357 Sig THE up and comming caliber !

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott90501

With a caliber that has the characteristics of the 357 Magnum for an autopistol, it's a DEFINITE WINNER !

The US Secret Service, after testing, has switched to it ! They just placed an order (from Winchester) for ONE MILLION ROUNDS !Texas DPS and Louisiana State Patrol recently switched also !

With the few Texas DPS officer invloved shootings since switching, they were all ONE SHOT STOPS ! They did testing through barriers like car doors and windshields and the velocity was still more than enough to get the job DONE !

My GLOCK 31 is on the way ! ($412 stock - mine was $462 + shipping with Trijicons)

------------------
Lose that nickel plated sissy pistol, get yourself a GLOCK !

It is an impressive caliber...
But dont get caught up in hype - There is no majic bullet - or caliber...
Those one shot stops could have been because of better shot placement or something or another.

A 135 grain P+ .40 like say from Triton or Corbon - is doing pretty much the same thing.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Scott, be prepared for a hell of a handgun. That thing will buck like a mule. Now in my SIG 229, 357 SIG is a sweetheart!
.357 SIG has been issued to Texas DPS for at least a year now. I heard the same favorable reports and bought one from a LE supplier. The ammo was very hard to come by because DPS had been buying so much.
George you are 100% right. A former instructor of mine (he's also a DPS Sgt. and instructor) related a story about a gunfight involving 2 DPS Troopers (male and female). I won't go into the details, but the officers both fired a total of 18 rounds at 1 fleeing suspect who had stuck a pistol in the males ear. They found the guy a little later scared out of his wits. Not a single round hit him.
I also heard a story a while back about a AMT Backup in .357 SIG used in a shooting. The officer fired the AMT, 1 shot stopped the suspect, and 1 slide assembly stopped the officer...momentarily.

Hmmm... this in contrast to the glowing article about the .357 AMT BU, in "Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement."

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

As I understand it, the chamber pressures in the .357 Sig are as high as anything short of a Casull. I'd be VERY wary of shooting them through Glocks because of the unsupported chamber issue that these guns never seem to shake loose. The number of KB's in .45 ACP Glock 21's still seems to be on the increase, Glock are so concerned they see the need to publish updates on their web site, and the .357 Sig operates at much much higher pressures than a .45. Personally, autos that put the slide into your front teeth, bullet fragments in your eyes and turn your hands into hamburger are definitely not my idea of personal protection or a fun day at the range. Guess only time will tell.

------------------
Mike H

I'm pretty sure my Glock 33 _has_ a supported chamber. Anyway, I've had nothing but great results with the little Sig round.

Hey, FWIW (not much) NM state cops are going to the Sig, too. Yay, more cheap ammo around here!

Great cartridge, hairy freaking pressure, I REFUSE to manufacture it for sale!
I'll stick with my 9's, 10's, 45's, and revolver cartridges.........but to any who use it, please take great care when reloading it 'cause there's very little room for error.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

FWIW AMT has supposedly revamped and strengthened the newer .357 SIG backups. If they did, I never heard about it.
Caveat emptor.

Just a couple of passing notes on the .357 SIG cartridge:

1. I am told by local gunsmiths and in the gun media that converting standard .40S&W guns to .357 SIG by changing barrel and spring can be a hazardous enterprise. The higher pressures involved can exceed that which the firearm is designed to handle. In fact, I am told converting .40 S&W Glocks to .357 SIG voids the warranty.

2. It is not accurate to say that the .357 SIG is a necked down .40 S&W case. The start brass for .357 SIG is a bit longer so it can have the same overall length as a .40S&W after necking down. Also, the .357 SIG case is a bit thicker also. One cannot neck down .40 S&W brass to make .357 SIG.

A question: how is the recoil in the .357 SIG round?

It was my understanding that the .357 Sig bbls for the Glocks had supported chambers and were ported. I was seriously considering getting a drop in for my G27. If they don't, I'll have to put more thought into the issue.

The .357 Sig is a winner! If you want it in a safe, concealable, accurate, reliable, fun to shoot platform, launch it from a Sig 239. Regards, Dennis

yeah..yeah..yeah.. don't get something for nothing. I remember shooting many rounds of 357 Mag through my M19 Combat Masterpiece. Sharp recoil, light, hidden gun..stopped hurting ASAP or I quit pulling the trigger. I got guns that recoil.. maybe I'm getting old and don't care to hear the hype..260, 357 Sig, 454 Casuall..piss. I believe when I see or you convince me. TODAY.. not for nothing.. you pay for real 357M stopping power. Don't get me wrong..I'm a sadist. I like my 300grn. 44 mag rounds. I think they're cool...but as a hard sell Defense round..I'm sold on my Cor Bon 9mm Glock-Talk.

My .357 SIG is a Glock 22 with the longer, reinforced rails, a Wolff guide rod and XP recoil spring, and a BarStyo drop in barrell. Works great, very accurate. I put together a batch of reloads with the listed starting weight of Blue Dot, and the loads were somewhat hotter than factory, based on blast, recoil, and primer indentations. This is one to be even more careful than normal with.

