36 conicals

dr1445

I am considering shooting conicals from my uberti rem nma. Looking at the lee mold 375-130-1r, the slug will be to small for the uberti which takes .380” balls. Is it possible to knurl the slug by rolling it under a file to bring it up to .380”? I also have a 36 rem nma by pietta but I will need to grind a clearance in the frame for that one to shoot conicals.

Why not use the Kaido conicals which are .380 and 144 grains? They shoot just as accurately as round balls in our Pietta Belt Revolver.

I use the LEE 130 gr conical in both my Uberti 1861 Navy (made in about 1970) and my Euroarms Remington Navies. If you push the conical down firmly against the powder the lead obturates a bit to hold it in the chamber. I've never had ball creep from the Lee conicals.

not to interested in purchased bullets as i recently started casting, and had good results with the lee conical molds 450-200-1r & 457-220-1r. i find the uberti 36 a little more compact than the pietta replica, makes it easier to carry. now i have no excuse not to pick up the 370-130-1r mold.

thanks for the link to the lee mold, now i am waiting for the sites red tape to clear so i contact the seller.

Yes, the Uberti is more accurately sized but you can still get a mold from Kaido and cast your own as we do. If you want to thump game with a .36 or even just punch paper, there is none better for accuracy and stopping power.

Ever seen the penetration tests done by Mike Beliveau with the Kaido conicals compared to the Lee conicals?

I sent an order to Kaido for a batch of conical bullets for my Ruger Old Army in 240 grn. They are good looking bullets. He also sent me a couple of his .36 cal bullets to look at. They would make a short range deer killer out of the .36 revolver. If the 240grn conical bullets work out like I think they will, I'm getting a mold since I do all of my own casting.
DR1445- if you want one of the .36 conical bullets to look at and measure I can send it to you.

Mike

I bought a Uberti rem. Navy when Midway had them on sale and used lee conicals with their liquid alox. I've only shot it once, and the weather sucked, but it seemed to shoot fairly accurate and to the poa which surprised me.

"Why don't you actually measure the diameters of your chambers.
The projectile only needs to be 2 to 4 thousandths bigger. "
the barrel bore for the uberti is .375 and the cylinder bore is .377. hellgate, the revolver is lyman/uberti also made in 1970.

Kaido Ojamma is a black powder shooter and hunter who developed a line of cap and ball conical bullets inspired by Elmer Keith's most successful bullets for the .45 Long Colt, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, etc.

He runs the yahoo forum internationalblackpowderhandgunhunters and while his email address escapes me, it's across the internet and youtube.

Those 240 grain conicals are awesome out of our Pietta Remingtons. These things make two .45 caliber holes through 300 lb hogs, through both shoulder and keep going! The little 200 went through a hog lengthwise when it charged Kaido last year.

Here is a price sheet and info letter Kaido sent to me-along with his email address. If you want, send him your cell or home phone and ask him to call you and visit about his bullets. Also, like someone mentioned, you can go to YouTube and type in Kaido Conicals and there is about 6 or 8 videos about the efficiency of the bullets and accuracy.

Kaido bullets-e-mail--kaido93@hotmail.com

VKV Products & Services is Proud To Offer To Responsible Shooters and Hunters The Following Specialty Items: Customized Projectile Molds, Customized Black Powder Rifles and Pistols, Percussion Revolvers and Related Parts & Accessories, Cutlery (Cold Steel), Historic Cold War Military Surplus Uniforms & Gear:

Custom Cast Stepped Universal Kaido Bullets:
---------------------------------------------------------

Note: Due To The Raising Prices of Material Lead and the Processing Of that potentially hazardous material and the preparation and aftercare and costs there of, I charge the prices to produce my Custom Bullets at the prices they are and Reserve the right to increase the cost at any time with out any specific special notice.

