.38-55 Today

Thanks for the link! That explains things well. Also like all the other articles on their website.

The more I read about the 38-55, the more it sounds like an interesting caliber - kind of a 45-70 light.

p.s. The article on loading for the 45-70 with light loads (which i do) and issues with weak primers was also super interesting. Good stuff!

I was interested, but just couldn't get the Marlin and H&R I had here to fly right with lead handloads.
Let the Marlin go, had H&R re-barrel to a .30-30.

I think with the right chambers, the right bore, and the right brass, it could be a fun round. :)
Emphasis on "right".

Marlin and H&R did NOT do it right.
Denis

Surprised no one has mentioned that the 38-55, as a straight-walled cartridge, is legal for hunting deer in Ohio. Maybe other states with similar restrictions. I agree the 30-30 is a better round. But you can't use it here.

PS: Cast bullets mostly, but I'm also shooting Barnes "Originals" (they're not copper).

I bought some Barnes Originals (0.377") and tried to get them to shoot, but they were not as accurate as the properly fitted cast bullets.

It wasn't a total loss as I use them in my 375 H&H loads around 2200-2300 fps.

I bought a .38-55 Winchester Single Shot for CAS side matches. Loaded hard cast bullets and smokeless. Got into BPCR and the rifle has not seen anything since but black. Groove diameter is .378" so .379" as cast bullets are just enough.

"Surprised no one has mentioned that the 38-55, as a straight-walled cartridge, is legal for hunting deer in Ohio. Maybe other states with similar restrictions. I agree the 30-30 is a better round. But you can't use it here." --ligonierbill

Wow! I hadn't heard the .30-30 was an illegal round anywhere for deer (except shotgun only areas.) Is there a sane reason?

Based on ?: ballistics, energy, bullet diameter, fps, range?

If .38-55, then why not .30 WCF?

Your deer must have a magic shield and the .38-55 is the only 1894 cartridge that will penetrate the spell!

What about the .25-35, 32-40, .32 WS? Illegal?

I can't understand why it would be an unsatisfactory deer cartridge.

I shot a buck a few years back with a Marlin 38/55 using jacketed bullets. It shoots very nice and did a nice job on the Whitetail.

CoastRange: Sane reason? No, just the Ohio DNR rules. No bottleneck cartridges. Actually a big improvement over the prior regs. It has to do with the perceived hazard of cartridges that carry a long distance. No, 30-30 is not legal for deer in Ohio. Of course, if you're hunting coyotes or groundhogs, you can use whatever you want. But them's the rules.

Lead has been shot more often with this antiquated cartridge than jacketed.
38-55 is a dandy close range big game (deer size) stopper and also known to be quite accurate at longer range's than most shooters gave it credit for. It's only problem it has no Parent brass as it is a Parent brass for many other winchester cartridge brass.

That is the reason why I won't own one but shoot a replacement i.e. >32-40.

I load for the 38-55 & 375 Marlin one in the same, no lead or cast bullets no-no-no I want to have fun !!!

Back