36 conicals

I've not read of Kaido's heavier bullet having any problems. Are you sure you aren't speaking of the 285 grn bullet I had made that was loaded in an ASM Walker that blew the cylinder?

dr1445

Why are you knurling a 44 cal bullet, if you are wanting 36 cal?

If you measure the chambers of your 44 properly, you will find almost all of them will be .446 to .448 in diameter,
Knurling up to .452 isn't going to accomplish anything in the way of fit going down the barrel. You are just going to shave that .002 back down to .450
when you load it, anyway.
Will the knurling make it a tighter fit to the chamber? Maybe, but probably not enough to matter.

Rodwha

I didn't say it was his bullet. I just said the heavier bullets.
These guns are not designed nor proofed to with stand the heavier pressures.
If they were there would be no need for conversion cyclinders.
One could just machine out the nipple and chambers to take a cartridge.
And presumably a hotter powder.
But that is not the case.
I don't have the formula anymore for figuring pressures.
But if BP ignites and creates XXX pound of pressure to move a 140 grain round ball with XXX amount of friction fit psi holding it in place.
Then you know that the pressure has to increase in order to move a 240 gr slug with a larger seating area and thus a larger psi friction holding it in place.
I'll see if I can find that formula again.
That's the main reason I kept my 195 and 190's under 200gr,
They are still about double a round ball in impact force energy
But are not so heavy as to allow too much pressures to build.
Yes you may get away for years shooting those 220 240 255 grain slugs.
But one day the next may be one two many.

And Rod you've seen first hand what can happen, and are lucky no one was injured when the gun let go,

These replicas are not magnums, were not designed to be. No need to over stress them.
You want that kind of power and recoil, use a gun designed for that.
take your .357 or your 44 mag and load some hot black powder shells
and some pure lead bullets and shoot them out of it.
At least those guns are proof tested to withstand any reasonable BP generated pressures.

i wanted to see how it works, looks like i can gain .002" which would bring me line to line with a 36 .375 conical, as my chambers are .377" with my uberti.

I see now that you didn't necessarily imply Kaido. I suppose I assumed it as that is what you had been talking about. Sorry.

I don't believe conversion cylinders just to shoot heavier bullets, but to convert to shoot modern cartridges. You do know that they used very heavy conicals in paper cartridges during the Civil War, right? And the one made with Hazards Pistol Powder was found to use 4F that is equivelent to Swiss? My computer is down, but I can certainly email you the research done as he said it was OK to do so.

And in regards to he cylinder letting go we do not know why. It could have been that it wasn't loaded firmly against the powder charge. Some have said by the looks of it that it is quite possible. And there are several other possibilities, including too heavy of a projectile with large bearing surfaces, which I had created to be used in a Ruger because of the reduced charge and the fact it can handle it.

As posted before in other posts, we've shot our .36 Pietta Remington with Swiss 4fg behind Kaido conicals with no problems. Charge weight was 1/10 of bullet weight or about 14-15 grains. No difference in accuracy compared with a full charge of 3fg but sure sounded cool.

The guns can take it. In 2012 Pietta tightened the twist on their .44s to handle the conversion cylinders shooting bullets, Uberti did this in 2007 with their Remington and went to forged frames.

Then there is the ROA, you can fill that chamber with smokeless powder and not blow it up according to Bill Ruger.

Be sure to put some kind of grease seal over the knurled conical to prevent chain fire. Hopefully, you won't get "ball creep".

"Be sure to put some kind of grease seal over the knurled conical to prevent chain fire. Hopefully, you won't get "ball creep"."
good point, thanks, i also use a lubed felt wad under the projectile.

Back