If you love your Glock 19, why would you not choose the corresponding Glock in .357 Sig???

If you want to go .357 Magnum (which means you have great versatility with the option of shooting .38 Special) that's not a bad idea either.

I don't like the current offerings and if I were buying I'd get an older (pre-lock) Smith and Wesson Model 686 or 66.

The 66 is a slightly smaller frame and may fit your hand better.

>>You might want to note that the Glock 32 is chambered for .357 Sig while the revolvers you list are in the more common .357 magnum.<<

Yes, take note!

If I were to buy a .357 today it would be the Wiley Clapp GP100.
DSC00640.JPG

So would I Steve!

Alas..

Best I can do is my Canadian 3 inch GP-100.

attachment.php

Shoots dead on with 158gr LSW gas checked slugs and 8 grains of Unique.

Saw a 4 incher, also fixed sights, at a gun show for $550. But I have no tickie right now to washie.

Deaf

I'm a long-time, big fan of the .357. I have the utmost confidence in the stopping power of the round. And they don't have to be wide-open-throttle, full-power rounds to be effective (the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain, being an excellent example).

For me, the choice is the Smith 686. I own three: a 4", an 8 3/8", and a 7-shot 3". But there a lot of good ones out there. Taurus 66 is a fine piece too.

I have nothing against semi-autos; and I own a few myself. But if I ever have to defend myself against a bad guy, I hope I have a .357 in my hand. Sturdy, easy to use (point-n-click), reliable, and powerful.

I used to own a GP100 6". It was a real pleasure to shoot, even with full-power loads, largely because of the weight. Now I own a SP101 3" and feel that it's a real pleasure to shoot as well; however, that's because I'm used to 357 Magnum. My point is start with a bigger gun with a longer barrel and lighter loads, and work your way up from there. Maybe you'll come to the point where you like shooting full-power 357 loads out of a SP101; or then again, maybe you won't. Regardless, it's not the best starting point for most.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth. Hope it helps.

Kels73

Tried it out!

So, went to the range & rented the Ruger GP161. Got a box of .38s & a box of .357s. The GP was the heaviest gun I have tried but it was nicely balanced. The .38s were fun to play with. Then I moved on to the .357s. Wow, what fun! Bigger recoil than my Glock19, but not difficult to handle. I will rent the 161 again & practice with it before moving on to a smaller .357. Thanks for all the suggestions and information!

You don't have to have a revolver to have a .357 mag. Check out the Coonan .357 mag. I own one and they are a great firearm. My wife enjoys shooting it also.

The .38s were fun to play with. Then I moved on to the .357s. Wow, what fun!

Glad you had fun. You might consider some lessons or at least have an instructor check your grip.

The most important part of handling rounds like the .357 is the person holding the gun.

I have a Ruger SP101 spurless (5 shot) and a Smith and Wesson 686-6 + (7 shot)....both in 357 Magnum.

Had both of them for about 10 years and love em both, but just a little more love for the SP101:)

Something about the .357 Magnum that I like.

Glockmom - I see you're in NC. "The Triangle" happens to have a number of good-to-excellent revolver shooters who'd happily let you try an array of revolvers, so if you're in the area, and interested, let me know and I can arrange something.

686 or SP101. In revolvers. For sure, those are great revolvers.

I have a S&W Model 19-3 and I love that thing. For the range I mainly shoot .38spcl through it and .357 when I want a kick.

In a semi auto? I'd go with the Glock 32 as you said. Same controls and code of arms as you Glock 19 (what I carry every day 24/7/365).

I love my .357 Sig in the P229. It shoots great but if you shoot the 1400 to 1500 fps loads it was developed for it does have a hefty kick to it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368043063.525169.jpg

Back