375 H&H For Elk

Between seeing and reading about all manner of cartridges on all manner of game, I figure that the .375 would do just fine.

For me, though, it's a sort of Zen thing: I feel that I can do best with a rifle with which I'm "all married up", as I put it. When I get set to shoot, it just feels right. I and the rifle make up a package deal--and a proper hit is assured.

My old friend and gunsmith told me to consider the H&H as having the ballistics of the '06, but having a .375 hole and 90 grains more bullet. He liked the heavier stuff more than I did. My limit was the .338-06 with 210s.

Your biggest concern might be packing the extra weight around all day, 375s are usually quite a bit heavier

Nah, not a concern with me.

Pete.JPG

Got to playing with my Model 70 375 H&H...

And hey, if your rhino tag comes through, you're covered that way also! :D

Since I"m a Johnny come lately to this thread, I think that most of the important 270 v 375 comparisons have been covered: weight v increased power, etc.

I can offer this: "If you can, take both!" I picked up an Arisaka 99 last summer and I intend to take it out with my 30-06 this year. I'll take it in the mornings and the 06 with the scope in the afternoons. Is it ideal? No: it is long and heavy and has no scope, but variety is the spice of life...

Good luck!

Back