.36 or .44 Which is more popular?

Which one do you like best?

• .36 Cal

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • .44 Cal

Votes: 28 70.0%

• Total voters

Mark B

I just bought an 1858 New Army.36 cal from Cabelas that should be here in a week or so. I'm excited to get back to shooting BP, I have a 20+ year old 1851 Navy that I haven't shot for years due to problems with cylinder rotation. My first BP revolver was an Uberti 1860 .44 that was a lot of fun. I went back and forth between .44 and .36 cal and opted for the .36 because I still have balls for it. I was wondering which is more popular with the good folks on TFL. Also if anybody cares to post their favorite loads for their .36 Remi I'd love to hear it.
Thanks!

I would think that the .44 caliber Cap & ball revolvers would be more popular because of the more offerings available in that caliber than .36.

You're probably right, in fact I could only find 1 .36 1858 on Cabelas, Midway, or cheaper than dirt, and it doesn't even come in the original bbl length.

Well I'm gonna agree that the .44 is more popular but I really love my .36s. I find it to be more accurate too, either in my colt repros or my remington repro. Smaller bore, more pressure, less recoil, flatter trajectory maybe? Can't say for sure but if I had to shoot in a competition I would take my '51 or '61 Navy or even my Remington Navy over my bigger .44s everytime.

Don't get me wrong, I love the .44s too, especially the Horse Pistols (I own a Walker, Dragoon 2nd Model, couple of '60 Armies and a Remington '58 NMA) with more smoke, bigger boom and bigger holes.

But like I said, in my humble opinion you can't beat the "little" .36. I think you are gonna be really impressed with that Cabelas Remington NMN .36. I have one and it's quite a shooter.

All my .36s (3 Uberti Colts and 1 Pietta Remington) are really happy with 20-25 grains 3f Goex BP, wad over powder and .375 balls I cast myself!

I'm rather odd, I guess, since I like the medium calibers - .38, .357, 9mm - in modern guns, but prefer the larger ones - .44, .45 - in BP guns.

Still, even for that, I really need a .36 Remington to match my .44. :D :p

J.C.

Thanks for the load Captain!
So does anyone know if the Cabelas 1858 New Army is an Uberti or a Pietta?

The Cabelas 1858 New Model Navy .36 is a Pietta.

Here's mine, same as yours:

Stainless Steel Uberti 1858 New Model Army .44 and Pietta 1858 New Model Navy .36 (Cabelas)

IMG_4078a.jpg

I'd say that the .44 is more popular only cause there are more models made for that caliber. As far a looks, feel, accuracy, and economy goes; IMNSHO, nothing can beat an 1851 or 1861 Navy in .36 cal. Maybe that's why I have more than a dozen of em.

I almost bought one instead of my 60 Army but I was already set up to cast 44 balls. A .36 means yet another bullet mold.:rolleyes:

Well i mouthed of about me geting my 36 cal remmy,
now i am not sure i did the right thing,:( i was in two
minds to get me another 44 remmy?. like i have said
before i like the look of a open top but remmys got them
beat by a long shot, thats just my OPINON.:)

I like Remington and have had one for many years. Got another one last year and a 60 Colt. The Colt feels better and points better and I find myself shooting it more.

Yep,

I have a total of two Remington repros and seven Colts. Guess which I like better?? Always been a Colt man, there's just something about them. They are definitely easier to clean too. Aesthetically, nothing compares to the Colts.

In my opinion anyone and EVERYONE into cap and ball revolvers needs a '51 or a '61 Navy or two in .36. It was the most popular and prolific pistol in it's time.

IMG_4288.jpg

I dont know how you can say that the colt is easier
to clean than the remmy? for a start there is less parts
to strip down and the remmy has a one peace frame which
is less liable to work lose, but haveing said that my next
pistol will be the 1860 in 44 cal.
Maybe i should have got me one insted of the 36 remmy.:confused:

I got a .36 Remmy from Cabelas last week and it's a nice shooter.. Had both it and the 44s in my hands .. All felt great.. Ended up goin with the 36 since it's cheaper to shoot... Components sure arent getting any cheaper..

Back