.36 or .44 Which is more popular?

Which one do you like best?

• .36 Cal

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • .44 Cal

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters
A Ruger Old In .36

I would love to see a kit to convert a ROA to .36 caliber.I love my big Ruger;but my .36 1858 Remington goes to the range every time.Still I'm very fond of my 1858 .44.The cost would be out of this world.

Here's a photo of my two .36s. The 1858 arrived a few days ago, my son and I will take it out this weekend to shoot. The fit and finish on this gun is very good, and the grips have some nice grain. As soon as I took it out of the box and started wiping it down I thought, "now I'm gonna have to get the pocket .31:cool:
DSCF2325.jpg
[/IMG]

Very nice Mark B,

A friend of mine just picked up an original (I believe the production date on it was mid 1860's) pocket Navy .31 in a box with the powder flask and mold for $1000. :eek:. I really really liked it. Felt really nice in the hand. There truly is something special about the original Colts. Was in really good shape too, nipples were fine, action was pretty good and some of the engraving was still slightly visible on the cylinder. If only those old guns could tell their stories. He's gonna shoot it too!

Now it's got me looking at a repro pocket Navy too, lol, just what I need!

He's going to shoot an orriginal piece!!!!

Why not? I shot an original 58 Remington with military cartouche. I shoot a .577 Enfield dated 1861. I shoot a 12 gauge sxs made in the 1840's.

Why not? I shot an original 58 Remington with military cartouche. I shoot a .577 Enfield dated 1861. I shoot a 12 gauge sxs made in the 1840's.

Just figure that like my Great Grandfathers 1851 Navy, there a part of history & being that a reproduction is pretty cheap in comparrison to preserve the orriginal & play with a copy.

Shootin it once in a while isn't going to hurt it as long as it's in good shape. Repros just aren't like the real thing. Aren't you curious?

Nice guns........I need to find me some choice walnut stocks for my Navy....the fake Macarta looks nice.......but not like one piece wood!

As far as shooting originals goes, I'm selling my bike and investing in CAS worthy pieces......my real desire is to find an 1873 Winchester in 38-40 or 44-40 in good serviceable condition and use it.......from some of the prices I've seen something like that could be only a few hun more than a new Uberti. Definitely worth the money for the bragging rights! :D

.36 or .44, doesn't matter, all are fun.

I have a .36 'Navy' 1858. Like it a lot. I had a Lyman .44 1858 and I liked it, too. Only thing is that the grip is a tad small for my hand and it just doesn't 'feel' like a Colt, but it shoots nice, is fun to use, doesn't go through a ton of powder and it is the fun that counts, right? :D

Pietta36Remington.jpg

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Hey!!!!!!! What about the .31???

What about the .31s like the 1849 or 1863 Remington? Now-a-days you'ld have to call them "economical" shooters......:D

I took the gun to the range this weekend and I'm very impressed by the acuracy of this revolver. The range has 8" gongs set at 25 yards and I was able to hit 5 for 6 or even 6 for 6 without much effort. I even had several holes touching on paper at 30ft. I prefer the Colt loading lever design. The Remmy was hard to seat smoothly for me. This is a sweet shooter and a lot of fun. I definitely will be looking into a .31 companion for it!

Back