357 maximum

I'm a huge 357 magnum fan and would love a 357 maximum ANYTHING! It was said earlier very fine underrated cartridge.

A 336 with a long throat to accept 35 Rem bullets would do it for me! Kind of a little brother to the 444 Marlin.

oh nice!! some day when money is better and i can find a good gunsmith i may start buying firearms for the sole purpose of rechambering them!

I still hope to someday have a Dan Wesson in 357 max. as well as a 445 super mag. They'll sit nicely beside my .357 mag, 44 mag, and .22 mag. Then to round out the "magnum" family would be the 41 and 32 mags....

Would would be fun is a lever action like the '92 Rossi Puma trappers model with the big loop in .357 max. Especially if you could also shoot .357 mag and .38 special.

I originally started piecing a Contender together in 357 Magnum and when I was at the last point of finding a barrel my gunsmith friend found me a brand new "old" 10" Max barrel. My intent at the start was to have a fairly low recoil hunting pistol to shoot the Speer .358 180 gr SP rifle bullet. The Max just brought more to the party!:)

The Max is fun out of the contender. I have occasionally thought of getting a Ruger #1 rigged up in the Max but it is a bit small for the rifle. Why not do 38/55 instead I keep asking myself.

38-55 would be too sweet in a 26" heavy barrel Contender or Encore, I have a 10" octagon 25-35 and would love a rifle in this sweet old caliber.:)

This thread has got me looking at some Dan Wesson revolvers (mainly the super mag) in the maximum. What do you folks think about those? A revolver in the max has proved kinda hard to find. And a little costly. Any experience with them?

357maxes.jpg

bigdogs_cleaning.jpg

The model 40 is a great gun. I have one of the older Monson's with the full under lug barrel. Exceptionally accurate, fun to shoot. It just sort of rolls up in your hand. One complaint is mine is an older one that they surface finished the cylinder before final heat treating so when mine get hot it binds a bit. You can solve the problem with a larger cylinder gap but that leads to more spitting. Later models they heat treated first and then finished the cylinder face to avoid this issue.

Love the gun. One of my favorites. In fact tonight I will be reloading for it.

right now, everybody is out of 357max. hopefuly, i can get some to get my encore 19" mgm barrel to start reloading

max_brass.jpg

Last time Remington made a run, I stocked up. Interesting at the time that folks made fun of me for buying so much brass at once. I am still working on this box today. Actually before the football kicks in I will be making more Maxes today.

you are really lucky. i don't know when or if cases will be made.

:D i'll take 50 or 100 cases please. :D

you lucky dog, you!!!:D:p:D;)

The maximum should have been more popular. That said, I'd rather have a 360 DW +P. it should give similar performance in a ruger framed gun. Someday I might have to get one made and compare it ot the max!

Thanks for that peter very beautiful machines. Ive found a few. (That means like 3-4) online. Actually semi affordable. In the $1k range.

I'm shooting a Wesson Supermag for deer hunting. Love the snot out of this thing, except for the weight. Used to be able to shoot bowling pins one handed, but arthritis has made this a two hand gun for me lately. Never had great luck with cast bullets; I usually shoot 180 gr. XTPs over 19 gr or so of H110. One advantage of a heavy pistol is I can shoot that load all day w/out recoil bothering me!

Back