Custom Cast, 220, 240 & 255 grain in 44/45 Caliber , Stepped Round Flat Nose,(RFN Style) (VKV BG) (Big Game) "Kaido Bullet" Series Universal Stepped Bullets All the 200, 240 and 255 grain in purer Lead. Cost $25.00 per 50 Bullets. (See Shipping Rates Bellow) All Custom Universal Bullets Can be Made Custom To Individual Order From Pure Lead hardness 4 to a 50/50 Wheel Weight Mix for an Estimated hardness of 11 BHN. For Bigger successfully Hunting Bigger Animals where Penetration is needed.

140 Grain 36 Caliber: (0.377) The (VKV SMG C&B Universal 36/357-38) Caliber
Round Flat Nose, (RFN Style) VKV SMG, 36 C&B Bullets. "Kaido Bullets" for (Small & Medium Game) Cost $25.00 per 50 (See Shipping Rates Bellow) Estimated hardness 4 to 11 BHN.
The 36 caliber bullets can be cast of Pure Lead (4 BHN) or cast slightly harder than pure lead for Penetration for hunting game animals. The 36 caliber Universal Bullets are just that and work also in Metallic Cartridge Arms in 38/357 Magnum caliber as well.
These are custom items tailored for hunters with a BHN Hardness of est.; 4 to 11. Pure Lead and harder alloy mix of 50/50 Lead Wheel Weights. Thus giving Maximum Penetration on thick Skinned Big Game Animals and yet not stressing the Loading Lever. Original 19th Century Black Powder Percussion Revolver Bullets often had Tin mixed in for a slightly harder better cast and shaped bullet.

Generally all Bullet orders come with a piece of Specialty Black Powder Lube,(Bees Wax & Co Co Nut Oil) for do it your self lube. I lube (1) Bullet to show how a Lubed Bullet should look. Bees Wax is the Kind of Black Powder lubricants this it is a specialty, it is not Crisco.
----------------------------------------------------------

Prices For Custom Kaido Universal Bullet Molds Are As Follows:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Cavity Custom 220, 240 and 255 Grain Round Flat Nose style; VKV BG (BIG Game) Universal (Kaido) Stepped Molds are $89.00 each with out shipping. S&H $13.00 (Will fit up to (2) 6 Cavity Molds with (2) sets of handles and (1) Two cavity 36 caliber Universal Bullet Mold. The Six Cavity Custom Molds, DO NOT come With Handles, Handles are available at $18.00 if wanted. Total Fee for (1) Custom 6 cavity Kaido Universal Bullet mold, with Handles and S&H is currently $120.00 USD.

NOTE: The 255 grain Molds are Sold Out with NO New Replacement available. If enough demand is there then I will do a mold run for the 255 grainer.
36 Caliber,(377) 140 grain VKV SMG 36 C&B Universal Bullet is a Kaido RFN 140 grain design. the Molds of which currently come in Two Cavity, they come with built on Handles and cost is $51.00 Plus Confirmed Shipping Handling in USA is $10.00. For a Total of $61.00

Special Notice: Return & Sales Policy:
Must Be Acknowledged & and Agreed Upon By the Buyer:

Please note items, Molds and Custom Cast Universal Bullets, are pre inspected, They are of high quality and as such sold as such with No Returns, Refunds or Exchanges.

All Prices are calculated in and paid with United States Dollar Currency.
Or Transferred via International Bank Calculations.

All Molds & Bullets have been pre inspected. I sell High End Quality Products. My Universal Bullets and Molds are unique and there are none like them. All are Pre Inspected. With No visible defects, as such the Molds & Bullets are sold as Is. They are in High Quality New Condition. As such there are No Refunds or Returns, Exchanges on Molds or Bullets. This is in accordance with the norm with Ammunition sales.

Should there be a manufacturing defect with the molds they are to be sent to LEE Precision (The manufacturer) for repair (eg. Sprue Plate Handle Replacement) which a Customer had and LEE Precision Replaced Immediately for Free. Any such replacement must be addressed to LEE Precision as I do not take back exchanges or returns. LEE Precision's Contact Telephone Number is:(01) (262) 673-3075. Fax#(262) 673-9273. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30am-3:45pm Central Standard Time (CST) In the USA.

