 150yd shot is even possible. Let alone a high velocity centerfire rifle cartridge. So a .30-06 is a lot of unnecessary blast, noise and recoil.

Gold pin in stock !

Hey , don't be knockin us ball shooters.....my GRRW .54 caliber took an Elk at 125 yards with a 230 grain ball powered by 90 grains of FFg. :D

Not knocking anybody. I've been hunting with .54cal round balls for several years now, almost exclusively. Gonna be using a new one this season. The point being that a lot of folks hunt with rifles that are significantly heavier than your average centerfire rifle, let alone pistol cartridge carbine but with at least comparable, if not less effective range than your average .357 carbine.

@newfrontier45
I didn't mean to sound like I was going on the attack. Just defending my beloved smoke poles. :D

I've been shooting a. 58 since age 8 and I've been hunting with it since I was legal to do so. I was given my name(Boomer) at the Boonville rendezvous in Northern California at age 9. I like my BP guns.

Boomer

Last edited:
The factory 38-55 ballistics are pretty wimpy. The loads from the Lyman manuals for years and years was a 255 gr @ about 1800 fps. I'd never give the 38-55 a second glance if stuck with factory loads.

Back