357 vs 44 mag: rifle version

I have a Uberti 1873 clone in 357 magnum. It is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. I use it for plinking or lever action silhouette shooting. It is adequate for the 200 yard game, and when downloaded properly, shoots the pistol caliber game just fine also. If I do the aiming properly, the rifle gets the job done.

If I don't include the cost of brass, the expendables per cartridge are about 6 cents apiece. I like it quite a little bit. The bullets are easy to cast, size, and lube, and the cartridge has to be one of the most simple to load.

I haven't shot a 44 mag rifle yet. For my uses I don't see getting one anytime soon. Guys like them, that's for sure.

I don't hunt anymore, so I have no commentary on that application.

While a .357 leevra-gun is potent against coyote sized game and small whitetail deer within 50 yards, the .44 lever gun is TREMENDOUSLY more effective and can be used to hunt up to and including "big grizz" as they say.

The .357?

Not a chance in hell.

While I totally agree that the .44 is more than the .357 (and other than recoil that can't be a bad thing, right?), I have to say that "not a chance in hell" for the .357 is only your opinion, and I don't think its a fair one.

MR Wesson, Sharpe and many others took virtually everything that walks (including some large & insanely dangerous game) with .357 REVOLVERS. OK, they were experts, but the cartridge did not let them down.

I think there's a big difference between "not the best possible choice" or "there are better choices for the average hunter" and "not a chance in hell".

...potent against coyote sized game and small whitetail deer within 50 yards..

I think it's also mistake to transfer the limitations of a .357 revolver to a .357 carbine which will fire the same round with a very significant increase in velocity.

Hands down the 44 magnum, with 44 specials and high powered magnum loads it offers so much more capability. Advantage for the 38/357 is price of ammo, if you don't reload.

Back