.357 sig vs .40

I was a big 357 sig fan for over ten years but I've switched to 40S&W. The muzzle report and ammo cost were the two main factors for leaving the 357 sig. The 40S&W offers more versatility.

Why did you mention Beretta 96D?

Bad gun?

Chunk of unmitigated crap.

The one I was issued could not get thru a magazine without a failure to return to battery. One day a new wolf recoil spring came in the mail and fixed it. The one I was issued had the "M" prefix which meant 2 things, it was made for the INS contract and was 1 of 30,000 assembled in a month. Beretta had mistakenly fired "proof" loads through them. Their fix to that was to throw a new barrel in. I could not keep an entire magazine load on an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper from a sandbagged bench rest at 25 yards.

The average lifespan of one was 4-6K rounds. Mine went 3000 rounds and cracked the frame. That made me happy as I could then carry an H&K.

The non shooters loved it.

.357 Sig: Must be effective vs. bad guys

Howdy,

The .357 Sig seems to have alot going for it. It's ballistics fairly mimic the vaunted .357 magnum, yet allow increased capacity and purportedly less recoil.
If my bank account were in better shape, this is a caliber I'd strongly consider.

It's ballistics fairly mimic the vaunted .357 magnum, yet... purportedly [has] less recoil.
Having fired guns in .357Sig, I don't believe that it necessarily has less recoil. It's just that...
  • It's usually used in flexible-framed tactical plastic autoloaders that inherently have less felt recoil than a good ol' steel frame revolver.
  • The performance of most .357Sig loads falls short of top-end .357Mag loads.
I'll tell you this much. Having fired a G33, this round has SERIOUS muzzle flash and blast from a short barrel, just like .357Mag! As with a traditional .357 snubby, when you take a G33 to the range, other shooters will congregate around your lane to investigate what's making all the noise! :D

The .357 Sig out of a 239 isn't that bad for recoil. Out of that short barrel it's probably not realizing full potential, but it's probably doing a lot better than a 9mm would. I don't think I'd like it out of something too much smaller, though.

I have actually been researching the 357 Sig since my last post and I like what I see. So much so that I ordered a barrel for my Glock 27 and some ammo from Underwood. Just yesterday I traded for a beat up Glock 31 C and took here for a run today.

Wow, I love it!!! I would categorize recoil as hot 9mm. Winchester white box 125 JHP's are rated at 1350 FPS and the Underwood is rated at 1450 FPS from a 4" barrel. That is smoking in anyone's book.

It looks like a PITA to reload. The beauty of it is swap a 40 barrel in and walla.... 40..... Mags work for either as well.

My Glock 27 is my EDC, but this 31 C will replace it for winter EDC.

You need to become a reloader.

I shoot my 357 sig a lot more than my 40 short and weak because bullets are cheaper for the 9mm over the 40. Generally I can do 8 to 10$ saved per 500 on 9mm's over 40's and that is not trying much.

Besides, the 357 sig is a lot more fun to shoot and usually exceptionally accurate.

The .357 Sig is superior to the 9mm, .40, .45 ACP, and .357 in terms of penetration. (Note: the .357 Sig is only superior to the .357 Mag in terms of penetration because using FMJ bullets in a revolver is NOT recommended.)

Just look at body armor ratings, Type II and IIa armor will stop 9mm, .40, .45 ACP ammo; but if you want to stop .357 sig bullets you better be wearing Type IIIa armor (which is what you need to stop .44 Mag bullets as well.).

Considering the number of bad guys wearing body armor these days, a .357 sig that will shoot through Type II and Type IIa armor might be a good option.

One of the oft overlooked benefits of the .357 Sig is that not alot of people own them.

I noticed during the late ammo shortage, even when the local Wal-mart was out of 9mm, 40 S&W, .38 Spec and .45 they always had several boxes of .357 Sig on the shelf.

If you were a highway patrolman whose greatest risk is probably a gunfight with someone who is in a car, would you rather have a .357 magnum classic, .357 Sig, .40, 10mm, .41 magnum, or .45 ACP?

Doesn't matter. If I get back to the car I'm pulling the AR-15 out of the trunk.

And there we have it folks. Somebody with their head out is fighting their way back to their rifle. I thank God for Buzzcook's life.

I own both, mostly carry the .40 do to I stand behind the bigger bullet idea. when you have to shoot an attacker I'd rather make a bigger hole in his chest or forehead vs say a .22 which would prob just make him angry

I noticed during the late ammo shortage, even when the local Wal-mart was out of 9mm, 40 S&W, .38 Spec and .45 they always had several boxes of .357 Sig on the shelf.

This was posted almost a year ago. These days forget about range ammo for 357 Sig. 40 is far and away the most available of anything.

Back