.357 Shells Hard to Extract.

If I shoot a box or two of shells through a revolver I will do a lazy cleaning job on it. It is ten minutes max, including drinkin' a cold one or watchin' a movie or readin' this forum, or probably all three together. The chambers get a soaked wire brush through them once or twice, and four or five passes with a cloth patch to mop it up. I do the barrel just a little bit better. And I swipe at a few other things.

My Fil is a veteran and is appalled by my (&^%$##@!) "dirty" guns.

But I have been shooting revolvers regularly for 35 years, and have never had the "shorter cartridge ring of crud" problem (or any other problem not related to broken parts). I shoot 38's out of 357 revolvers, 44 specials out of 44 magnums, and old weak 32's out of 32 magnum cylinders. My revolvers are completely reliable, plus quick and easy to reload.

IMHO, if you even do just barely a mediocre job of keeping your revolver clean, shooting shorter cartridges in a longer cylinder will not be a problem.

Last edited:
I also had issues with a gun I bought used and they did not re-occur.
I left the "after I got it cleaned up the first time" off the end of that sentence. It really doesn't take much, but it seems some with revolvers literally nefer clean them.

Back