I agree with some of you about being weary of the hype concerning the .357 SIG. It is still pretty new for a defense round. I happen to really like it myself. I have a SIG P239 and I don't find the recoil or blast a problem and the ballistics that the .357 put out don't look bad either.

Is the new urban legend the story about the "unsupported" glock barrels???
I keep seeing this statement pop up all the time, usually from people who don't have glocks.
I have a Glock 27 and it seems to do the job just fine.
As for the .357sig. Isn't it really just a 9mm bullet going alot faster?

I am glad this was brought up.
I think the .357 Sig is a fad.
Compare a +P+ 9mm with a .357 Sig.
What do you get, like maybe 50fps more out of the .357 Sig? AND a loss of capacity?
Why would I buy a whole new gun, that is a pain to reload for, that I can't find ammo for (and when I do it is $17 a box for practice rounds), and lose capacity....all that for a *little* more velocity than I get out of my Glock 9mm with +P+ LEO rounds.

I don't get it. It seems like a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Also, Mike H, I think you are a little mistaken. Glock kB's are in the .40 variety. The .45 is very low pressure and I have only hear dof one .45 Glock kB. Ther have been a number of .40 kB's. But your point still stands. Also, Glock does not have a website.

Ps- The 1911 chamber is similary "unsupported" and it has done well for a long time, so the concept is not new, and I believe it is there to add reliability.

I like the .45: low recoil, low muzzle flash and a big hole with all the proven stopping power.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited October 02, 1999).]

Where to start?

The case is designed to take the 40K pressures and does so just fine. The Glock 357 barrels have more support than the 40s.
(Plenty of Glock 45s are kBing BTW. Call the Amarillo TX PD ask for Mike Dunlap; they've had several).

TX DPS, Viginia and Delaware SP, several large counties and cities. The USSS is using the Win 125 Ranger SXT load, which is LE only so far. Fed, Rem, Winchester, Speer, Hornady make 9 10mm loads, 12 for the 357 SIG. The ammo sells better than 10mm around here. Same price as the 40. I like the Blazer myself. A few guns, lots of barrels for Glocks and SIGs being sold here.

I like the 357S. Have two Glock 32s. One smooth grip, one FG&R. And two OEM Glock 40 barrels just in case. :)

My 40/357 ammo swaps and works in all my 40/357 mags (this is not the sure thing in Glock it is in SIG).

I prefer the Glock to the SIG and HK compact 357; a little stiffer, but a lot less flip.
Feels like the 180 40s; less kick than the 155/165s. More blast/noise. Better accuracy.

From my G32 the 125 CorBon avgs 1420 fps, Gold Dot 1400, the Fed and Rem 1385, the Hornady 124 1370, the 147 1190. Way more than any +P+ 9mm.

In-house T&E at Glock shows same/better reliability as the 9/40s, no probs with durability so far. You can drop a 357 barrel in any of the Glock 40 frames w the reinforced front(which was done for the 40
before the 357 SIG came out BTW) and any G27. Glock OKs it and will still honor your warranty too, but only in those frames (and any G27). Why Glock will sell you a G33 barrel, but not a G31/32 barrel.

The TX DPS switched from the "proven" 45 cuzz the loads they used (Speer 200 JHP, 200 Gold Dot +P, 230 Black Talon, 230 BT +P)were not stopping as well as their old Magnums.

The 357 SIG is doing well for them. So far so good. One serious failure could change all that in an instant too. :)

It's good. Nothing any other good round can't do. What's wrong with another good option? :)

------------------
>>>>---->

unicron,

I don't think you need to buy new magazines for the .357 SIG... the .40 uses the same mag. Get what you like. I'll keep shooting my 9mm for a LONG time.

Shoot safely,
Ben

Red Bull,

Although this is getting off the topic slightly, you're right the official Glock website isn't up and running yet, I was refferring to Glock World, one of the alternate websites Glock actually provide links to in the meantime. As far as the Kb problem is concerned it is a recognised phenomenon in ALL Glock .40, 10mm and .45 ACP handguns as these weapons have unsupported chambers in the 6 o'clock position over the feed ramp as a measure of improving reliability. Other possible factors are listed as being the fact that a Glock will fire when not in battery, use of lead bullets and use of a specific powder namely AA#5. No Kb's for reasons other than not going into battery have been reported in any 9mm or .380 pistol (models 17, 17L, 18, 19, 25, 26 and 28). You are correct in stating that the 1911 has a similarly unsupported case, but these supposedly indestructable guns have suffered numerous case separation problems directly attributable to case bulging caused by lack of support particularly in early .38 super versions. IMHO I still suspect the Glock was a one trick (9x19mm) pony and as such the Mod 19 is a great all round PD gun, just to further muddy the water there are increasing reports of Kb's in HK USP.40's, a gun that was designed for the .40 S&W AND has a fully supported chamber, go figure.

Glock fans, I know you'll flame me for the above, but I've seen a gun go up in a fellow shooters face and I will never shoot any piece that I consider to be at risk if that means I'm over reacting then so be it, why buy hamburger when you can have steak (Sig)

------------------
Mike H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back