LEE did a more higher quality job that they do on here standard production run molds.

As Materials And Manufacturing Costs Do At Times Increase, So Will The Costs Of My Custom Bullets and Molds, I Reserve the Right To Increase Prices At Any Time With Out Any Special Notice.

Due to the higher cost of Pure Lead and the Detailed Extensive Preparation, Processing and aftercare of Lead, Wheel Weights, etc a Potentially Dangerous material and the reality of continued lesser availability of Lead Wheel Weights, prices have increased. As a result of the increasing Costs, VKV Products Reserves The Right To Change Prices On Custom Cast Universal Bullets with out any special notice given at any Time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping & Handling: = (S&H)
---------------------------------------------
U.S. Post Office; Priority Shipping is used I ship both any where in the USA and World. I have European customers so shipping to Europe is no problem.

Small Box Shipping & Handling in the USA is $6.25. The Small Priority box will hold 100+ 220/240/255 Bullets. About (200) 140 grain 36 Cal bullets

Medium size Boxes S&H is $13.00 Note: Medium Size has Two Shapes of Boxes,. 1st is The Shirt Shaped Box This is for Molds. The other Medium Shaped Box is Square in Shape, it is a Shipping container for Large Custom Bullet Orders The Medium Box will hold
approximately 800 mixed 240/255 and 36 caliber Custom Bullets.
Large Priority Shipping Box S&H Cost in USA is $17.50.
All New York State Residents will pay NYS Sales Tax, sorry it is the law.

European Destinations Shipping Rates:
------------------------------------------------
The Shipping & Handling Fee Rate for one, (220/240/255) Grain Custom Mold with Handles to most European destinations is, $28.60. Each in USD.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment:
------------
Wal-mart Money Gram or U.S . Postal Money Order, or by International Bank Check/Money Order Only. No Personal Checks.

I avoid Pay Pal as they charge me for each transaction and I would have to pass that fee on to the customer.

Please send all, Money Grams U.S. Postal Money Orders and Intl Bank Checks Money Orders . Please address on the outer envelop to V K V Products/Services: NOTE: Leave the Name Area Blank on the actual PMO Money Gram etc.

Send To:
VKV Products & Services
254 Betsy Ross Drive
Orangeburg, N.Y.10962
U.S.A.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the original post was about 36 cal and we've progressed to 44.
and then to sales literature for kaido.
Items to be bought / sold are supposed to be in the forsale section not the open board.

Before you blindly buy his product, do some research.
Some people have had their guns fail using the excessively heavy slugs.
Not saying it is his fault, as each must take their own responsibility for how they load their own gun and not exceed the manufacturers safety recommendations.

The metals in our guns is not as strong as those in modern cartridge guns.
While BP and the subs are relatively stable pressure wise,realize, Newtons law.
Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. Thus the heavier slug based on weight, and a larger sealing area creating a larger friction footprint is going to make it want to stay at rest, untill heavier pressures build to get it moving.

Also in order to gain the increase in weight up to 240 and 255 gr, the projectile can not be made bigger in diameter, it must be made taller.
Thus you will have to sacrifice some powder capacity so that the slug can sit lower in the chamber, and still be flush with the chamber face.
And it will likely not fit through the loading window, without modifying that area.

One last thing on a more personal note. You must mind your P's and Q's when dealing with him.
If you get argumentative with him, or ask too many questions etc.
His demeanor changes. So just beware.

We load the .36 Kaidos right on the gun (1858). The 220 was developed so it could be loaded on an unmodified gun. We load the 240s using the Tower of Power cylinder loading stand. Some minor dremeling, if one is so inclined, will enable the loading of the 240s on the gun (1858/1860).

i didn't have a 36 conical so i rolled a 44 under a file. from .450 to .452". if i can find a courser file it should raise it more. i will roll a few more and try to fire them next week and see how they print on paper.

Back