.357 Rossi lever action

Very nice guns. I got the opportunity to shoot one in 45-70. I really liked it. It didn't any issues, looks nice too. My only complaint is when you remove the scope mount there's slight scratches in the finish. The gun is also extremely light too. It's lighter than a NEF in 45-70, so recoil is a bit strong. But with .357 mag it won't bother you any. And if you can, I suggest getting the bigger loop, makes it much easier to cycle.

I have a Rossi m92 in .44 mag 24 inch hex barrel. Shoots great with no issues. Only thing I dislike is the plastic from sight, but that is preference.

found out that Marlin now makes the 1894 .357 in stainless now, this will put the Rossi on hold until i can get a Marlin in my paws to look at it :D

I've been looking at a Rossi rio grande 30-30 for some time now. After reading all the interesting comments, ill think ill buy 1. That SS really appeals to me. The Rossi does feel more of a solid weapon than the Marlin 336 they have at Walmart for about $325. I can get the Rossi for $400 @ my local gun shop. It's been decided, I'm going with the Rossi!!
Thanks for the input

I have shot some Marlins, Rossi, Henry and Winchesters in 357 magnum. Of the ones I shot I would say that the Rossi is the lowest quality and would need more work to break it in.

I saw some one mention the 1873s. Correct me if I am wrong but are those not the weaker toggle actions? I would not trust those to the hotter 357 magnum loads on a regular basis. They work great for cowboy loads but the 73s will not take the hunting loads very long and a failure would result in a bolt to the face.

I do love how the 73s look though. If I could find one that would handle a steady diet of buffalo bore level 357 magnum ammo I would buy it.

The newer Winchester 1892s are really sweet. They are made in Japan but then most lever actions are made out side the USA now days.

The Marlins are nice because they are easy to scope.

Henry's are nice as well but they have 2 major down sides in my book. First they are heavy. Second they do not use a loading gate but use a tube similar to tube loaded 22LRs.

I saw some one mention the 1873s. Correct me if I am wrong but are those not the weaker toggle actions? I would not trust those to the hotter 357 magnum loads on a regular basis. They work great for cowboy loads but the 73s will not take the hunting loads very long and a failure would result in a bolt to the face.

Since they make and warranty the same basic gun in .44 Mag I doubt it. You also need to remember that the steel now used is of much higher quality than what was available in 1873. I've been shooting my '73 clone for about 5 years with full power .45 Colt rounds, I'm a CAS Shooter. The only trouble I ever had was with some really dirty loads I tried, just to much residue and unburnt powder.

I have heard about the 73s not being able to shoot hot ammo as well. I think they are absolutely the prettiest lever actions ever made. If I could find one that could take hot and heavy 357 magnums all day long I would let my son have my marlin that he wants.

Back