357 Sig and 40 S&W Why no round nose ammo

B.S. A round nose bullet has more mass farther back and they tend to be longer overall. This requires deeper seating so they will fit in your magazine. A 200 grain 10mm bullet is not intended for 40S&W due to space constraints, just read a speer reloading manual. If you wanted to load round nose, you may want to drop to 155 grains in 40S&W. Now the 357 sig is notorious for losing case neck tension with the wrong choice of bullets. If you disagree with me you don't know what you are talking about. Round nose bullets have to be seated so deep, the part that would normally be held tight in say a 9mm case is below the neck in the 357 sig and the tapered portion of the bullet is all the case has to hold onto. There has been a few articles written on the subject by people more knowledgeable than myself.

And as far are armor piercing handgun projectiles, don't be so foolish as to believe ammo companies don't take body armor penetration into consideration when designing ammo to sale the public. A 38 super shooting 90 grain round nose at above 1500 fps would be hard for a vest to stop. Just because it would not be a traditional load doesn't mean people would not buy it.

rc

rc, the world is not as simple as you think.

RN bullets can and do work in both the 40 and 357 Sig.

I've loaded 5 different RN bullets in the 40. Berrys (1), Bayou (2), RMR (1), Ibejiheads (1). One of the Bayou bullets was 200 grains!

With respect to the 40 S&W, 200 grain bullets work just fine. I can't find any reference to 200 grain bullets in the 40 in the Speer manual. What page or section is that in?

Apparently Alliant, Hornady, Hodgdon, Nosler, Western Powders (Ramshot, Accurate) and Vihtavuori didn't get the memo because they have load data for 200 grain bullets in the 40 S&W.

Buffalo Bore, Underwood and Doubletap offer 200 grain bullets in their 40 S&W lineup.

Hornady has load data for their 100 grain RN, 115 grain RN and 147 grain RN bullets in the 357 Sig. It all comes down to bullet nose shape, and there are several short nose bullets that work in the 357 Sig. Anything used in the 380 qualifies.

As far as the armor piercing ammo goes, again, you're clueless. Read post #19 again.

why no round nose ammo? another reason is simply because the factory(s) aren't loading them. Why? ask them, but I suspect its a matter of market demand.

I can remember a time when there were "no" hollowpoints, as factory loaded ammunition. Handloaders could (And we did) load hollow points, but the big ammo makers didn't. Not in auto pistol calibers, and rarely in revolver rounds.

The only hollow points commonly found were .22LR.

Then Super Vel came along, and the game changed.

There's a ton of reloading bullets you can use in the .357Sig and the .40S&W. The factories load what they think will be popular. Often they are right. :rolleyes:

Back