357 using 38+P

Jokerxx

Inactive
Ok I accidentally bought 38 Special +P (125 gr) rounds instead of standard 38 Special ammo. My wife shoots a Ruger Security Six 357. Can I shoot those safely? I have already marked the box for price paid, date and the store I bought them from, so I don't think they will take them back. I know I could pull the bullet dump the power and make my own loads, but I don't have those dies or shell plate for them.
Thanks.

Put them in a box and ship them to me. I have something they will work well in. :)

Better yet, buy a new gun they will work in.....

I have to say, this is not a good post for someone boasting instructor status.

And whatever happened to the old instruction leaflets that managed to squeeze in:
Ammunition: S&W .357 Magnum, .38/44 S&W Special, .38 S&W Special Hi-Velocity, .38 S&W Special, .38 S&W Special Super Police, .38 Special Mid Range.
And Colt got in .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, and .38 Colt Special.
?

(.38-44 and .38 Hi Velocity being .38 Special +P+ or more)

There you go. This is the +P hysteria of which I have spoken and written. This is not the first time I have seen owners of 357 revolvers ask if 38 +Ps were OK in their guns.

Jokerxx, FYI, 38 +P operates at around 18,000 - 20,000 PSI while 357 Magnums are cleared for 35,000 PSI chamber pressure.

There is also .38 Special +P+ which is OK in a .357, but possibly not in all .38 Special revolvers.

Jim

Joker,

Keep the +P .38s. I'll trade you a RG .38 for that Ruger Security Six.

That way you won't have to worry.

Cheers!

Deaf

I did review the pressures and felt it was with in limits, but looking to verify my thoughts. I guess some of us have learn things and not just naturally blessed. With that thanks for verification.

Just to reemphasize its reason for existance, the .38 Special +P round was intended for use in short barreled .357 Magnum revolvers. The idea was that the shorter barreled guns had shorter extractor throws and did not always reliably eject the .357 Magnum case. The .38 +P gave near magnum performance with more positive ejection.

Bob Wright

Kinda gotta agree. I was required to take the exact course you are an instructor for when I applied for my concealed carry license a few years back, the good thing about the NRA course is it transfers over to all 50 states if they require a course before licensing. Anyways, one of the subjects we covered is revolvers than can chamber different rounds. Normally I wouldn't call anyone out on such things, but the NRA basic pistol course is typically for new inexperienced shooters, and you owe it to them to give them not only all the information they need, but to be accurate as well.

And whatever happened to the old instruction leaflets that managed to squeeze in:
Ammunition: S&W .357 Magnum, .38/44 S&W Special, .38 S&W Special Hi-Velocity, .38 S&W Special, .38 S&W Special Super Police, .38 Special Mid Range.
And Colt got in .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, and .38 Colt Special.
?

Are you saying all of these can be shot in a 357 magnum? The only ones I think I have ever seen are 357 mag and 38 Special. I read TFL because there is much knowledge to be gained.

Just to reemphasize its reason for existance, the .38 Special +P round was intended for use in short barreled .357 Magnum revolvers. The idea was that the shorter barreled guns had shorter extractor throws and did not always reliably eject the .357 Magnum case. The .38 +P gave near magnum performance with more positive ejection.

Bob Wright

You sound like you are talking about semi autos with extractors and ejectors. What semi autos shoot .357 MAG and/or .38 SPL?

The way Bob Said it is a little strange, but I believe what he says is correct if some leeway in the terminology is given. He may even be correct in terminology but vernacular use has separated from technically correct terminology. Judging from previous posts I think he knows considerably more than I do.

Those two certifications are what is popular for CCW instructors in Ohio. I am fairly sure this item isn't in the curriculum, but i can't imagine teaching without such basic information. If the certifications were received simply to receive more extensive training on the basics it is no problem. I know several who have taken the more extensive instructor classes for that reason.

If you shot them from a Security Six she probably would not feel the difference because of the weight of the Gun. But, I wouldn't waist them. Sneak a few in when she practices. If they are accurate in her Gun, save them for a carry load or carry for reloads. You can NEVER have too much extra ammo. You are not allowed to return ammo by most State Laws. If all ells fails you can sell it to someone.;)

Back