375 Winchester resurgence.

Probably the only way I'll make the jump into .375 Winchester is if I come across one of the pretty darned rare Savage Model 99s in .375.

All in all, though, I think I'd rather have an 1899 in .38-55. Or .32-40.

Many thanks to dahermit and 44AMP. I'll blame it on COVID Delirium, but stupid is stupid. I did more thorough research this morning and the rim, the case length, the brass availability obviate the reasons. Thanks, again, for the straightening me out. Love the Firing Line.

A factory load .45/70 Gov't cartridge will exceed anything the .375 Win was able to do.
Weeeelll, that depends on whose factory load you choose. Factory Winchester/Remington/Federal stuff is loaded for Trapdoors, so it's pretty mild, about 1,300 fps/1,700 ft-lbs (less than the 375 Winchester's 2,200 fps/2,000 ft-lbs), but Buffalo Bore 45-70s get pretty stout at over 2,100 fps/3,500 ft-lbs.
In fact, I'd rather be waterboarded than fire a max loaded .45/70 cartridge out of an 1895.
Wuss,,, try shooting it out of a Ruger No.3.
Been there, done that. Not a fan, not a fan.

shot my win bb 375 today, two different loads. some lead with trail boss, and some 200 grain sierras with h4198.
....mike had a 375 sav 99 in the middle eighties. slap me. traded it for a mini. didnt know anything then. lol.
... i love these threads about different rifles. incite me to fish the iron out of the toy box and load some ammo. bobn

Just a thought. With the straight wall states and all the development of new rounds, and the popularity of the 45-70, I would think the 375 Winchester would be prime for a resurgence. Maybe now that Ruger has Marlin it will.
For the shotgun zone in Michigan the case length has to be between 1.16" and 1.80" and .35 caliber or larger. The .375 is 2.020 in (51.3 mm), it is not legal to use in the shotgun zone in Michigan.

Back