357 v 45 colt

Old Stony said:
I have seen racoons shot with a .357 run clear out of sight into the woods to die.

I saw a deer shot with a 12ga slug at point-blank range, where the slug destroyed (completely severed) the aorta, blew holes in both lungs and shattered the off-side shoulder and the deer went over 150 yards.

Last year, I saw a buck shot through both lungs with a .243Win and it went over 100 yards. A few minutes later, another shot with a .243AI and it went about 100 yards, with holes in both lungs. I've seen them shot with 30-06, 7mm-08 and .270WSM and do the same thing.

It's funny, because someone talks about hunting deer with a 357sig or 9mm and the comparison is how inadequate they are compared to the 357mag. Talk about the 357mag and somebody says it's inadequate and compares it to a 45colt. Talk about the Colt and somebody says it's inadequate and compares it to a 44Mag.

It's really a whole lot of silliness. Most deer that are shot are going to run. Most deer that run are going to go between 50 and 150 yards with a PERFECT shot. It doesn't matter that they run. There's a hole in their important parts and those parts leak copious amounts of blood. Doesn't really matter if that hole was made with a broadhead, a 9mm, a 357mag, a 45colt, a 243Win, a 30-06 or a 12ga. If those important parts have holes in them, the animal will be dead in short-order and any hunter with even a modicum of competence will be able to follow the blood trail (or find friends who can if they happen to be color-blind).

If the animal is not soon dead and/or the blood trail is lost or not located, it's because the shot was poorly placed and almost never because the bullet came from "Cartridge X" instead of "Cartridge Y".

the 357.

problems
-light bullets NOT for deer, no penetration light wounding unless short range out of a rifle

I ain't buying that one bit.

I shot both these critters (and a lot more) with 150 gr LSWCs out of a 4" Model 28. Lack of penetration is NOT a problem with 357's.

As to 45 LC's, can't comment, never shot any critters with one.

(disregard the rifle in the second picture, that was put there for the benefit of my grandkids)

IMG_NEW.jpg

Buffalo.jpg

I have never stated that it can't be done, just that there are better ways of doing it with a better chance of a quick kill. A hole poked in most critters will result in their death eventually, and sometimes instantly. Maybe even with a .22 !! Lots of shock into the boiler room can make the outcome much better for you and the animal.

It doesn't matter what caliber you use as long as you know it's limitations. I have seen a deer solidly hit (meat, bone and lots of blood left at site of shooting and heavy blood trail for half a mile before disappearing) with a .30-06 jacketed soft point run off into the great beyond never to be seen again. I have also seen deer shot graveyard dead with .357 revolvers, .223, and even . 22 magnum rifles. Not that I recommend using a .22 mag or even a .223 on deer. If you try to shoot beyond your chosen caliber's effective range, or you do not put that piece of lead where it needs to go you have a good chance of wounding/losing an animal. I mainly use either a BP loaded .44-40 or a .30-30. Both rounds are "weak" according to a lot of "expert hunters". I have never lost a deer in my twenty five years of hunting. A .357 mag carbine is plenty good enough for deer at least out to 100+/-.

Buy a quality gun to run "Ruger Only" Colt loads and don't look back. Coming out of a carbine/rifle you're carrying more KE than the beloved 30-30 out a pistol cartridge.......

I figure a 30-30 round of 150 gr moving 2400 fps at the muzzle = 360

I figure a 45 colt round of 315 gr moving 1700 fps out of a rifle - 535

I figure the same 45 colt round moving 1400 out of a handgun = 441

All figured weight x velocity / 1000

I'm a little partial though.

Back