357 maximum carbine

Yes, but I have a 45/70 which overlaps with 444 nicely. Looking for a softer option.

I currently own several 45-70s and one .357max in a Win Low Wall. I can't understand the idea of thinking of the 45-70 being a heavy recoiling rifle and looking for something softer. The 45-70 has a tremendous amount of versatility regarding recoil and muzzle energy. All most all of my loads out of all my 45-70s are around 1300-1500fps using bullets from 300g to 405g and none of these loads are "stout" in any way. The original load of the 45-70 back in the day was somewhere around 1100fps and it killed millions of buffalo. Yes, it's not a flat shooting varmit round, but that's rarely needed shooting white tails in the North East or Mid West. Every single deer I've shot with the 45-70 has been a complete pass through even with these "light" loads, regardless of distance or angle. I will ad though, my 357max shots have all been complete pass throughs also using 180 grain bullets. The longest shot was this year and the distance was a lasered 93 yards and it was an end-to-end shot. Just load the 45-70 down if you can't find a 357max you like. FWIW, the 357mag(mag) is just about as effective out of a rifle as the max is. I've killed over 50 white tails with various 357mag handguns over the last 40+ years and have yet to lose one with that caliber. It's even more effective in a rifle such as the Marlin lever gun which I had.

Sometimes I wonder if I've wandered onto the everytown for gun control board with all the arguments AGAINST purchasing a firearm here.

Good to hear you have had such success with the 357 carbine.

I'm shooting loads labeled at 1900 FPS. They still arc quite a bit. The recoil, compared to a 12ga with slugs, is mild. I will be using it in one form or another until I find a 357 max or something else shiny catches my eye.

In 357 max I can get a much flatter and lower recoiling shot with sufficient power at the ranges I require. I may even be able to carry both barrels at the same time and decide when I get set-up.

They should both be great cartridges to start reloading for also.

Someone at the SP forum gave me a lead on a 357 Max.

Last edited:
Back